Pomagranite. Tomorrow. Finally.

Hey, the above is totally wrong. I picked the color when I was at PRS from THEIR color sample wood pile. They have actual pieces of wood with the stains on them. I picked it out THERE. An actual piece of heavily quilted maple. Its the smaple picture above I posted. That is an actual piece of wood stained that color that they show you to choose from. There was no room for error. They showed ME the color, on a piece of quilted Maple. Thats it in the above post. When it was so far off the first time, and they agreed to meet with me, I brought my guitar, laid in on the table and laid THEIR sample piece (the same one I picked when i was there ordering the guitar), and everyone agreed it was way off. I did not want a refin at all, but they said they could nail it, no problem. They were SURE, and just to make sure, I could have my $ back if it did not meet my satisfaction. I would love to re-do the guitar, because I really hate this color, but its light as a feather, (and yes its a matter of opinion, but i have a computer half filled with Quilted maple,) and I have never seen a better top for what i like, and that neck! :eek: It just so happens that ever since i was a kid, maroon has been one of my least favorite colors, and that orange/red pomegranate one of my favorites. (I also LOVE Pomegranates! One of my favorite fruits) The one good quality about the refin color, is that in person, the quilt REALLY pops. You can actually stick your finger about 3/4 of an inch into the wood. :biggrin: The darker old color was a total quilt killer in person. No depth to it at all, and this piece of wood, even in its natural state with no water sprayed on it was almost 4D it was so deep.

I thought you picked your color from a video -my bad.

My post above will only serve as reasons why emailed color confirmations would be a bad idea.

Last edited:
I thought you picked your color from a video -my bad.

My post above will only serve as reasons why emailed color confirmations would be a bad idea.
Hey Rugerpc,

Its the best way besides sending an actual small piece of wood back and forth by mail I think. For example, if you look at this picture. It is an actual picture of the "Pomegranate" wood sample they have at PRS, and like I said previously, the reason I picked that color.

408941340.jpg

If you then go to the 5 minute 27 second time in this video, you will see that Quilted guitar, done in that color. One is coming from an actual picture of the piece of wood, the other from a video on youtube, yet the colors look almost dead on. No one would complain about that kind of variation, and that will happen from one piece of wood to another. You see that on the production PRSs all the time. But to get a color that looks like mine, well...forget about it. No excuse in my book the first time around, never mind the second.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first PRS was a special order turquoise custom. The color is awesome, but I thought it was a mistake at first because it came out very greenish. Thats when I learned about yellowish maple meeting a blue stain. Common knowledge, "yellow and blue make green". Lucky for me I really like the result. However, I didn't send a pic to the PS team. I still think in your case and others like yours, they should test the stain on the back of the top, or on scraps from that SAME wood BEFORE the build. That way they can custom tweek the formula of a small batch of stain to perfectly match your pics. Then, after they get an exact match, set it aside to be used specifically on your gtr. Like I said I'm no luthier, but my common sense tells me thats what I would do.............and PS should too. Ok, penny for my thoughts, keep the change. I hope PRS makes you happy just because of good conscience. My two private stocks are a realization of 35 gtr playing years of dreams not just and expense. I mean, money really isn't everything........that pomogranete color gtr is your dream.........priceless.

I'm so sad for you Tag, I just think of how much time you wasted on waiting for this to have the guarantee it would be right and it's not, I would have thought this last time they would have sent pictures to you before it was shipped confirming it was right. It's not comical, it's sad, very sad. No matter what top it has and how good it sounds I would not keep it. I would get a refund and put the whole thing behind me. Life is to short to deal with this.

I'm so sad for you Tag, I just think of how much time you wasted on waiting for this to have the guarantee it would be right and it's not, I would have thought this last time they would have sent pictures to you before it was shipped confirming it was right. It's not comical, it's sad, very sad. No matter what top it has and how good it sounds I would not keep it. I would get a refund and put the whole thing behind me. Life is to short to deal with this.

I can do one more thing I guess. I can ask them to do it again. Its wrong and they know it. I can tell them to do it again and send me pics with that wood sample right next to it before they ship it back to me. Whats another 3 months? This is my dream guitar, and that color was part of it. It is the only thing missing. Thats what they should have done this time. They guaranteed me it would be right, so instead of a refund, how about getting it right? I will write Tina on Tuesday and say thats what I would like, and can they do that for me. I also asked that they made sure to put the whammy bar in the case that I never got with it. Still no whammy bar.

Tag, you know I think you often have great insights into how things play and sound, and you're such a fine player. Good person, too.

Well you've gotten the full panoply of advice, everything from keep it and enjoy it to return it and set fire to PRS and your dealer.

I can't resist making a few comments, either.

If the guitar didn't play well, or had an electrical problem, or sounded bad, it should go back. But if it doesn't match the Pantone color shades you had in mind, and that's the only problem, I think you're taking this way too far. The guitar is gorgeous. It was gorgeous in the first place.

At this point, it's become a tantrum with lots of onlookers. You're a mature guy, and you know how to solve a problem as a businessman and it isn't making a stink on a forum. You're a better guy than that.

You have a zillion dream guitars and amps. And you know the color of the guitar is the least important aspect of the instrument. Forget about the freaking color, and play the effing guitar, is my advice. But if not, deal with it like a business person does with a trusted vendor.

I know this post isn't going to make you happy, but posting on a forum like this unfortunately invites people to express their opinions, so you have mine. Again.

Tag, you know I think you often have great insights into how things play and sound, and you're such a fine player. Good person, too.

Well you've gotten the full panoply of advice, everything from keep it and enjoy it to return it and set fire to PRS and your dealer.

I can't resist making a few comments, either.

If the guitar didn't play well, or had an electrical problem, or sounded bad, it should go back. But if it doesn't match the Pantone color shades you had in mind, and that's the only problem, I think you're taking this way too far. The guitar is gorgeous. It was gorgeous in the first place.

At this point, it's become a tantrum with lots of onlookers. You're a mature guy, and you know how to solve a problem as a businessman and it isn't making a stink on a forum. You're a better guy than that.

You have a zillion dream guitars and amps. And you know the color of the guitar is the least important aspect of the instrument. Forget about the freaking color, and play the effing guitar, is my advice. But if not, deal with it like a business person does with a trusted vendor.

I know this post isn't going to make you happy, but posting on a forum like this unfortunately invites people to express their opinions, so you have mine. Again.

here Les,
I will surprise you. I agree with you. I talked to my girlfriend about it from the beginning. You know that I am 99% of the time a black and white guy. No gray areas. My problem lies when there IS a gray area, I can NEVER make up my mind, and here we are in one of those very rare (for me) gray areas. I really needed to do 2 things. #1, Blow off more steam, because I AM pissed off, and #2, seek others advice and opinions. But I do not want to let this get into a rant on my part, and it was moving there very quicky. So no more negatives from me. Waffle time again, I will keep the guitar, and when I get the blue one back, go through all of them (My PSs) and see which fits my style the least, and put that one up for sale. I will also sell off a few other things, and once I get the $$ together, see if I feel like giving this one more go or not to try and get everything right. If not, there is this really cool Kurt Sands nylon string I have been thinking about and....... ;) And thanks for your advice too Les. You know how much I respect your thinking. :)

here Les,
I will surprise you. I agree with you. I talked to my girlfriend about it from the beginning. You know that I am 99% of the time a black and white guy. No gray areas. My problem lies when there IS a gray area, I can NEVER make up my mind, and here we are in one of those very rare (for me) gray areas. I really needed to do 2 things. #1, Blow off more steam, because I AM pissed off, and #2, seek others advice and opinions. But I do not want to let this get into a rant on my part, and it was moving there very quicky. So no more negatives from me. Waffle time again, I will keep the guitar, and when I get the blue one back, go through all of them (My PSs) and see which fits my style the least, and put that one up for sale. I will also sell off a few other things, and once I get the $$ together, see if I feel like giving this one more go or not to try and get everything right. If not, there is this really cool Kurt Sands nylon string I have been thinking about and....... ;) And thanks for your advice too Les. You know how much I respect your thinking. :)

Right on.

This is why I love you, man!

Why shouldn't folks give opinions on a message board? Is it just cause the opinions happen to be somewhat critical? Just a genuine question. Cheers.

Last edited:
If they're willing, and feel able to do so, I don't see why you don't let them have 1 more shot at it. Nothing to lose. Seems quicker and easier than the alternatives at this point, and within 3 months, you might have EXACTLY what you want. I say go for it. I am of the belief that there is more to an instrument than the sound and playability. I think that there is something to be said for the beauty of the instrument as you briefly look at it before and between playings. I think this makes an emotional connection as much as the other factors. To me, this is as much or more of the private stock experience than the actual physical or audible factors.

I did not see your comments as ranting or complaining, rather soliciting advice. My advice is to give it 1 more shot.

Take my advice for what you've paid for it.
Kevin

And I just wanted to add that I love PRS. I sold off all my others to go all-Paul, but I'm not so married to the brand to the extent that I'd want to quash any discussion, no matter how negative it may be. That's just what message boards are for. I imagine Tag may very well bomb this thread like he did the first time around, so all will probably be good in the end. I just wanted to ask about the heavy sensitivity cause it seems so foreign to me unless one has some super personal connection to the company or man himself. Anyhoo, not trolling and not wanting a nasty back-and-forth. Just trying to suss out the thinking behind shutting down people giving their opinions.

Last edited:
here Les,

I don't understand your last remark, Tag... Do you talk about gathering the money necessary to put that guitar right regarding the colour? I don't see how you should be the one who pay for it, if you decide to go for a third try?

Either way - great idea in any case to downsize - I think it can rejuvenate! :)

My advice (uncalled for, but this is the downside of freedom of speech! ;-):

Make up your mind about how the whole process went, and make up your mind about the guitar and the colour. But keep these two aspect separate in your mind. I realize this is very tough, but I think you have a really bad feeling about how the whole process went (which I totally understand!!), an I'd hate to see that kind of "tarnish" the guitar in your mind. Judge the GUITAR on its own merits. Then make up your mind how to proceed.

If you haven't already, then write a letter to the folks at PRS about the whole thing., to get it out of your system a bit And then - BEFORE SENDING IT!! - sleep on it. Maybe wait two days. Then read it and edit if you feel it should be, and then send it at that time.

Then make up your mind about the guitar after that point.

I wouldn't even wait until your #1 PS comes back.

It's something to do for your own peace of mind (and clarity), so you can at least temporarily let go of that side of it, and focus on your guitar.

Just some pocket-psychology from doctor Michael.

Disclaimer: doctor Michael is not a real doctor, and anything he says should be taken with a pound of salt.

Disclaimer #2: The pound of salt is a metaphor. Do not consume a pound of salt.

Why shouldn't folks give opinions on a message board? Is it just cause the opinions happen to be somewhat critical? Just a genuine question. Cheers.
I do not want to stop anyone from giving their opinion in any way! My comment to Les was more about me. I have stated my unhappiness with my entire PS experience, and I just do not want to keep hounding on that. (See, I just did it again) :iamconfused: Opinions and ideas are totally welcome.

Let them try to nail the color again. You will feel better. Final answer.

Agree. I will email Tina on Tuesday. I get mad every time I look at the guitar. That is not what PS is all about, and will most likely only get worse over time, not better. Please, no more posts until I hear back from Tina. My black and white mind cant take it. Its going to blow. Thanks for the opinions everyone, it is really, really, appreciated. :)

They should do whatever they want, that's why I gave opinions.

I took it as Les saying...OK Tag, we know you are still unhappy. You have made that clear. Now stop crying, and see what PRS will do about it. I agree. It just took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do, and thank you guys for helping me figure out what that is. I really feel stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited:
I took it as Les saying...OK Tag, we know you are still unhappy. You have made that clear. Now stop crying, and see what PRS will do about it. I agree. It just took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do, and thank you guys for helping me figure out what that is. I really feel stuck between a rock and a hard place.

From what I know about Les, this is how I read it too.

Now,

Mmmmmmm.... Time for some tasty PIE!

If they're willing, and feel able to do so, I don't see why you don't let them have 1 more shot at it.
Agreed. You'll never be happy, and maybe they'll fast track it for you. You deserve it.
It's not a Chevy beater, It's a Mercedes. You pay extra for quality, you should get it. Be satisfied.

Back