What's as good as the 57/08 set? What pickups should I try next?

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Spent a lot of time playing and comparing my three Bernies last night. Mostly playing.

The one is the middle has 57/08's, the one to the right has BKP Abraxas and one to the left has Duncan Antiquitys.

The Abraxas set and the 57/08 set are staying. Love 'em both.

I like the tone of the 57/08 set best. The tone of the Abraxas set almost as much.

Both of those sets just make me feel creative and want to play the guitar they're in.

The Antiquitys are probably not going to get played as much now. Which is a shame. They're still a great set of pickups and I've used them for many years.

But I've found a couple of newer sets that I just like a little better.

What's next? What's as good as the 57/08's and the Abraxas?

Since the PRS 57/08's won this personal shootout, what other PRS pickups should i give a try?

Other BKP's that I might like? Wolfetones?

I can get a pretty penny for those double cream Antiquitys.

You know what I like.

Last edited:
Why not try something totally different? Maybe a set of BKP Mississippi Queen humbucker sized P90's? Maybe a set of PRS Metals? Dragon I's? Could go totally crazy and go for a set of Fishman Fluence or EMG's?

You’ll probably miss those Antiquities some day if you sell them. It’s very possible that if you do this shootout again in 2 years you’ll like them the best. At least stuff like that happens to me all the time.

But anyways, here’s a suggestion: Gibson (!) Custombuckers.

Why not try something totally different? Maybe a set of BKP Mississippi Queen humbucker sized P90's? Maybe a set of PRS Metals? Dragon I's? Could go totally crazy and go for a set of Fishman Fluence or EMG's?
Thanks. I have a SE Soapbar with BKP Nantuckets which I think the Mississipi Queen is the humbucker sized version of...right? So I'm covered on the P90 front.

I'm not so into metal and I have a pair of 90's CE22's with Dragon I's if I do want to rock out. That Dragon I is the ultmate rock pickup, IMO. Gives me the tone I want to hear anyway.

I'm a PAF kinda guy who appreciates pickups in that vein but with a little hotter than PAF bridge pickup.

Last edited:
You’ll probably miss those Antiquities some day if you sell them. It’s very possible that if you do this shootout again in 2 years you’ll like them the best. At least stuff like that happens to me all the time.

The Antiquitys always looked and sounded great in this black SE Singlecut.

Also in my now sold '95 CU22.

I'll hang onto them for awhile.

I agree with this^^

Here are the offerings that Joe Knaggs lists as options for the Severn X in various configurations:
  • Severn X SSS & T-style: Fralin Blues Specials
  • HSS: Bareknuckle Aftermath/Fralin Blues Specials
  • HSH Bareknuckle Aftermath (bridge)
  • Bareknuckle Mule (neck) & Fralin Blues Special
  • HH: Bareknuckle Aftermath
  • FireBirds & P90: Lollar

I'm a big fan of Wolfetones. For a PRS, I'd go with their Kauer or Marshallhead. I currently have Marshallheads in two McCartys.

For whatever reason I’ve never bonded with BKP. Way too focused for me. I’ve tried several. Go with a 59/09 or \m/ (my favorite).

I'm a big fan of Wolfetones. For a PRS, I'd go with their Kauer or Marshallhead. I currently have Marshallheads in two McCartys.

I agree. Wolfetone all the way. My favorite is the often recommended Marshallhead and DrV combo. I've tried most of them covered and uncovered with different mags and my fav is still the MH/DrV..I typically prefer the A2 in the MH, but there's been guitars the A5 was better suited. I also like the DrV in the bridge, but the MH has more push.

For PRS pickups the 5909 is a great pickup. If push came to shove I like the 5708 better, but my Cu24 with a set of 5909 is hard to beat..sounds amazing. I was A/B-ing 5708 and 5909 bridge last night in different guitars and woods. Order of preference from the shootout-

SAS 5708
Cu24 5909 uncovered
Kl33 5909 covered

The SAS and Cu24 was a real toss up. Could go either way. The KL33 with covered 5909 was my least favorite, but I'm still in process of dialing that one in. It's what prompted the shootout. By the end of the night the KL33 closed the gap with the others to make it a much closer shootout. Still some tweaks to go..

But, give Wolfe a try. You won't be disappointed.

The 59/09’s are superb if you like the 57/08 but want a little more push. They’re just almost impossible to find a covered set!

The ones I’ve been wanting to try are the Suhr Thornbuckers. I believe they recently came out with a slightly hotter “+” set.
I have the Suhr SSH+ and SSV in my ‘00 CE22. They can do pretty much everything the Dragon I’s in my 90’s Ce22’s can do.

Great pickups in a guitar with a vibrato because they still sound deep and strong. The vibrato seems to absorb some bass and lose it. Dragon I’s and the Suhrs have enough bass to lose some and still sound great.

Last edited:
You know what I might try? Now that I have a guitar with two volume controls?

Some Peter Green style PAF's. Maybe I'll change the magnets in the Antiquitys to roughcast Alnico 4 and then reverse the magnet in the neck pickup like Peter or his repair guy accidentally did. Easily done.

I love his tone on this cut, although alot of it is the way his Les Paul and Marshll are recorded.

The mic they used and the placement, the echo and the sound of tape.

But this might be my favorite guitar instrumental and Peter's playing is unbelievable.

I don't think he used a boost pedal. Just a Marshall turned way up.

Thro-bak makes a killer PG pickup. Pricey, though.

I agree. Wolfetone all the way. My favorite is the often recommended Marshallhead and DrV combo. I've tried most of them covered and uncovered with different mags and my fav is still the MH/DrV..I typically prefer the A2 in the MH, but there's been guitars the A5 was better suited. I also like the DrV in the bridge, but the MH has more push.

For PRS pickups the 5909 is a great pickup. If push came to shove I like the 5708 better, but my Cu24 with a set of 5909 is hard to beat..sounds amazing. I was A/B-ing 5708 and 5909 bridge last night in different guitars and woods. Order of preference from the shootout-

SAS 5708
Cu24 5909 uncovered
Kl33 5909 covered

The SAS and Cu24 was a real toss up. Could go either way. The KL33 with covered 5909 was my least favorite, but I'm still in process of dialing that one in. It's what prompted the shootout. By the end of the night the KL33 closed the gap with the others to make it a much closer shootout. Still some tweaks to go..

But, give Wolfe a try. You won't be disappointed.

They're next on the list.

I'm also interested in trying another set of BKP's if I knew they were going to sound more like 57/08's.

Those are hard to beat for that Allman Brothers and British Blues kind of sound.

BKP Black Dog Is Where I Would Go Without Question Or Hesitation If I Were In Your Situation.

After That I Would Go BKP Rebel Yell And Then BKP Mule.

Back