OK. I guess I was confused because you wrote “we’re.” The fact that you were directing comments to me, meant we were already in a dialogue.

I’m a huge Les Paul fan. However, they are still different models to me, both great, and I like single cuts.

Yeah, I guess I didn’t realize I was in a kangaroo court of law where everything you say can and will be used against you. I’ll take the fifth now :)

I already had a DC McCarty (1998) so I got a SC 594. To me, playing in person, it sounds super. I do hear a difference in the video but my amp is tuned to what I hear live. That makes a difference.

My only concern about this comparison video is that there isn't much playing low on the heavy strings, and that's where the lower-midrange "woof" of a Singlecut is most evident.

This player's fingerpicking touch appears to be very light on the heavy strings. That isn't really going to create enough amplitude and dynamics in those frequency ranges to enable one to hear a difference between the two guitars. Most of his work in this one is being done on the upper strings.

My SC guitars, including my current McCarty Singlecut, have all exhibited more lower midrange energy than my 594. It's shown up on frequency analysis software. This doesn't mean one's better than the other at all, but I find them to be different.

The video is great insofar as it goes, but I wouldn't reach any hard and fast conclusions about the differences between the two models. My thinking its that it's great to have both kinds of guitar.

This body thickness thing really came to life for me the day I played the new McCarty Trem and the CU24 30th PS back-to-back. Picking up the CU24 after playing the McCarty, it was like a high pass filter was used to cut the lower midrange.

This is great when you want a guitar to cut through a thick mix, and not obscure the bass and kick drum BTW, it's not a complaint. I love the CU24 for its ability to cut, and its midrange emphasis due to the placement of the bridge pickup.

But the bottom line is, horses for courses.

Reactions: FJ4
Will try to understand from a purely sonic sense...

The DC has a balanced frequency response, with perhaps a touch skewed towards mids/upper mids. The SC, by comparison, is balanced as well, but with fuller lower mids and somewhat tighter lower end response. The SC sounded slightly more "compressed,", though this may have been the player's fingerpicking compared on both models.

Both guitars have their own place for consumers, and unless they were made out a piece of pine, are beautiful examples of wood finishes and workmanship. Thankfully, none of these examples are pine.

Back