SC 245/S2 594 question.

Smitty

So I own a 2016 SC245 and a newly acquired S2 594 single cut. Both have similar configurations with the push/pull tone pots configured to provide singles coil tones (Although I don’t think that’s relevant to the question).

One song I was learning had a “stutter“ effect at the end where I’d turn the neck pickups volume all the way down and I’d switch between the bridge and neck to create the stutter. But what I noticed was that in the middle position, with the neck all the way off, there was no volume at all! I’d assume with these style of guitars you’d hear the bridge pickup only allowing you to roll in the neck pickup. But I hear nothing.

Before I bought the 594, I thought maybe something was wrong with the wiring in the SC 245. But after practicing with the 594, it does exactly the same thing. Now I must conclude this is normal and there must be a good reason why. I just don’t know what it could be.

It’s not a big deal, but it‘s a head scratcher.

BTW…I’m in live with the S2’s. An S2 594 double cut is definitely a future purchase. Especially with the 10th anniversary ones coming to Canada soon.

It is normal. It's the way most of the guitars with two humbuckers and two volumes pots are wired.

But way back when, my first two humbucker guitar was a Hondo LP copy. It was wired so you could get sound in the middle position with one volume at zero. So I just assumed (as you did) that was the expected behavior. When I got my first LP, I thought it was wired wrong.

With one volume pot turned down in the middle position (such that both volumes are in the circuit), that pot will dump most of the signal to ground.

Its because in the middle position one of the pickups is shorted to ground. It will affect the other "active" pickup too, the active pickup will be shorted to ground via common selector position. Its normal, no way around this I'm affraid

I ass/u/me the DGT does this also? I'm half hoping a local shop will get in a SE DGT for me to play around with. I say "half" because half of me wants to play one and the other half is really afraid I'll end up buying it when I do.

I ass/u/me the DGT does this also? I'm half hoping a local shop will get in a SE DGT for me to play around with. I say "half" because half of me wants to play one and the other half is really afraid I'll end up buying it when I do.

Yes it does. I knew the toggle on mine needed tweaked because I started getting sound (intermittently) in the middle position w/one pickup turned to zero.

Thanks for the replies all.

I'm relieved it's perfectly normal!...Back to playing.

Back