NGD: McCarty 594 Singlecut

A little over 8.5lbs. Not bad for a SC but much heavier than I prefer. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Thanks for responding. I’m sure you will too. My incoming SC 594 is supposed to be 8 lbs 12 oz ~ 8.8 lbs. That’s significantly heavier than my other PRS guitars (all double cutaways) but a lot lighter than my 70s Les Paul which weighs around 10.5 lbs.

Congrats on the new addition. The SC594 is a fantastic instrument. It is usually the first instrument I grab because it just feels/plays great. That tobacco burst is amazing. Enjoy!

Very nice! I haven’t tried one of the newer SC594s - I’m curious how different the + variant is on the bridge pickup. I go back and forth on my DC594 about switching out the standard LT bridge pickup for something with more oomph, but I have other guitars for that sound.

Sweet! Where did you snag that one from? Dave’s?
Yep. Went over to LaCrosse looking for something else and it came home with me.

This might be the first PRS I've ever purchased that has absolutely nothing written in either pickup cavity. No stickers or anything else either. Just what appears to be grey shielding paint

Yep. Went over to LaCrosse looking for something else and it came home with me.

This might be the first PRS I've ever purchased that has absolutely nothing written in either pickup cavity. No stickers or anything else either. Just what appears to be grey shielding paint
Interesting!

I love the single cut has evident PRS DNA in the design, not trying to be anything but a PRS. Nice guitar brother!

I don't have many NGD posts anymore because I've been happy with what I already have. In addition, I'm not really a SC fan so this was an unexpected addition. I just happened to pull it off the wall at my local shop and it sounded so good unplugged that I had to give it a full demo. The guitar absolutely blew me away. Good clean to mean. Here's a pretty crappy picture.

ZocwyGfh.jpg

In case you want an actual professional glamour shot, click here. This happens to be the guitar that was used for the photos on the PRS product page for McCarty Tobacco Sunburst. It looks much better when someone with talent takes pics.

I expected to not like the new tuner buttons but they look less odd in person.
What a fantastic looking guitar - I know the model sounds great, too. But that one is hot.

What a fantastic looking guitar - I know the model sounds great, too. But that one is hot.

I love the way it looks, but I was a bit surprised at how much I liked the sound when I played it. A SC is way outside my normal wheelhouse so I don't even know why I picked it up. I ended up comparing it to a couple of other SC guitars and this one just had it. I have the same pickups in a couple of other guitars and none of them have the range of tones this one has. Maybe it's the new tuner buttons 😄.

I love the way it looks, but I was a bit surprised at how much I liked the sound when I played it. A SC is way outside my normal wheelhouse so I don't even know why I picked it up. I ended up comparing it to a couple of other SC guitars and this one just had it. I have the same pickups in a couple of other guitars and none of them have the range of tones this one has. Maybe it's the new tuner buttons 😄.
Since the first Singlecut came out in 1999-2000, I've had one here 99% of the time, and there's definitely something extra to the overall tone if compared with a double-cut. I've always liked having one.

There's a thing that happens with the greater stiffness of the neck-body joint with the extra upper bout attachment to the neck, the extra mass in the body, etc. I think there's less roll-off in the lower frequencies, and a nice smoothness in the mids and upper-mids. It's a sound I love.

Having had a couple of the 594 double-cut models, if I was to get another 594, it'd be the 594 SC (though I have that McCarty Singlecut PS so another 594 isn't really needed at this point due to the substantial similarity of the two models).

Last edited:

I just got my 594 yesterday and am really enjoying how it plays and sounds. It’s heavier than my other guitars (except the Les Paul) but I don’t really care. There’s something special about the sound that is different from my other guitars. I have the same bridge pickup in my Studio as the pickups on the 594 but the pickup sounds different with the 594.

Back