My Stripped 58 has 57/08 pickups that are weaker than I'd like...

Highly doubtful the SC58 fits this category
I think it will. Paul isn't going to be around forever. When he's gone the company will morph into something else, just like Gibson and Fender did.

Then we'll see "vintage PRS guitars" becomes very collectible...if they're not already.

In 1970, I could buy real '59 Les Pauls for $1000 or less.

Last edited:
Well just out of respect for the instrument I've decided I'm not going to unsolder any pickups.

A pristine unaltered guitar is worth more than one that's been altered.

Always has.

Someone will love it, I'm sure.

Probably be the centerpiece of their collection.

I got a chance to plug my SC-58 in at lunch time today. I compared it to my CU22 and the 594. The SC-58 is definitely not as punchy as the 594. My SC-58 and CU22 are much closer in punch. My CU22 is brighter than the others are. That set in the 594 is much hotter than the other sets. At some point I am going to have to pull out the SAS and measure those. I remember those being hot. The pickups in the 594 are the newest 57/08s I have. The ones in the CU22 are the oldest. The ones in the SAS are older so it will be interesting to see how they measure up.

I received the resistors this week so I will be putting those in the CU22 this weekend. I already opened up the DGT and took pictures of how it is wired in that guitar. I will do them the same way in the CU22 since the switching is the same.

Well just out of respect for the instrument I've decided I'm not going to unsolder any pickups.

A pristine unaltered guitar is worth more than one that's been altered.

Always has.

Someone will love it, I'm sure.

Probably be the centerpiece of their collection.
I completely get what you are saying. I have modified relatively few of my PRS guitars. The ones that I did were pickup swaps and I kept the stock pickups to it can go back to stock at any time.

My SC-58 is a custom color on top of being the one with all of the bells and whistles. I had thought about changing the wiring in it to be more like the 594 but didn't want to change it up that much.

I bought a Stripped 58 yesterday. It should arrive right after the weekend. Very exciting!

Usually electric guitars become properly collectible only through artist association (well, there are also ”collectors items”). I don’t know that anyone has famously played a Stripped 58…

The one I bought is all stock. If the pickups had been swapped but the originals were still included, or if the original pups had been reattached, or if they had been replaced by a desirable alternative, I would have paid exactly the same amount for the guitar. Not a penny less. But that’s just me.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to hearing those old 57/08s (2012). I think they are actually hotter than what I usually use.

I completely get what you are saying. I have modified relatively few of my PRS guitars. The ones that I did were pickup swaps and I kept the stock pickups to it can go back to stock at any time.

My SC-58 is a custom color on top of being the one with all of the bells and whistles. I had thought about changing the wiring in it to be more like the 594 but didn't want to change it up that much.
I'm not used to the volume controls being on top on the SC58, that's for sure. But it no longer throws me.

I'm not used to the three pots being in a straight line on my Bernie Marsdens either. Two volumes and a master tone. Sort of like a Strat.

I bought a Stripped 58 yesterday. It should arrive right after the weekend. Very exciting!

Usually electric guitars become properly collectible only through artist association (well, there are also ”collectors items”). I don’t know that anyone has famously played a Stripped 58…

The one I bought is all stock. If the pickups had been swapped but the originals were still included, or if the original pups had been reattached, or if they had been replaced by a desirable alternative, I would have paid exactly the same amount for the guitar. Not a penny less. But that’s just me.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to hearing those old 57/08s (2012). I think they are actually hotter than what I usually use.
1959 was 64 years ago. 1959 Les Paul Jrs (a one P90, entry level student guitar at the time) are now being sold for $8000 to $14000.

In the future, as woods become more expensive and harder to find, and as everything becomes more and more automated (as SE guitars are more less made today) and instruments handmade by skilled artisans become a rare commodity, I'm pretty sure most of PRS's CORE guitars will become collectible.

Just give it 30, or 40 or 50 years.

I see my PRS guitars as being equal or to or better than my Gibsons and Fenders. If those guitars can appreciate and be collectible why not PRS?

Last edited:
1959 was 64 years ago. 1959 Les Paul Jrs (a one P90, entry level student guitar at the time) are now being sold for $8000 to $14000.

As everything becomes more and more automated and instruments handmade by artisans become a rare commodity, I'm pretty sure most of PRS's CORE guitars will become collectible.

I see my PRS guitars as being equal or to or better than my Gibsons and Fenders. If those guitars can appreciate why not PRS?
Maybe they will, who knows?

But Les Paul Jrs have been played by extremely famous players for decades. That’s why we buy them. PRS guitars certainly have some pedigree as well, but nothing at all like Fender and Gibson. Even though PRS guitars are better. But so are many other guitars…

I certainly hope that my PRS guitars will appreciate in value over the decades, but it doesn’t matter to me if they do or don’t. I have them because I enjoy playing them.

And where I live, you can still buy older Core models for not too much money. Maybe when I’m old I can reminisce how little I used to pay for them…

But man, I can’t wait to receive my Stripped. I bet it’s banging.

Maybe they will, who knows?

But Les Paul Jrs have been played by extremely famous players for decades. That’s why we buy them. PRS guitars certainly have some pedigree as well, but nothing at all like Fender and Gibson. Even though PRS guitars are better. But so are many other guitars…

I certainly hope that my PRS guitars will appreciate in value over the decades, but it doesn’t matter to me if they do or don’t. I have them because I enjoy playing them.

And where I live, you can still buy older Core models for not too much money. Maybe when I’m old I can reminisce how little I used to pay for them…

But man, I can’t wait to receive my Stripped. I bet it’s banging.
Congrats on that! Hope you love it.

Any photos yet?

In the future, as woods become more expensive and harder to find, and as everything becomes more and more automated (as SE guitars are more less made today) and instruments handmade by skilled artisans become a rare commodity, I'm pretty sure most of PRS's CORE guitars will become collectible.

I see my PRS guitars as being equal or to or better than my Gibsons and Fenders. If those guitars can appreciate and be collectible why not PRS?
PRS can and are, but it's early releases like the LPs. But you never know if our gene pool continues on this track.. :D

I agree on the woods, becoming more scarce and "older" guitars becoming more desirable, but collectible and outrageous prices like a burst is whole differnet league. But then again in 30-50 years we might be asking AI and a Virtual guitar for our avatar will be all the rage.

PRS can and are, but it's early releases like the LPs. But you never know if our gene pool continues on this track.. :D

I agree on the woods, becoming more scarce and "older" guitars becoming more desirable, but collectible and outrageous prices like a burst is whole differnet league. But then again in 30-50 years we might be asking AI and a Virtual guitar for our avatar will be all the rage.
I have a Hamer Monaco Elite and a Heritage H157 that are both made out of Honduran Mahogany. You can't get that wood anymore to build guitars with it and it was regarded as a superior tone wood. That type of thing is going to keep happening. They restrict more woods every year it seems.

I'm pretty sure most of PRS's CORE guitars will become collectible.
I'm inclined to agree.

The guitars are stellar quality, made of premium materials. The brand has earned strong recognition in the market. Few other contemporary guitar brands have the combination of name recognition and quality to be sought after by the guitar buying public.

Sadly, I won't be around in 30 years to be able to say, "Told ya so!" ;)

You can actually scuff the shiny covers to have the brushed look with a green Scotch-Brite pad. You put the pickup face down on it and move it sideways to create the brushed pattern on it.
I did it. Followed your instructions and it looks pretty good. Thanks for the tip.

I have two Duncan pickup covers and I used a large green Scotchbrite pad to create a brushed nickel finish on one.

Easy to tell which one got the brushed treatment,

Easy to do too. Took a couple of minutes.

Maybe I over did it...but that's why you practice first.

Last edited:
I kind of doubt PRS guitars - except for early ones or PS - get into collectible territory. There are simply too much floating around. That actually makes using them, modding them and anjoying them so easy.

I would love tl get that/a stripped sc58, because it is your basic LP with PRS improvements, however something with customs and levies and stuff.

Back