My Stripped 58 has 57/08 pickups that are weaker than I'd like...

Make it yours so you want to play it.
I'm inclined to agree with Vaughn.

However, this is what I do if I want a little bit more 'oomph': I walk over to the amp and turn up the gain a smidge, or use a boost on a very low setting.

Not that I'm too lazy to change pickups. It's just that turning a knob or stepping on a pedal is a lot easier.

OK, I'm also too lazy to change pickups. But my solution works (for me)! :)

PS - I should also explain that when I take out a different guitar, I set the amp up for that individual guitar anyway. I'm not a 'plug in and play every guitar with the same amp settings' person. Some are, some aren't. I aren't. ;)

I do use multiple amps in sessions, often with one guitar, and each one gets set up for the specific guitar I plan to use, whether that's one or a couple. I can't recall ever using more than two guitars in a session, come to think of it.

Last edited:
Funny I was going to say the new release 5708 has umph that reminds me of the 5909 in my Cu24 and has more umph than the covered 5909 in my KL33.
Absolutely! Was thinking that as well. I have an old 59/09 with a nickel cover and old label sticker from 2010 or so and the 2 57/08 bridge pickups I have that were purchased in the last couple of years are both hotter and just as aggressive (one 57/08 I would say is more aggressive). Not really sure how a "new" 59/09 stacks up.

I've always wondered how they brush pickup covers at the factories. Is there a special machine, do they do them by hand? Wire brush of some kind?

Anyone in the know on this?

Seems that they'd have to do it after the plating process is complete, so it shouldn't be much different from scuffing a new set.

I kinda wish my PS McCarty Singlecut had brushed pickups, but for me it isn't worth screwing around with, since I like the sound of the 57/08s it came with and don't want to mess with a PS. So I'm just curious.
What makes sense to me is they do it after plating and before mating with the pickup.

You would have a machine similar to a belt sander, but with a mild abrasive in a loop instead of sandpaper, maybe they make a scotchbrite loop. It would have an edge to hold the pickup steady against while you held each side for a short time at the correct pressure.

It would be really quick to do in quantity with a bit of practice.

For really high quantities it would be pretty standard to make a machine to do all this which would have very predictable results.

Covered 59/09 :) I need one for my DC22 ( neck position ) Tough to find covered 59/09s are

I hunted for a good while, and all of a sudden 2 sets and a bridge popped up.. one set he decided to keep, and I don't blame him. The other set I lost the auction. The bridge I scored for a pretty decent price. I really only wanted the bridge so it worked out.

Dunno what's the right thing to do it about it.

Mine is a 2012 model and I've read threads here from others who say the original pickups in the 2012 can be weaker than what PRS is winding today.

One problem with updating them is that the pickups in mine have brushed nickel covers.

They have a certain look that new 57/08's with polished covers don't have and I wouldn't want to devalue the guitar.

Plus, I like the look of brushed nickel. It's classy.

I suppose I could swap covers. Dunno if the pickups are wax potted or not. Don't really want to open up that can of worms.

The bottom line is that this is a wonderfully made CORE guitar that I don't play because the pickups sound weaker than I prefer.

A set of "new" 57/08's would likely correct that but I don't like the idea of altering this all original guitar.

Add one of these to the signal chain and make sure you've got a very good amp.
https://prsguitars.com/pedals/model/horsemeat

Add one of these to the signal chain and make sure you've got a very good amp.
https://prsguitars.com/pedals/model/horsemeat
Thanks. But I'm not wanting more OD pedals. After a lifetime of playing, my "Klons" do everything I need.

I already have a J Rockett "Jeff" set up as a clean boost. Great for clean chords as well as bluesy solos and adds just a touch of OD to my HDRX 20.

I'm not looking for a saturated grinding OD sound. I'm after something more subtle. Old Allman Brothers, Fresh Cream, Jeff Beck Truth, Peter Green Supernatural, Mike Bloomfield East West and Electric Flag...that's my era.

No, the issue is simply that this particular SC58 (and some others from 2012 apparently...) have a weaker bridge pickup than later sets of 57/08's and when I compare it to my Bernies with new 57/08's the SC58 just doesn't do it as well.

To be honest, I'm so comfortable with my Bernie Marsdens, CE22's, and others that I might just sell this guitar.

It's a beauty but I've never felt as strong a connnection with it as I have for some of my other guitars.

Guitars that I have made my own.

Seems kind of sacrilegious to alter this guitar!

This morning it's feeling like I ought to just let it go to someone who'll give it the love it deserves.

Last edited:
Same assessment here for my '11 Stripped 58. The neck is awesome. The bridge absolutely benefits from some help. Since I live in Fractal-land it's easy to throw on a clean input boost (6-10db of 'CC boost') and that really opens the (virtual) amps up. Adding some dirt gives even more options.

8.91k bridge and 8.16k neck in mine.
Pretty much the same readings as mine. Thanks

I remember the SC-58 being a "vintage inspired" model. I wonder if they intentionally made the pickups just a little less output. I have a Ted McCarty SC as well. It is farther back in the closet but I may be able to get to it some time soon and can measure those as well. That guitar is from 2009.

One thing I know about my SC-58 that I am not sure is the same with the SC245, or the Ted for that matter, is how thick the body is. The body on my SC-58 is quite thick. It is on the same rack as my 594 so I can possibly see the thickness of those two in comparison. My 594 is pretty thick too.

I remember the SC-58 being a "vintage inspired" model. I wonder if they intentionally made the pickups just a little less output. I have a Ted McCarty SC as well. It is farther back in the closet but I may be able to get to it some time soon and can measure those as well. That guitar is from 2009.

One thing I know about my SC-58 that I am not sure is the same with the SC245, or the Ted for that matter, is how thick the body is. The body on my SC-58 is quite thick. It is on the same rack as my 594 so I can possibly see the thickness of those two in comparison. My 594 is pretty thick too.
My SC-58 is visibly a decent amount thicker than my 594.

P
My SC-58 is visibly a decent amount thicker than my 594.
Interesting, I didn't know this. Appreciate.. you also might be onto something about the SC58 pickups being a bit underwound consodering they predate the 5815LT and cintage inspired.. maybe, maybe not? PRS and their pickup secrecy.

Maybe it's just me, and because I am a custom guitar guy with my own shop and all, but I would never worry about swapping pickups in a guitar due to "devaluing" or anything like that unless it was some vintage grail or just perfect as-is. But I do recommend playing it for a while and finding out if you really like it or not. A lot of times we get a guitar because of the way it looks or for some idealistic idea of what we think it will be and then it turns out not to be what we wanted. There is no shame in that, who knows, it may be THE ONE for someone else. I normally give it a few weeks of playing and adjusting. If I can't make it through that time period then out she goes. :)

I would never worry about swapping pickups in a guitar due to "devaluing" or anything like that unless it was some vintage grail or just perfect as-is.

Agreed. And if worried, keep the originals.. I wouldn't think twice swapping same brand pickups and definitely not the same model. Heck even PRS did a pickup swap or bonus program a long while back.

Fergodsakes, keep it and swap the pickups.
Nope. It's now on Reverb.

When I was a kid in the 60's I ruined enough now vintage guitars for a lifetime. I'm not into altering future collectible guitars unless they've already been compromised. Like my '00 CE22 that came with Duncan pickups the previous owner chose and installed. I pulled them out and put BKP Abraxas pickups in it.

I have four Bernie Marsdens I like better in every way than my SC58.

I like their sound better and I like their "chunky round" necks better.

And I can take them out of the house without worrying about them getting a scratch or ding.

Back