Sometimes Vintage Gear Just Sucked

Some more random thoughts. I think high end vintage gear is very hard to approach objectively. Two of the nicest guitars I've played were a 1954 (first year) Stratocaser (much messed around but a beautiful sounding and playing guitar) and an original 1958 sunburst Les Paul Standard. Did I like them because I knew what they were or becaue they were great guitars? I'm not sure. I have played very early blackguard Teles that I've not liked and earlier '50s goldtop Les Pauls I've not thought were worth the money, so it's probably not just that they were old or valuable. So I agree, somethimes vintage gear just sucked. But sometimes, like the old lady below, it didn't.

IMG0810.jpeg

Last edited:
I always liked this too - about as close to vintage as a factory made PRS gets. I really liked the Private Stock 1985 reissue I tried recently too. Are the newer ones better? Maybe, maybe not. They're certainly different. There's room for both I think.

IMG0816.jpeg

IMG0817.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe that was the name, I can’t recall. It was one of those black neck Teles, with a separate lockdown behind the nut.

I’m sure I could google it, but I’m trying to work my brain.

Ha ha. I made the mistake of buying an HSS strat that had the locking nut that had a cam lever on the side. It locked strings from the side not down like a floyd.

Ah.....it tried to lock the strings from the side.

I always liked this too - about as close to vintage as a factory made PRS gets. I really liked the Private Stock 1985 reissue I tried recently too. Are the newer ones better? Maybe, maybe not. They're certainly different. There's room for both I think.

IMG0816.jpeg

IMG0817.jpeg
Hold on there fella.....what is this and please post more pics of both.

I was lucky enough to try an early ‘50s D'Angelico Excel a few years ago and like you felt it didn’t play or sound that great. But when I thought about it I realised it was me rather than the guitar. The big jazz box guitars from the 40s and 50s were designed for a very specific type of music that I simply don’t know how to play. The people who did were the big band players who held them in such high esteem. Technically they were aiming for a different thing too - to be heard unamplified over horns and other instruments. So, for me, I decided it was a bit like like driving a 1930s Bentley Blower - they don’t drive like a modern hatchback but they still do what they were designed for very well. I had the chance to play a ‘50s New Yorker earlier this year and didn’t because having tried the Excel I know they’re just not my sort of guitar but I still think they’re beautiful instruments and I can see why people would want one and why they still command such high prices.

No doubt, but I meant to say that some are wonderful, while some haven’t aged well at all. It’s pretty easy to hear when an old guitar’s gone sour. I’ve played both good and bad. For the $50k some of these are fetching...I don’t think so.

Same with prewar Martins, etc.

Last edited:

IMG0816.jpeg

IMG0817.jpeg

This one? Again? That does it. I'm putting my blue '95 CE in the window. East in the AM, West in the PM. Full exposure!

I love this one!

I own a Norlin era (77) LP custom, which is considered by some, a period that Gibson made their worst guitars. By all accounts it’s a really nice sounding and playing guitar (after a re-fret and a complete electronics overhaul). I bought it for S2 money back in 2000, and I see them listed now for 4K and higher.
My ‘79 Les Paul Deluxe is the perfect example of the Norlin crap. However, let it dry out for 40 years, put jumbo frets on it, route out the bridge and put a Burstbucker in, and it’s a damned nice Les Paul. I even like the big headstock.
Hah, speaking of late-70s Les Pauls:

I have a 1979 Les Paul Deluxe, might be a close sister to @Boogie 's. But it plays very well! Good action, neck feels smooth. I got it in the late 90s from a co-worker who was selling it because he never played it. He had bought it new in 1979, played it for a while as a hobby, then kinda let the hobby lapse, got a real job, got married, etc. I was looking for something different from the Mexi-strat I was playing at the time, and even though it didn't have "real humbuckers" in it I took him up on the offer of paying him his asking price: what he had paid originally, CDN$400. I didn't realize until later when I showed it to a different co-worker what the likely true street value of it was - at the time about CDN$2000. I see very similar ones (cherry burst, plain three-piece top) listed on Reverb now for US$3K.

It was the guitar I played when I first started gigging with my current band, before I fell into the PRS black-hole alternate universe. I play it very rarely now, partly because I just love my PRSi so much, but also because it weighs a ton! Gotta be over 10 lbs! It is still in very good maybe excellent condition.

Last edited:
Here's a car example:I love 60s/70's carrs. Always wanted that dream car. I got the chance to take my bosses 64 mustang to an auto show. Beautiful red coup
Ended up being a terrible ride. Felt like I was driving an old vw. I think its the same with vintage equipment. Looks a lot better than it drives.

Here's a car example:I love 60s/70's carrs. Always wanted that dream car. I got the chance to take my bosses 64 mustang to an auto show. Beautiful red coup
Ended up being a terrible ride. Felt like I was driving an old vw. I think its the same with vintage equipment. Looks a lot better than it drives.
Yeah. My wife had a beautiful white 6.6 litre Trans Am for a few years. It looked and sounded great and accelerated well enough to push you well back into the seat, but at 160km/hr it started to shake enough you couldn’t really see through the rear window any more.

My modern sports car is so much smoother, and comfortable.

I need to buy something else so I can post some different pictures:) The pics are new though - I played it the other day and dumped it on its case and thought the sunlight was catching it nicely and highlighting the bit of remaining blue in the fake binding so took a few pics. This is it back in the day at RSM, not quite as faded - it's top right just above the dark bass (picture copied from Premier Guitar's article 20 Coolest Guitar Stores in the US - Volume 1). I think it was on display at RSM for around 20 years so get started with your CE... Second shot is also from when it was at RSM, which shows just how much it can vary depending on the light - that's pretty much how it looks today in some light. It's also shown briefly in RSM's Youtube video of 5 0040 (which I also owned for a bit).

a1c3a34f4a21496bbaac.jpg

a4bimage6.jpg

Good stuff! I got to see a Rasta up close and personal a couple of weeks ago. I was meeting a guy who was looking to buy one of my guitars. He showed up with a Rasta so I would know he wasn't some crackpot from the Internet. It was in great shape, too. I should have made him an offer.....

Good stuff! I got to see a Rasta up close and personal a couple of weeks ago. I was meeting a guy who was looking to buy one of my guitars. He showed up with a Rasta so I would know he wasn't some crackpot from the Internet. It was in great shape, too. I should have made him an offer.....

Oh yeah......that Rasta is sweet!!!

So I'm wondering why someone bringing a rasta friend to vouch for them would help show that they're not a crackpot from the internet but then worked it out. That said I'm not sure an interest in old PRS is a sign someone's sane either, but at least it shows their probably interested in guitars. Be fun to see any pics you took of it.

So I'm wondering why someone bringing a rasta friend to vouch for them would help show that they're not a crackpot from the internet but then worked it out. That said I'm not sure an interest in old PRS is a sign someone's sane either, but at least it shows their probably interested in guitars. Be fun to see any pics you took of it.

We met in the lobby of a local police station....got be safe! I only took one. And, before you ask, the synth stuff is velcro'd on. No screw holes!

rED0Z3c.jpg

We met in the lobby of a local police station....got be safe! I only took one. And, before you ask, the synth stuff is velcro'd on. No screw holes!

rED0Z3c.jpg

That's pretty cool! I wonder what the police thought - I've done deals in carparks, service stations and in cafes (and sat in an Aston Martin, sadly not mine) - never a police station. Neat it's still being used as these are 25 years old plus now - the synth stuff suggests it is.

Sorry Sergio - I seem to have turned your thread on the wonders of destroying or chucking vintage gear in to more of a celebration of the stuff.

Last edited:
Back