Why the 594?

The scale being 625mm and what the old Les Pauls were is cool. I like the 594 over the standard McCarty because of the control layout.
The toggle belongs up near the neck ;)

Guilty as charged, but after comparing a 59 reissue Les Paul to a 594 McCarty SE, the major difference between the two (besides the LP being almost 2 pounds heavier) is a smoother sound with the McCarty. The Les Paul has that classic rock sound and is more in your face, which is great when you want or need it. The McC is probably more versatile and modern sounding. I decided I needed both!
I also have both and my take is identical to yours.. PRS "more polite" less "FU" rock and the natural SC splits are very useful when you need a strat neck tone for a song. My 2012 LP also has splits but they are "p90'ish" sound vs "SC'ish" sound of the 594..swings and roundabouts

My perspective is Paul enjoys take a vintage masterpiece and taking it to a level that wasn't possible in the production environment of the day.

I like my 594 , and all the other scale lengths and neck shapes in the instruments I have .. gives each a personality. The 24 fret /24.5" Santana and DGT my favorite carves .

The folks on the LP forum are quite silly about minutea , and oddly fond of Murphy Lab "relic'd" instruments .. which no offense I've always thought were an abomination .. Earn those scars brothers .. just like jeans .. I prefer there Historics .. and like it or not they do a very good job.

My '55 LP is a masterpiece .. ahh but is it a better instrument than my Rosewood neck McSoapy ? Not really ..

Last edited:
Back