NGD-SC58

jdj89

Well I am a sucker for a good PRS singlecut. I ran across an excellent, dang neat mint condition SC58 in Tobacco McCarty Burst and decided to give it a shot and holy smokes am I am impressed with it. For a 2011 model I would say its nicer than several newer models I have tried. The 57/08 pickups in it are probably the best I have heard, they are also a little hotter than others I have tried at 8.24k neck, 9.24k bridge. The neck has been the biggest surprise for me, the pattern profile is super comfortable! I know the SC58 had a short run but I am happy to have ran across one.

Pics pics pics! Congrats! Love my SC58. Such a fantastic guitar.
Not my finest photography but it was just a quick shot from the other night. It'll be getting a full setup with new strings and thorough cleanup this evening! :)

rFowuXS.jpg

Nice! Congrats...

I really, really, REALLY like my McCarty 58--so much so that I've been toying with the thought of trying to find its twin in the SC-58 body. These ones from 2011 are just some of the most straight-up musically-fantastic instruments that I have ever experienced.

Not my finest photography but it was just a quick shot from the other night. It'll be getting a full setup with new strings and thorough cleanup this evening! :)

rFowuXS.jpg
Absolutely gorgeous! Love it!!!

Thanks everyone! I think this one will quickly become the one I play the most. The top is incredible too!

It's crazy how good this guitar feels for being 13 years old. It couldn't have been played much, there is basically no fret wear at all.

I have been through several different 2018+ models and to me none of them have had the feel and playability this SC58 seems to have. I guess it's just go some mojo? :)

If there was one negative, and I hate to even call it that, it would be that paisley case. It's sturdy, built like a tank and really seems much stronger than any case from the more recent models I have had. Paisley just isn't my thing but at the end of the day....it doesn't really bother me.

Welcome to the SC58 club! They really are fantastic guitars and likely some of the best PRS value you can get.

One of the signs yours is an '11 is the six slot stop tailpiece. Personally I like it better visually than the 5 slot one that they put on starting in '12 although the strings aren't held quite as well during changes. And you're correct that you have slightly hotter 57/08's. Mine are 8.91k bridge and 8.16k neck. In more recent years they've gotten even hotter.

I have been through several different 2018+ models and to me none of them have had the feel and playability this SC58 seems to have.
I was the same. I played sooo many 594 and none of them worked for me. As soon as I picked up my SC58, I knew it was the one.

Your 5708 are for sure hotter than mine in the SC58 neck @7.7 and bridge @8.4. Your bridge is almost as hot as my hottest 5708 @9.35.

Again, congrats!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new guitar! These are great guitars. I love mine. Mine is a custom color. Mine developed a cloudy finish and PRS refinished it in the current nitro a couple of years ago for me. My only gripe about these guitars is how they wired them. I wish they had wired them like the 594.

Nice! Congrats...

I really, really, REALLY like my McCarty 58--so much so that I've been toying with the thought of trying to find its twin in the SC-58 body. These ones from 2011 are just some of the most straight-up musically-fantastic instruments that I have ever experienced.
I understand this thought. I have had the single cut for a good number of years. I have always thought it would be nice to have the double cut version as well.

Back