Another question about 57/08 pickups

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Even though the DCR is around 9K or a little above for both bridge pickups in two sets of 57/08 pickups, those in my 2012 SC58 seem quite a bit lower in output than the new set from 2023 that I put in my Bernie Marsden.

It is NOT a matter of ht. adjustment.

The 2012 set doesn't split. The 2023 set can be split.

The 2012 pickups are also magnetically in phase with each other. No need to swap lead wires when using a 3 way switch.

The 2023 pickups are magnetically out of phase with each other. You DO need to swap lead wires on one pickup when using a 3 way switch.

I have a third used set in another Bernie that's almost as hot as the 2023. That set is also out of phase , so the lead wire of one pickup is reversed, and they can also be split.

That set has more output and sounds better to me than the 57/08's in my SC58.

Are the older 57/08's that don't split lower in output than the new ones that do split?

It seems that PRS increased the output some in later versions of the 57/08's.

There's about an 11 year age difference age between my 2023 set and 2012 set.

I'm thinking of swapping one of the hotter sets into my 2012 SC58 because I don't enjoy playing it as much as my Bernies with the stronger sounding 57/08's.

Last edited:
I have had numerous sets of these and they really vary widely. One of the things that I hate about them.

I originally was going to put them in all of my guitars and now have them in only one. The best of the best. Thinking about switching them out as well.

I have had numerous sets of these and they really vary widely. One of the things that I hate about them.

I originally was going to put them in all of my guitars and now have them in only one. The best of the best. Thinking about switching them out as well.
I'm experiencing something of the same thing. I'm really happy with two of my three sets of 57/08's but the oldest set, from 2012 isn't doing it for me.

Unfortunately in came stock in my best guitar! My Stripped 58.

I think most of my sets split. I do have one set that stands out as hotter than the rest. They are out of a special run guitar PRS did. I don't remember what the model was. I just remember the person I bought them from telling me about the guitar they came out of when I purchased them from him. That may be the oldest set I have. I know the set in my CU22 are from 2009. They split. The PTC put those in for me.

I have two HB guitars that have them stock. I don't know if those are 2 or 4 wire versions. Neither guitar has a push pull on it. They both have piezo systems.

I am glad to see another thread from you on these pickups. I have been doing some pedal testing and had some things I wanted to mention but didn't know what thread to do that in. I pulled out my CU22 and my 594. The PTC put the pickups in the CU22 and they are in phase with each other. I put the pickups in the 594 and the magnets test out of phase. So far, I am not hearing a difference in the two guitars as far as louder or weaker in the middle position. I am now wondering if PRS used different color wires on the two pickups to make them in phase when wired up the same way. I am tempted to open it up and swap the wires on one pickup to see how it changes the sound of it. I may do that. My curiosity is getting the best of me. I feel like I really need to hear the difference to know I have it wired right.

On another note, I have never had these two guitars out at the same time and swapped from one directly to the other. My CU22 has a chunky wide fat neck on it. I have two guitars that the WF necks are on the chunky side. My CU22 neck is not much different than the pattern vintage neck on my 594. I was pretty surprised how close they are.

I think most of my sets split. I do have one set that stands out as hotter than the rest. They are out of a special run guitar PRS did. I don't remember what the model was. I just remember the person I bought them from telling me about the guitar they came out of when I purchased them from him. That may be the oldest set I have. I know the set in my CU22 are from 2009. They split. The PTC put those in for me.

I have two HB guitars that have them stock. I don't know if those are 2 or 4 wire versions. Neither guitar has a push pull on it. They both have piezo systems.

I am glad to see another thread from you on these pickups. I have been doing some pedal testing and had some things I wanted to mention but didn't know what thread to do that in. I pulled out my CU22 and my 594. The PTC put the pickups in the CU22 and they are in phase with each other. I put the pickups in the 594 and the magnets test out of phase. So far, I am not hearing a difference in the two guitars as far as louder or weaker in the middle position. I am now wondering if PRS used different color wires on the two pickups to make them in phase when wired up the same way. I am tempted to open it up and swap the wires on one pickup to see how it changes the sound of it. I may do that. My curiosity is getting the best of me. I feel like I really need to hear the difference to know I have it wired right.

On another note, I have never had these two guitars out at the same time and swapped from one directly to the other. My CU22 has a chunky wide fat neck on it. I have two guitars that the WF necks are on the chunky side. My CU22 neck is not much different than the pattern vintage neck on my 594. I was pretty surprised how close they are.
If your humbuckers are out of phase with each other there will be a HUGE change in both tone and volume when they are combined.

It's very dramatic. A pinched nasal tone.

If they are in phase the volume won't change much from what you'd hear when using the neck pickup alone.

But if they're out of phase, going from the neck pickup to the neck and bridge combined will give you an extremely thin tone with a big drop in volume.

The fun with a set that's out of phase happens if each pickup has it's own volume control. Like a Les Paul. Then you can blend the two pickups together and get some unique tones with one pickup slightly louder than the other.

I don't care for out of phase tones myself.

If your humbuckers are out of phase with each other there will be a HUGE change in both tone and volume when they are combined.

It's very dramatic. A pinched nasal tone.

If they are in phase the volume won't change much from what you'd hear when using the neck pickup alone.

But if they're out of phase, going from the neck pickup to the neck and bridge combined will give you an extremely thin tone with a big drop in volume.
It isn't doing that which makes me think they use different color wires from the neck to the bridge pickup so when you wire them the same it puts them in phase.

The set in my McCarty Singlecut from the 2014 run was supposed to be wound a little differently, though I have no idea what the difference is. I've had other guitars with 57/08s and loved them all, but the guitars were so different from one another that comparing the pickups would be meaningless, and the only one that's still here is the McSC, which is my #1.

However, it's certainly got a classic tone. The pickups aren't wired to split.

I only have one set of 57/08 now and they are old, but I don't know how old. I do remember having other sets over the years that sounded different too. The set I have now is about 8.88k on the bridge and it is noticeably quieter than the approximately 8.4k Wolfetone Legends I have. I'm hoping a screaming deal on a newer set of 57/08 crops up so I can get them and try 'em out vs. the set I currently have.

I Would Hope The Same Pickup Would Be Very Similar Spec Wise. The 57/08 Talk I Have Been Reading Lately Sounds Like No Two 57/08's Are The Same. How Can A Person Make An Intelligent And Informed Pickup Swap Decision If Each 57/08 Pickup Is Different Than The Other 57/08?

The "weak" bridge pickup in my SC58 isn't really all that weak. Just not as strong as the others which are over 9K.

DCR isn't a measurement of output but it does register lower than any other 57/08 bridge pickup I have. 8.92K.

That's still pretty good for a PAF though.

I wonder if it has a weak magnet?

Back