NGD .. 2011 PRS Stripped 58……

Rod/

Vibrato & String Bender
I’ve been looking locally for a SC 58 /Stripped 58 for a long time. Found a great one at my local GC.. great guys… Besides the build quality I prefer PRS necks with no binding . Came stock with engraved 57/08’s and the dirty birds….. I’m in the process of polishing the tarnished large block brass bridge saddles and bringing the brushed pickup covers back to normal/new…(Micromesh is your friend!)
Guitar itself is in excellent condition…price was very right on. What used 12 year old guitars should sell for! Such a fine guitar. Pic is in my Avatar. Any advice from players of the Stripped 58’s or is it an SC58 ?…..are of course always welcome….

Last edited:
Congrats and looking forward to pics. My Stripper 58 is sweet as sweet. Sounds and plays phenomenal..

Every NGD thread needs pics.. here's the day Goldie came home.

Screenshot_20211031-202722_Gallery5e82aab3f9f367aa.jpg

Congrats on the new guitar! I have an SC-58. They are great guitars that sort of flew under the radar of many people. They only made them for a few years and then made changes and turned them into a different model.

Beautiful guitar, congrats! I remember that SC-58's were offered in a Blue Crab Blue finish which to me looks exactly like the colour of your guitar.

Beautiful guitar, congrats! I remember that SC-58's were offered in a Blue Crab Blue finish which to me looks exactly like the colour of your guitar.
Thank you @JohnnyThul …. Now that makes sense… I’m wondering because it’s blue I should keep it out of the sunlight… blue on PRS guitars seems to fade quite often and then the top (imho) looks like crap! I’ll keep it in my gig bag standing up in the corner of my music room… easy enough to deal with

Last edited:
Thank you @JohnnyThul …. Now that makes sense… I’m wondering because it’s blue I should keep it out of the sunlight… blue on PRS guitars seems to fade quite often….
With a blue guitar it never hurts to keep them out of the sun. These transparent finishes that are blue are prone to fading.

forgive my ignorance, but what exactly differentiates a Stripped 58 from other SC's?
The SC58 replaced the original SC245 when the 2 piece bridge was introduced, street price around $4k. In 2011 PRS introduced the "Stripped 58" which was the same guitar with less bling (no fretboard binding, and on the base version less figure on the maple and dots rather than birds) and sold for around $2600. In 2013 the same guitars became the SC245 again, with the SC58's bling as an Artist package but unlike the original version of the SC245 and like the SC58/Stripped 58 had the two piece tailpiece and 57/08 pickups.

Many folks love the 57/08's which over the years apparently have become higher in output compared to the original versions. I don't remember any bad comments on the neck pickup, but at least some people feel that the early bridge is a bit underpowered, me included. However that's easy to compensate with a clean boost and then it sounds great.

Here's my non-top 10 Stripper:

S1.jpg

The SC58 replaced the original SC245 when the 2 piece bridge was introduced, street price around $4k. In 2011 PRS introduced the "Stripped 58" which was the same guitar with less bling (no fretboard binding, and on the base version less figure on the maple and dots rather than birds) and sold for around $2600. In 2013 the same guitars became the SC245 again, with the SC58's bling as an Artist package but unlike the original version of the SC245 and like the SC58/Stripped 58 had the two piece tailpiece and 57/08 pickups.

Many folks love the 57/08's which over the years apparently have become higher in output compared to the original versions. I don't remember any bad comments on the neck pickup, but at least some people feel that the early bridge is a bit underpowered, me included. However that's easy to compensate with a clean boost and then it sounds great.

S1.jpg
Great looking guitar

Congrats and looking forward to pics. My Stripper 58 is sweet as sweet. Sounds and plays phenomenal..

Every NGD thread needs pics.. here's the day Goldie came home.

Screenshot_20211031-202722_Gallery5e82aab3f9f367aa.jpg

S1.jpg

Double Hubba Hubba.

S1.jpg
Great historical background! Thank you @Prina
FWIW, the bridge 57/08 on my 2011 Stripped 58 is 8800 ohms. It’s just hot enough with the pickup close to the strings. The newer ones I think come in at 9400 ohms…. My neck 57/08 at 8100 ohms is perfect and matches up well to the bridge

Last edited:
Great historical background! Thank you @Prina
I'll add some Stripped '58 esoterica. It debuted at the 2011 PRS Experience and had a good enough reception that afterwards they had about a month long ordering period and all of the 2011s were produced in the last months of that year. The response to that was good enough that it became a full production model in 2012 but then was changed back to the SC245 in 2013. When the options of the 'dirty birds' and better figured maple were added, the price approached the SC58.

The only difference between the 2011s and the 2012s is the stop tailpiece. The 2011 had six slots, the 2012 five slots. Personally I like the appearance of the six slot tailpiece but it doesn't hold the strings as well during string changes.

Glad you also had a good experience with GC. Same here. There are some great people there. I'd purchased four SE245, three online, and the local manager sent one of them to my brother in another state for free. The critics have valid points that often the guitars aren't given much TLC or worse. One of the SE245s had a bad fretboard and was returned, all of them needed string changes and setups. However, with the 45 day return window, the downside is minimal. The SE245 Soapbar is a spectacular guitar with an upgraded stacked Duncan P90 and a gorgeous sanded neck which sold for the price of a vanilla SE245.

Back