About to add a Stripped 58 to the collection

boardn10

Hey guys,

I think I'm gonna buy a 2012 Stripped 58.
It will be my only short scale PRS but will give me variety over my three 25" scale PRSs.

I have also heard the earlier Stripped 58s had a thinner pattern neck? I'm typically a fat neck guy but I enjoy variety.

Thoughts on the 57/08 pickups? Do you think the pickups can do hard rock well? I can always replace the bridge pickup if needed and if it's out of phase, can flip the hot and ground wires like I did in my '01 SC Suhr Aldrich.

I mostly a hot pickup guy.
My amps are all high gain monsters.

One bridge pickup I really like is the Rio Grande BBQ and I was thinking I could install that if I feel the urge.

My band plays a lot of 80s, 90s and 2000s rock, Alt rock and grunge. We also play some metal now and then as I do on my own and with other guys.

I also wondering how that two piece bridge impacts the tone and feel. All my PRSs have the one piece wraparound bridge, either solid or adjustable.

The Stripped 58 would be closest to my 2003 LP Standard which is a great LP.
It used to have Burstbuckers, but now has a Suhr Aldrich bridge with the stock neck pickup. My PRS CE22 has a Tremonti Bridge pickup but I still have the original Dragon.

I also have a 2001 SC with Aldrich bridge and #7 neck. Finally, my 2008 SC250 which is stock. My SC250 sounds huge, fat and clear. My '01 SC with Aldrich sounds similar but more compressed, warmer and darker. Both awesome.

Would a 2012 Stripped 58 be a nice addition to my collection?

Look, here’s the thing: the Stripped 58 is the best electric guitar there is or ever was. If you can’t make it work, it’s on you. But you will, because it is the best.

My Stripped has a Pattern neck, which is fat but not crazy wide.

I have an SC-58. The neck is not small on mine. I think they were still calling it a wide fat at that time. The body is also thicker on these.

If you like hot pickups, you are not going to like the pickups in the stripped 58. You may want to try them to see what you think before changing them. You will have to adjust your rig for them but you are going to get a brightness and clarity that you won't get with a higher output pickup.

I like my SC-58 but keep in mind that it was designed to be more like a vintage LP.

Look, here’s the thing: the Stripped 58 is the best electric guitar there is or ever was. If you can’t make it work, it’s on you. But you will, because it is the best.

My Stripped has a Pattern neck, which is fat but not crazy wide.
Thanks!
I see that PRS says the early models had a thinner neck.

I
I have an SC-58. The neck is not small on mine. I think they were still calling it a wide fat at that time. The body is also thicker on these.

If you like hot pickups, you are not going to like the pickups in the stripped 58. You may want to try them to see what you think before changing them. You will have to adjust your rig for them but you are going to get a brightness and clarity that you won't get with a higher output pickup.

I like my SC-58 but keep in mind that it was designed to be more like a vintage LP.
I like hot pickups but I also enjoy low to medium output for different reasons.
I'm a long time LP guy and most of my PRS are more modern hard rock and metal. It will be nice variety.

The neck on my Stripper is a bit thinner than the wide-fat on my SE245 but a bit wider than on my '74 LP Dlx.

The neck pup is great but the bridge needs at least a clean boost for hard rock. If you have one of the Dragon 1 bridge pups the combination with the Stripped 58 could be a holy grail for high gain.

I’ve played some fairly heavy stuff on a 57/08 loaded singlecut and really liked the way it sounded. With the amount of gain that amps have these days, not to mention the plentiful options for boost pedals, I think you’ll be able to get where you want to go. Unless you just want the output to be in line with your other guitars.

The neck on my Stripper is a bit thinner than the wide-fat on my SE245 but a bit wider than on my '74 LP Dlx.

The neck pup is great but the bridge needs at least a clean boost for hard rock. If you have one of the Dragon 1 bridge pups the combination with the Stripped 58 could be a holy grail for high gain.
Not sure what you mean on the Dragon 1?
You mean install that I the 58 and have the Dragon 1 bridge/57/08 neck?

I like the Dagon but more for leads. I prefer the Tremonti for high gain. That said I don't want the 58 to be like my other guitars.

I’ve played some fairly heavy stuff on a 57/08 loaded singlecut and really liked the way it sounded. With the amount of gain that amps have these days, not to mention the plentiful options for boost pedals, I think you’ll be able to get where you want to go. Unless you just want the output to be in line with your other guitars.
How old was the 57/08? There are two varieties of them. The 4 wire version is hotter and you can hear it.

I agree.
I've used Burstbucker and low to medium output Duncan's like the 59 and Lil 59 for hard rock with great results.

What is the 4 wire version? I'm probably getting a 2012.

Not worried, I can always replace the bridge pickup. But it would have to match the aged look.
The versions of the 57/08 that have been put in guitars stock are typically a 2 (plus a tap wire) version. The ones you buy from their accessories site are a 4 wire version. The only guitar I have that has stock 57/08s that have the hotter version is a P22 trem. That has uncovered 57/08s in it that measure around the same as the ones I put in my 594 and they are hotter than all of the other versions I have. The hotter versions drive my amps and pedals just enough more to give me more gain that is noticable.

No matter the pickup output levels, I have zero problems playing really hard rock and metal with them though my Axe FX III and FM9 Turbo from Fractal Audio!

I actually like some of the high gain better using lower output pickups, including Telecaster pickups.

How old was the 57/08? There are two varieties of them. The 4 wire version is hotter and you can hear it.

They’re older - the tale I’m told is that they were a very early production or maybe even late stage prototype set. The guy I got them from said he had gotten them from a good friend of Paul’s who was testing them. No way of verifying, but he told me that after we’d already sealed the deal, so I guess there was nothing to gain by making it up.

Regarding the wiring, they’re braided conductor with a single wire for split. I actually just put a new 4 wire bridge 57/08 in my S2 594, it’s definitely hotter than the 58/15LT it replaced, and quite possibly the other 57/08 set. I haven’t compared them, and I should, just for kicks.

But, anyways, the heavy stuff I did was on the older and possibly lower output set.

Hey guys,

I think I'm gonna buy a 2012 Stripped 58.
It will be my only short scale PRS but will give me variety over my three 25" scale PRSs.

I have also heard the earlier Stripped 58s had a thinner pattern neck? I'm typically a fat neck guy but I enjoy variety.

Thoughts on the 57/08 pickups? Do you think the pickups can do hard rock well? I can always replace the bridge pickup if needed and if it's out of phase, can flip the hot and ground wires like I did in my '01 SC Suhr Aldrich.

I mostly a hot pickup guy.
My amps are all high gain monsters.

One bridge pickup I really like is the Rio Grande BBQ and I was thinking I could install that if I feel the urge.

My band plays a lot of 80s, 90s and 2000s rock, Alt rock and grunge. We also play some metal now and then as I do on my own and with other guys.

I also wondering how that two piece bridge impacts the tone and feel. All my PRSs have the one piece wraparound bridge, either solid or adjustable.

The Stripped 58 would be closest to my 2003 LP Standard which is a great LP.
It used to have Burstbuckers, but now has a Suhr Aldrich bridge with the stock neck pickup. My PRS CE22 has a Tremonti Bridge pickup but I still have the original Dragon.

I also have a 2001 SC with Aldrich bridge and #7 neck. Finally, my 2008 SC250 which is stock. My SC250 sounds huge, fat and clear. My '01 SC with Aldrich sounds similar but more compressed, warmer and darker. Both awesome.

Would a 2012 Stripped 58 be a nice addition to my collection?
I really think my Bernie Marsdens are the equal of most Les Pauls I've owned and I think you ought to look for a nice Bernie Marsden.

Replace the pickups with your favorite pickups. I use PRS 57/08's, Duncan Antiquitys, Bare Knuckle Abraxas, and Wolfetone Marshallheads in my PRS guitars that I've changed pickups in.

Also replaced the wraparound tailpieces in mine with a MannMade with adjustable brass saddles, or a PRS "Paul".

I also put MannMade locking tuners on four of my five Bernies.

If you do that (and it doesn't have to be done all at once) you'll end up with a guitar that'll rival just about any Les Paul for sound, looks and playability.

I sold my own 2012 Stripped 58 because after making the improvements to my Bernies, I liked them better than the Stripped 58. I just didn't play it.

Just put a modified Duncan JB and modified Duncan 59 in this Black Bernie. Also upgraded the bridge to a MannMade and added a coil splitting tone pot. I split through 110K and 220K resistors like PRS tends to do,

Last edited:
I sold my own 2012 Stripped 58 because after making the improvements I described to my Bernie's I liked them better.
Everything comes down to personal taste and needs. For example, I wouldn't have made that choice.

The Bernies are nice guitars, don't get me wrong. But the Stripped 58 I had was a better choice - for me. I especially like what the two piece bridge does for the tone. The McCarty Singlecut PS I have is the first SC model (out of probably a half dozen) I've owned that tops the tone of the Stripped 58, and it's not by much.

So...YMMV.

Back