School me on Piezo's

Blakemore

Hey gang,

Looking to dive back into the core game and want a PRS with Piezo.
I had an HBI in 2005 that I foolishly sold but would love to get back in with another piezo guitar.

I played an HBII and a Custom 22 P today at the Nashville Guitar Center (neither were in colors I prefer) but both played exceptionally well. Both necks were Pattern carves and I absolutely fell in love with that carve. Very cozy and comfortable. It didn't feel like a baseball bat up around the 12th fret like my HBI did with its wide/fat carve.

Up until today, I just thought the P22 (P24) was the only solid body styled guitar with the piezo. I know the P22 came with the Pattern Regular carve which is definitely not my hands first choice given the smaller nut width. I've owned a few S2s and ultimately end up selling them because of the smaller width on the Pattern Regular carve. Hence my excitement today finding a solid body with piezo in the Custom 22 P with a neck carve and nut width I love.

Mainly just seeing what options are available with the piezo, what models have been re-named etc etc. It's tough to keep track of all the changes throughout the last 15 years.

I know I have the HBI and HBII options as well as the Custom 22 (24) P's. Anything else to keep an eye on with the Pattern or Wide Fat necks?
Thank you all for any input.

There are still some P245s out there and all have Pattern neck carves. Some even have RW necks.

I went the PS route to get the Pattern Vintage neck carve which I like even better.

Run the Piezo pickup through an acoustic guitar amplifier as opposed to a regular electric guitar amplifier in order to benefit from the full range of frequencies available to you.

Run the Piezo pickup through an acoustic guitar amplifier as opposed to a regular electric guitar amplifier in order to benefit from the full range of frequencies available to you.

Absolutely! I always ran my HBI through the PA with great results. I know they have upgraded the newer Piezo as well, so I’m excited to hear it.

Another question,
Are all P22s chambered? I’ve come across some ad speak that says it is, but not much else.

Link to my P22 in action. Please excuse the clams on Can't You See, my strap was on the wrong place on my shoulder and I basically couldn't feel my left hand!

ps-Piezo is running through an LR Baggs Para, straight into the PA

Last edited:
I feel a Piezo is missing from my collection and looking to add a Hollowbody 2 - although I would prefer a few more magnetic options from it - so would prefer a HB594 with Piezo - or a Special with Piezo if they did one. Maybe I should keep my eyes open for a P245...

Another question,
Are all P22s chambered? I’ve come across some ad speak that says it is, but not much else.

I've seen some semi-hollow P22 and P24 runs, but mine are definitely both solid.
In addition to what others already said about using a P.A. or acoustic amp for the piezo signal, using a processor such as a Fishman Aura, or an impulse response player that you can load an IR of a mic'd acoustic into, can make your P22 piezo sound very realistic - I think mine sounds better than a real acoustic with a piezo straight into the P.A. I use a Line 6 Helix as my pedalboard, and I can apply effects to my mag pickups to my amp (I don't normally use amp modeling), while simultaneously processing the piezo through compression and IRs out to the P.A. system.

SECONDED.

The P22 piezo system replaced the original HBII piezo because it was a significant improvement over the old system, which still sounded great. It's made specifically for PRS and the bridge type you have on the guitar. I have a stoptail P22 and a trem P24 and the stoptail takes the gold hands down. Running the separate out to an acoustic amp is the ONLY way to play that system to its fullest.

SECONDED.

The P22 piezo system replaced the original HBII piezo because it was a significant improvement over the old system, which still sounded great. It's made specifically for PRS and the bridge type you have on the guitar. I have a stoptail P22 and a trem P24 and the stoptail takes the gold hands down. Running the separate out to an acoustic amp is the ONLY way to play that system to its fullest.

Interesting how everyone’s expirence differs. I’ve read other folks who love the Trem piezo because of the added “springyness” to the sound, which is intriguing. I only have experience with the old hardtail piezo

Interesting how everyone’s expirence differs. I’ve read other folks who love the Trem piezo because of the added “springyness” to the sound, which is intriguing. I only have experience with the old hardtail piezo
As the break angle changes over the piezo crystal as you activate the tremelo bridge, the piezo tone squeals, at least on mine. I like the stoptail tone way better. The preamp is optimized for the stoptail saddle, anyway, at least last time I spoke to the guy that designed it.

I had a HB2 with an amazing sounding piezo. I also have a P245 which is my overall favorite guitar. All the singlecut goodness plus acoustic tone. In a pinch it sounds good through the clean channel of my electric amps and direct to FOH it kills.

One thing I really like about the P245 is the two knob control. Four is more trouble for me than benefit.

As the break angle changes over the piezo crystal as you activate the tremelo bridge, the piezo tone squeals, at least on mine. I like the stoptail tone way better. The preamp is optimized for the stoptail saddle, anyway, at least last time I spoke to the guy that designed it.
Interesting. I have a piezo stoptail and now a piezo trem, but both are 22 frets. Sounds great on both. No squeal. I’m using a Kemper with studio monitors so already getting full range sound out of it.

Interesting. I have a piezo stoptail and now a piezo trem, but both are 22 frets. Sounds great on both. No squeal. I’m using a Kemper with studio monitors so already getting full range sound out of it.
That's good. The squeal for me happens when I "palm-trem" the bridge, as I don't usually grab for the bar. Not much of a bar wanger. So my technique puts pressure on the bridge saddle and that's where the squeal comes from. Otherwise it sounds awesome.

That's good. The squeal for me happens when I "palm-trem" the bridge, as I don't usually grab for the bar. Not much of a bar wanger. So my technique puts pressure on the bridge saddle and that's where the squeal comes from. Otherwise it sounds awesome.
Ah, that makes sense. I’m typically not palm muting when I’m on the piezo only setting.

Back