New pickups for the '00 CE22...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
This is the 2000 CE22 I bought earlier this year almost in pieces.

Had to replace all the wiring and controls and the previous owner's odd choice of pickups that he had installed to replace the Dragon II's.

It arrived not working but I got it cheap and it's turned out to be my favorite of my three CE22's.

Thought very seriously about putting PRS 57/08's in it but instead I put in a set of BKP Abraxas double creams.

I really like the BKP Abraxas set and had them in a Bernie Marsden too. I don't like them better than the 57/08's...but I really like them.

I did have Suhr SSH+ and SSV pickups in this guitar.

Very nice pickups for hard rock but the bridge SSH+ is little too hot and BIG sounding for a blues guy like me.

When I'd switch from the neck pickup to the bridge pickup the volume jump was a little jarring.

So I removed the Suhr SSH+ and SSV pickups and put them on Reverb.

The Abraxas pickups use alnico 4 magnets which some experts say is what Gibson used in 1959 Les Pauls more often than not. PRS used Alnico 4 for the neck pickups in both Dragon I and II sets.

To my ears the Abraxas sound better split than the Suhrs although they're not very loud split.

I keep the volume control up when using the single coil tones.

I'm doing the partial split thing with the neck pickup being split through a 1.1K resistor and the bridge through a 2.2K.

The Abraxas set is PAF flavored (so they say...) and the 14K bridge pickup is hotter than a 57/08, and works really well in this CE22 with the vibrato. Plenty of low end and a strong output.

Still like to try some 57/08's though!

Even though the double cream Abraxas set does look beautiful in this guitar!

Last edited:
A very nice example of a CE22. These really were some great guitars that sort of flew under the radar.
The funny thing is, it's the heaviest CE22 I have and it's also my favorite.

Rings like a bell and has a nice warmth that continues all the way up into the treble frequencies.

Not from the pickups...from the wood itself.

Last edited:
Back