Short Scales SC 245 - SC58 - SC 594

Fatherjones.com

I have owned one of each. Love em. Currently only own a 58.

But is the 594 really .094 longer than 245/SC58? Was the 245/SC58 really precisely 24.5"? If so ... how did Paul determine to add .094" to the 24.5" scale? I have no opinion, just curious.

Maybe A Cheap, Inaccurate, Import Tape Measure Was Used And The Reading Was Off? ;)

Paul must've known for a long, long time already that Gibson's true/actual scale length was 24.594 (which I believe itself is a truncated decimal of the actual fraction). I mean, he befriended Ted McCarty himself back in the '80s/'90s, so he had to already know the deal back then, if not already before meeting Ted.

Now, whether the 245 guitars are all that much different from the (24.)594 ones, well... who's to say that the 245's weren't really 24.594 in the first place? Has anybody measured them with enough accuracy to prove that they're different? I'm just sayin'...

Paul must've known for a long, long time already that Gibson's true/actual scale length was 24.594 (which I believe itself is a truncated decimal of the actual fraction). I mean, he befriended Ted McCarty himself back in the '80s/'90s, so he had to already know the deal back then, if not already before meeting Ted.

Now, whether the 245 guitars are all that much different from the (24.)594 ones, well... who's to say that the 245's weren't really 24.594 in the first place? Has anybody measured them with enough accuracy to prove that they're different? I'm just sayin'...
Yeah that's what I said in the original post.

I read Paul went 24.594 from measuring original Les Pauls..someone else on here measured the 594 and confirmed the scale length. All from memory, so not the gospel.
This is how I remember it too.

I have a McCarty Ted, which is a SC245, I have an SC-58 and I have a 594. My 594 is a double cut. I did measure the 594 and the SC-58 one day because I had them both out at the same time. They do measure differently. I measured them because to me, they feel a lot the same when playing them and they sound pretty similar. I am not sure the difference in length is making that much difference in how the guitar sounds.

If it's worth anything, I'm in the middle of building a 24.5" scale neck and after cutting the fret slots, they are actually spaced just slightly closer together than my SE 594.

Back