My Stripped 58 has 57/08 pickups that are weaker than I'd like...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Dunno what's the right thing to do it about it.

Mine is a 2012 model and I've read threads here from others who say the original pickups in the 2012 can be weaker than what PRS is winding today.

One problem with updating them is that the pickups in mine have brushed nickel covers.

They have a certain look that new 57/08's with polished covers don't have and I wouldn't want to devalue the guitar.

Plus, I like the look of brushed nickel. It's classy.

I suppose I could swap covers. Dunno if the pickups are wax potted or not. Don't really want to open up that can of worms.

The bottom line is that this is a wonderfully made CORE guitar that I don't play because the pickups sound weaker than I prefer.

A set of "new" 57/08's would likely correct that but I don't like the idea of altering this all original guitar.

Last edited:
I have an SC-58. Mine is also a 2012. I have not had it out for a little while but I don't remember the pickups being weak in it. If I get a chance, I can try to pull it out and test it along a couple of others I have out right now that have had 57/08s put in them, CU24 and 594.

If you decide to swap the pickups, you can actually scuff the shiny covers to have the brushed look with a green Scotch-Brite pad. You put the pickup face down on it and move it sideways to create the brushed pattern on it.

I have an SC-58. Mine is also a 2012. I have not had it out for a little while but I don't remember the pickups being weak in it. If I get a chance, I can try to pull it out and test it along a couple of others I have out right now that have had 57/08s put in them, CU24 and 594.

If you decide to swap the pickups, you can actually scuff the shiny covers to have the brushed look with a green Scotch-Brite pad. You put the pickup face down on it and move it sideways to create the brushed pattern on it.
Just from reading a few threads here on this subject, I get the impression the output of the 57/08's can vary. Maybe especially so for the earlier ones?

I wonder if I could duplicate the look of brushed nickel?

I'd want to practice on a humbucker cover of lesser value first.

Just from reading a few threads here on this subject, I get the impression the output of the 57/08's can vary. Maybe especially so for the earlier ones?

I wonder if I could duplicate the look of brushed nickel?

I'd want to practice on a humbucker cover of lesser value first.
There was definitely some variation in the early 57/08s. I know the set I put in my SAS is pretty hot compared to my others. I know that set came out of a special run guitar. They are also shiny with gold screws which was very unique for those pickups at that time.

The Scotch-Brite pad definitely works. That is from back in the old BAM days. You definitely want to practice it if you have some old pickups you don't mind doing that to. You have to move the pickup in a very straight line or you will have diagonal brush marks. You then stand it up on the sides and do the same thing. It doesn't take a lot of pressure or repetition.

My SC58 5708 are weaker compared to the current lineup. It's been pretty consistent for me that 5708 are on the inconsistent side. My latest 5708 is a beast, surprised the heck out of me. That pickup is NEVER going anywhere.

I'm a huge fan of the SC58 neck pickup, the bridge is a little tame clean for my taste, but throw a little dirt on it, and I get this killer classic rock tone I don't want to lose. I think about swaping, but then tell myself I have other guitars for real muscle, enjoy this one for what it is, because it's killer in its own right.

If at the end of the day the pickups don't do it for you, but the guitar does.. swap 'em!

Same goes for the cover, swap those too.. Easy enough and done!

Right. I have the 57/08's in two of my Bernie Marsdens and those sets are newer sets with a coil split wire.

The old set in my 2012 SC58 does not have a coil split wire. It's just the old Gibson style shielded cable.

It's the 2012 bridge pickup that I wish was as hot as the bridge pickup in the newer sets I put in my Bernie Marsdens.

It's not "weak" except in comparison to those newer 57/08 sets.

Those newer 57/08 pickups have spoiled me and now I prefer them.
Have you taken an ohms measurement on the two? That may be something interesting to see. I can measure the ones I have out when I get a chance. I have 3 guitars with these pickups out right now.

My SC58 5708 are weaker compared to the current lineup. It's been pretty consistent for me that 5708 are on the inconsistent side. My latest 5708 is a beast, surprised the heck out of me. That pickup is NEVER going anywhere.

I'm a huge fan of the SC58 neck pickup, the bridge is a little tame clean for my taste, but throw a little dirt on it, and I get this killer classic rock tone I don't want to lose. I think about swaping, but then tell myself I have other guitars for real muscle, enjoy this one for what it is, because it's killer in its own right.

If at the end of the day the pickups don't do it for you, but the guitar does.. swap 'em!

Same goes for the cover, swap those too.. Easy enough and done!
I'm with you. I like the neck pickup fine.

It's the bridge pickup that seems to vary.

I prefer the stronger, ballsier sounding version.

Have you taken an ohms measurement on the two? That may be something interesting to see. I can measure the ones I have out when I get a chance. I have 3 guitars with these pickups out right now.
Yes. The pickups in the 2012 SC58 measure 8.15K and 8.92K. They have the lowest DCR of all my sets.

The 57/08 neck pickups in my two Bernies are both 8.23K.

The bridge pickups measure 9.03K and 9.18K respectively.

I have a third newer set of 57/08's that I bought used but have not installed in a guitar yet.

That set measures 8.35K and 9.2K. That's the highest DCR of any of my sets.

Last edited:
I've always wondered how they brush pickup covers at the factories. Is there a special machine, do they do them by hand? Wire brush of some kind?

Anyone in the know on this?

Seems that they'd have to do it after the plating process is complete, so it shouldn't be much different from scuffing a new set.

I kinda wish my PS McCarty Singlecut had brushed pickups, but for me it isn't worth screwing around with, since I like the sound of the 57/08s it came with and don't want to mess with a PS. So I'm just curious.

Yes. The pickups in the 2012 SC58 measure 8.15K and 8.92K. They have the lowest DCR of all my sets.

The 57/08 neck pickups in my two Bernies are both 8.23K.

The bridge pickups measure 9.03K and 9.18K respectively.

I have a third newer set of 57/08's that I bought used but have not installed in a guitar yet.

That set measures 8.35K and 9.2K. That's the highest DCR of any of my sets.
Here is the bridge pickup of the three guitars I have out right now. This is in the order of oldest set to newest. The newest is definitely the hottest of these three.

CU22 - PTC installed in 2009, Bridge 8.95k, Neck 7.84k
SC-58 Stock 2012 pickups, Bridge 8.64k, Neck 7.79k
594 Installed by me and bought from the PRS website in 2016 or early 2017, Bridge 9.27k, Neck 8.58k

My SC-58 is the lowest of the three. This difference isn't really that big. Yours don't really seem to be that far apart either.

Last edited:
Here is the bridge pickup of the three guitars I have out right now. This is in the order of oldest set to newest. The newest is definitely the hottest of these three.

CU22 - PTC installed Bridge 8.95k
SC-58 Stock pickups Bridge 8.64k
594 Installed by me and bought from the PRS website Bridge 9.27k

My SC-58 is the lowest of the three. This difference isn't really that big. Yours don't really seem to be that far apart either.
Enough to make a difference though. I hear the bridge pickup in the SC58 as having a little less low end than the others,

A little smaller sound with a little less "push".

Same assessment here for my '11 Stripped 58. The neck is awesome. The bridge absolutely benefits from some help. Since I live in Fractal-land it's easy to throw on a clean input boost (6-10db of 'CC boost') and that really opens the (virtual) amps up. Adding some dirt gives even more options.

The pickups in the 2012 SC58 measure 8.15K and 8.92K.
8.91k bridge and 8.16k neck in mine.

Last edited:

CU22 - PTC installed in 2009, Bridge 8.95k, Neck 7.84k
SC-58 Stock 2012 pickups, Bridge 8.64k, Neck 7.79k
594 Installed by me and bought from the PRS website in 2016 or early 2017, Bridge 9.27k, Neck 8.58k

I updated my post, quoted here, with the neck values as well. I have not had a chance to plug them in to compare volume on them.

True test if you have multiple sets…swap them between the same guitar. If 100% confident that is it, maybe call a dealer who stocks and they might measure for you, then order. Make it yours so you want to play it.

Back