Interesting. I moved around quicker from guitar to guitar in the video because I found myself forgetting what the beginning of one passage sounded like by the time I heard the other guitar playing the same piece. There are a lot of variables that can effect the tone, but that's a good general comparison. I find my single and double cutaway 594s definitely have a different vibe. Not crazy dramatic, but they are subtlety different. Like twin sisters. :)

Interesting. I moved around quicker from guitar to guitar in the video because I found myself forgetting what the beginning of one passage sounded like by the time I heard the other guitar playing the same piece. There are a lot of variables that can effect the tone, but that's a good general comparison. I find my single and double cutaway 594s definitely have a different vibe. Not crazy dramatic, but they are subtlety different. Like twin sisters. :)

Yeah, I had the same reaction. I wish he'd cut the pieces against each other more often.

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

I hit play and then quickly lowered my laptop screen to avoid any visual confirmation bias. Clean, Guitar 1 had a little more bass and warmth to my ears, so I guessed it was the Singlecut. I was wrong.

I didn't give the distorted section much thought since the sound is so effected, but props to the demonstrator for playing "The Crying Machine".

Therefore, my conclusion is the tonal difference is negligible.

Last edited:
Mmm... twin sisters.

Wait, what were we talking about again?

When I was shopping for my 594 I found no consistent difference between them that couldn’t be attributed to “no two guitars sound exactly alike”. I got my DC because it’s the one that grabbed me after checking out dozens of both. In hindsight I’m glad it went that way because it’s more ergonomic and I wasn’t looking for an LP clone. I think it’s a better compliment to my LP Custom, the SC would have felt too much like double covering the same ground :)

I gotta say between those two I’d take the DC on looks alone. Pretty sure I can make either one sound the way I want :)

I gotta say between those two I’d take the DC on looks alone. Pretty sure I can make either one sound the way I want :)

That’s at least one reason why they make different models; because we don’t all feel the same way. And there’s no right or wrong. I love both looks, but my heart is with the single cuts.

My SC and my DC sound different, but not in the way I'd have expected. My DC is overall thicker sounding through and amp, and I think the variation of woods, pickups, and pots stacked up in favor of the DC. The SC is considerably brighter through an amp and while I love the heft of a Singlecut, I think mine should sound brawnier than it does.

Mind you, I picked up my DC used from Dave's Guitar, very early on in the availability of Core Mc594s. I think it may have been the one that was sent around the country for clinics and other appearances before the Core 594s were announced. I played one that looked exactly the same at the Tacoma Guitar show in June-ish of 2016 that came out from under a table while I was chatting up Bryan Ewald, and it was glorious. That might have been the same guitar I eventually bought, and I would totally believe that extra care had been taken to make sure that the pre-production guitar they sent on tour was really really good.

The serial number on this one is 16 XX6513. Anyone know of an earlier one?

prs15.png

FCjJKxZ.jpg

Mine is 16 XX0907 - but of course that doesn't mean its an earlier build than yours. Between this, and my 2019 Custom 24 Floyd, there is -57000 difference in serial numbers. Looking at my 2017 509's number, I would guess that yours is older but its not easy to tell without at least 5 numbers, although I expect we all know what the first number is...

That’s at least one reason why they make different models; because we don’t all feel the same way. And there’s no right or wrong. I love both looks, but my heart is with the single cuts.

Mine too, but then we’re no longer talking about PRS :)

i do wish prs made something with an oversized headstock.

I am glad they don't!! I dislike long and/or large headstocks - the smaller the better and as long as it has straight string pull, the best of all. I dislike no headstock too - but again, that just shows how we all have our own preferences....

The difference I notice most between the DC and SC 594 is how they fit. Both sound amazing.
When I was shopping for my 594 I found no consistent difference between them that couldn’t be attributed to “no two guitars sound exactly alike”. I got my DC because it’s the one that grabbed me after checking out dozens of both. In hindsight I’m glad it went that way because it’s more ergonomic and I wasn’t looking for an LP clone. I think it’s a better compliment to my LP Custom, the SC would have felt too much like double covering the same ground

This is exactly how I felt too. I am sure that if I tested every SC and DC, there could be a trend where on average a SC will have a slight difference to the average DC and, at the extreme ends of that range, the difference would be more pronounced, but I also think there is a BIG intersection where you can find both a SC or DC that sound the same.

One of the big reasons I went with the DC was because I was buying a PRS and wanted it to look more like a PRS rather than a guitar its based on. Of course the headstock and Birds are a clear difference too, but I wanted that famous PRS shape and as I wasn't 'compromising' tonally but gaining a bit on upper fret access, it was a no brainer for me. I can understand why some may want the Single Cut and find it 'odd' to have a switch on an upper horn with cutaway - but its perfect for me.

I don't know whether there is a 'bigger' difference in 2020 with the change to the 58/15 LT+ in the Single Cut. I ended up adding another 594 recently anyway - adding the 594 Hollowbody II which also happens to be a Double Cut. As such, I don't think I will be looking to add a 2020+ Single Cut to my collection anytime soon. I think its nice that ALL (but 1) of my PRS guitars look so much alike, look part of the same family despite being quite different too. Obviously the 1 that 'doesn't quite fit is the Special as that is in Charcoal Cherry Burst - but its still got the same 'shape' - poor thing must think its adopted LOL or its parents had an affair.... :D:D:D

What this video basically shows, as does the experiences of many, that you can basically decide to pick up the shape of 594 you prefer without compromising on tone - at least unless the 2020 changes have a bigger impact...

Maybe you aren’t, but I am.

The reason I put it that way is because a dialogue takes two, not because I was trying to speak for both of us. When it comes to single cuts I’m a die hard LP fan. I’m also a big fan of PRS but nothing they make will ever replace my LP. Since I only have space for 4 guitars and own 5, I don’t really want a copy of an LP when I already have the real thing. Ymmv :)

I am glad they don't!! I dislike long and/or large headstocks - the smaller the better and as long as it has straight string pull, the best of all. I dislike no headstock too - but again, that just shows how we all have our own preferences....

This is exactly how I felt too. I am sure that if I tested every SC and DC, there could be a trend where on average a SC will have a slight difference to the average DC and, at the extreme ends of that range, the difference would be more pronounced, but I also think there is a BIG intersection where you can find both a SC or DC that sound the same.

One of the big reasons I went with the DC was because I was buying a PRS and wanted it to look more like a PRS rather than a guitar its based on. Of course the headstock and Birds are a clear difference too, but I wanted that famous PRS shape and as I wasn't 'compromising' tonally but gaining a bit on upper fret access, it was a no brainer for me. I can understand why some may want the Single Cut and find it 'odd' to have a switch on an upper horn with cutaway - but its perfect for me.

I don't know whether there is a 'bigger' difference in 2020 with the change to the 58/15 LT+ in the Single Cut. I ended up adding another 594 recently anyway - adding the 594 Hollowbody II which also happens to be a Double Cut. As such, I don't think I will be looking to add a 2020+ Single Cut to my collection anytime soon. I think its nice that ALL (but 1) of my PRS guitars look so much alike, look part of the same family despite being quite different too. Obviously the 1 that 'doesn't quite fit is the Special as that is in Charcoal Cherry Burst - but its still got the same 'shape' - poor thing must think its adopted LOL or its parents had an affair.... :D:D:D

What this video basically shows, as does the experiences of many, that you can basically decide to pick up the shape of 594 you prefer without compromising on tone - at least unless the 2020 changes have a bigger impact...

Pretty much my sentiments exactly :)

Mine too, but then we’re no longer talking about PRS :)

The reason I put it that way is because a dialogue takes two, not because I was trying to speak for both of us.

OK. I guess I was confused because you wrote “we’re.” The fact that you were directing comments to me, meant we were already in a dialogue.

I’m a huge Les Paul fan. However, they are still different models to me, both great, and I like single cuts.

my sausage fingers just want a prs stock 20% bigger so i can tune up dead drunk. like the grainger bass headstock but with big old imperial sized machines. classy

FCjJKxZ.jpg

Mine is 16 XX0907 - but of course that doesn't mean its an earlier build than yours. Between this, and my 2019 Custom 24 Floyd, there is -57000 difference in serial numbers. Looking at my 2017 509's number, I would guess that yours is older but its not easy to tell without at least 5 numbers, although I expect we all know what the first number is...

Wow, I said it the dumb way, didn't I? How about 16 2265XX?

Back