Pomagranite. Tomorrow. Finally.

It just looks flat in comparison.

Yes. And that is exactly what I stated with my order. I love bright, vibrant colors. No washed out, faded or dull Pomegranate please! Match that sample piece!

I was teasing about the colors, Tag. Not being serious!

I think it was trying to slowly twist things into it being my fault, and you getting defensive about PRS. (And thats fine, I am just going to call you out on it)

But the thing is, one of the Forum rules is that customer service issues aren't supposed to be posted. Seems like this is a customer service issue. I think it should simply be dealt with between you and PRS, and not between you, a bunch of onlookers, and the general world.

I disagree. And to tell you the truth, I do not think they would have even met with me if I did not post what was going on. I could be wrong however. In any case, I did not know it was against forum rules, so I will now stop posting on this subject until I hear back from Tina. I appreciated them meeting with me, but after that, I did not feel like I was treated right at all. What I was told via email, and what went down, were two very different things. But thats the end of it until I hear back. You are obviously jumping to PRSs defense here, and that is fine, but again i will call you on it. You can PM or email mail me if you want to know anything else. Until I hear their response to another refin, I'm out.

Last edited:
Tag, I think either color looks stunning, but I agree neither matches the sample you (and we) were shown. I know if I was in your shoes, it'd be a tough decision between keeping it as-is or sending it back with fingers crossed for round three in the finishing booth, especially knowing the rest of the guitar seems perfect.

That said, I really doubt they can re-do it and end up with the exact color you're hoping for, but I give them big props for being willing to try. I'm a woodworker (woodturner, more specifically), and I've colored a fair amount of heavily figured maple. I surely don't have the experience the folks at PRS have, but I understand the mechanics of the coloring process pretty well. Matching the color tone, especially after two earlier tries, will be very, very difficult, and it's one of those things where the final color won't be apparent until the clear coat goes on, at which point it's too late to make adjustments. Translucent colors like PRS uses are done with dyes, not stains (although they may call them stains). To really get the figure to pop, I'm certain PRS is using a multi-stage dying process, where a dark initial color is applied, then sanded back heavily before the lighter primary color is applied. The darker dye soaks deeper into the softer parts of the wood grain than the hard parts, so when it's sanded back, those soft spots remain dark. (That's why the figure pops even more after the recent refinish job...the dark spots are getting darker.) These soft spots can run deeper than you might imagine. I've seen dyes partially penetrate the 1/4" thick walls of a hollow maple vase. So there's no way to sand out ALL of the old color. The only thing the folks at PRS can do is try to adjust the color that's there by lightening it, darkening it, or tweaking the tone with another color, which is a roll of the dice that can't really be tested anywhere but on the guitar itself.

Whichever way you end up going, I'm sure in the end you'll end up with a guitar that sounds sweet and is a dream to play.

Last edited:
This silencing routine is exactly what I was referring to earlier. Can someone post me a link to where it says you can't discuss customer service issues? And what exactly is the difference between that and QC issues? I'm sure if some had their way those would be verboten as well, as I remember the attempt to bury the ZM finish issues just a few weeks ago. Maybe lighten up and let the mods do the policing? If you ask me, it's stuff like this that put the brand in a negative light moreso than letting people just discuss their issues freely.

Last edited:
This does not mean you can't talk about your personal customer service issues. Only that your issues won't be addressed by the company on the forum.
If you have a customer service issue or concern with your PRS product, please contact customer service at [email protected], or 410-643-9970. Customer service and support issues will only be addressed via email or phone and not on the PRS Forum.

Ted, while I disagree with your interpretation, and especially how it contravenes the spirit of the rule, you're right about letting the mods be the police.

Tag and I go back a long way, and have been friends for at least a dozen years or more. We've given each other plenty of advice over the years on several forums. We've emailed each other. So this is one of those cases where I'm talking to a friend about how I feel, not so much trying to impose my beliefs on some anonymous internet poster.

I like Tag. This is the same advice I'd give any friend. My advice is not a "silencing routine."

Tag, I think either color looks stunning, but I agree neither matches the sample you (and we) were shown. I know if I was in your shoes, it'd be a tough decision between keeping it as-is or sending it back with fingers crossed for round three in the finishing booth, especially knowing the rest of the guitar seems perfect.

That said, I really doubt they can re-do it and end up with the exact color you're hoping for, but I give them big props for being willing to try. I'm a woodworker (woodturner, more specifically), and I've colored a fair amount of heavily figured maple. I surely don't have the experience the folks at PRS have, but I understand the mechanics of the coloring process pretty well. Matching the color tone, especially after two earlier tries, will be very, very difficult, and it's one of those things where the final color won't be apparent until the clear coat goes on, at which point it's too late to make adjustments. Translucent colors like PRS uses are done with dyes, not stains. To really get the figure to pop, I'm certain PRS is using a multi-stage dying process, where a dark initial color is applied, then sanded back heavily before the lighter primary color is applied. The darker dye soaks deeper into the softer parts of the wood grain than the hard parts, so when it's sanded back, those soft spots remain dark. (That's why the figure pops even more after the recent refinish job...the dark spots are getting darker.) These soft spots can run deeper than you might imagine. I've seen dyes partially penetrate the 1/4" thick walls of a hollow maple vase. So there's no way to sand out ALL of the old color. The only thing the folks at PRS can do is try to adjust the color that's there by lightening it, darkening it, or tweaking the tone with another color, which is a roll of the dice that can't really be tested anywhere but on the guitar itself.

Whichever way you end up going, I'm sure in the end you'll end up with a guitar that sounds sweet and is a dream to play.

Well since it seems I will not be banned (thank goodness) I wanted to say thanks for this well thought out post. This makes the most sense to me, and is really the worst case scenario. It makes sense because on my very first PS, the color was way to dark blue, and my dealer asked about a refin to the color I sent them which was much lighter and more green. They said that its very difficult to go from a darker to a lighter color, and could probably get a bit closer to what i wanted, but not exactly.

Ted, while I disagree with your interpretation, and especially how it contravenes the spirit of the rule, you're right about letting the mods be the police.

Tag and I go back a long way, and have been friends for at least a dozen years or more. We've given each other plenty of advice over the years on several forums. We've emailed each other. So this is one of those cases where I'm talking to a friend about how I feel, not so much trying to impose my beliefs on some anonymous internet poster.

I like Tag. This is the same advice I'd give any friend. My advice is not a "silencing routine."

Hey Les,
I like you no matter how much you stick up for PRS, and hey, I love their guitars a TON, or I would have simply walked away from this after my first PS. Thats what makes it even the more frustrating, because I do not really have another option. I feel they make the best sounding electric guitars you can buy! Its the communication in the PS department I have issues with, really nothing else. If they cant get the color right, (Which I am now losing hope of) I will ask for a nice fat discount on the price, and I have no problems about saying that on a forum. Of course they can tell me to shove it where the sun does not shine as well. :biggrin: Agian, the reason money back does not work for me in this case is i have WAY to much time and effort into it, AND I would never be able to find a top or neck like this again. The only reason the back is not crazy is because the top and neck were so light, I did not want to put a heavy back on it just because it had wild figure, and they had plenty of that. It just weighed a LOT. I went for the lightest piece that tapped out the best, and added the Maple cavity covers for some "spice". Now getting off topic a bit, but adding a positive.....I have been playing all of my guitars today, and that Walnut semi hollow just keeps getting better and better. It EASILY hangs with ANY of my PSs tonally, has action as good (better) than any but my first, and its about as perfect as a guitar can be!! The ONLY thing I THINK could possibly make it better is nitro, but I am not even so sure about that. The depth and "deepness" of tone through my Vox HW 15 RI is unreal!!! On the neck pup with medium gain set on the Vox, the only guitar that can hang with it is my 10th anniversary. I was playing around with "song for my father" and I improvised on it for like 10 minutes without making a single mistake on the Walnut. It plays so easily, its unreal. Its as close to a guitar that plays itself as I have ever had. PRS at their very best! :rock:

Les, fair enough. Maybe a mod will chime in and clear up the interpretation issue. And honestly, I understand wanting to give advice to a friend. I merely found the concern over "onlookers" and "forum rules" to be a curious way to go about it.

While no one is suggesting any discussion be silenced, what more is there to say right now?

88611-beating-dead-horse-gif-South-P-ZqEc.jpg

Tag,

I hope you can find a resolution to this you can be at peace with. My most expensive PRS is close to private stock---DGT artist with rosewood neck and ebony board and a perfect burst. However, the dealer I dealt with made the whole transaction so unpleasant and protracted, we got pretty rude with each other while the guitar was hung up in shipment, due to his lack of knowledge shipping internationally. It even cost me another $300. He got very ugly and was pretty insulting, and there was not much I could do about it if I wanted the guitar. When I got the guitar, it was exactly what I hoped for in every way, but the whole negative mess kept me from really connecting with the guitar for a long time. I hope that does not happen to you.

Tag,

I hope you can find a resolution to this you can be at peace with. My most expensive PRS is close to private stock---DGT artist with rosewood neck and ebony board and a perfect burst. However, the dealer I dealt with made the whole transaction so unpleasant and protracted, we got pretty rude with each other while the guitar was hung up in shipment, due to his lack of knowledge shipping internationally. It even cost me another $300. He got very ugly and was pretty insulting, and there was not much I could do about it if I wanted the guitar. When I got the guitar, it was exactly what I hoped for in every way, but the whole negative mess kept me from really connecting with the guitar for a long time. I hope that does not happen to you.

Thanks Steve, and sorry to hear about the problems you had with the shipping. That can be a real pain in the neck. The anger happened when it arrived the first time. :( I sent an email to Paul Miles this morning. Waiting to hear back. Hes a good guy. Hopefully we can figure it out.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your problem Tag.I had similar problem guitar was. 6 weeks old brand new it was for me virtually unplayable I took it to two techs that both said it had uneven frets there was buzzing all over the place,I won't name the manufacturer it's not important . So I sent it back when the guitar came back it was o .k. But I could not play it ever time I looked at it I got aggravated I sold the guitar at a loss last week. I hope if your problem gets rectified this doesn't happen to you. Maybe if the buy back still stands you should think hard. 4 ps 4 problems.I truly respect your playing and your posts.and Iam sure prs will try to satisfy you they are an upstanding company. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Paul Miles got back to me today and was very cool. I am going to make this easy on everyone and return the guitar and start over, as much as I regret it. On top of the color, there is buzzing on a lot of frets, (Wonder why I have not posted a clip? :mad: ) and I do not feel like paying for the fret work or sending it back and waiting for the repair. Its just to many problems, and was not meant to be. I will start over, and seek PRSs advice every step of the way to get it exactly how I want it. It will head back on Monday. This case is closed.

Wow. Nice to hear PRS stepped up and made the customer happy. On the bright side, you get to start the process over, which has to be exciting! Good luck!

I call dibbs! Are we allowed to buy that guitar directly from the factory? :)

I've been lurking and reading this thread on and off. Tag - I am glad you have the chance to get the guitar you truly want.

As for the rest of it, a PS is not in my future anytime soon, that said, I love the concept and really enjoy seeing all of the awesome tweaks you PS owners come up with. The results are pretty spectacular. A PS is a major investment and PRS should stand behind their work. It makes my glad to see that they do. Despite the angst for Tag, it seems like PRS did what a great company would and offered to make their customer happy. I don't think you can ask for much more. Hard to believe you'd get that response out of the custom shop of another manufacturer.

I have to give BIG KUDOS to PRS Co. on how they have handled trying to please the customer. Nothing in life is perfect and creating guitars is an art that relies on nature's creation (wood) accepting the changes we have imposed on it. Sometimes mother nature refuses to be fooled. A full refund shows how PRS stands behind the product and that is called putting your money where your mouth is in my book. A Class Act PRS.

Back