NGD! Used DGT!!!

Dood...that sux!

Back in May, both my car and my wife’s Toyota Sienna died. That’s right two new cars inside 6 weeks. Went from no car payments for 10 years to 2. I could have had a sampler platter of the PSotMs from a couple of years ago.

Yeah, we were free and clear on car payments for 7 years. Now we'll be back to two.

Several years ago I had what I thought was a clogged drain. Turned out the sewer line under the driveway was collapsing, all 220 feet of it down there at depths up to 12 feet. $46k (no insurance because the problem was outside the house) to dig through the caliche (nature's cement) and rock and now my drain runs fine ... my tears go right out to the main sewer without a problem.

Went through something similar (but much cheaper) a couple years ago. Drain line would back up into the basement periodically (nowhere near the guitars, thank goodness). Had a company out who said they found a complete blockage under the garage floor and would have to dig up I don't know how much drain line. Had another guy look at it, said we only needed to do what was under the garage floor. Still one of those wow moments when we got the estimate. He dug up the floor and yelled up, "I think you need to come down and see this". Went down and looked, you know, with my vast plumbing knowledge, and the problem was fairly obvious. The pipe was gone. Not broken or crushed - gone. He said, "It almost looks like there was nothing here, and honestly, I don't know how anything ever drained." Works like a champ now.

Yeah, we were free and clear on car payments for 7 years. Now we'll be back to two.

Just rejoined the car payment club myself. Replaced a 2004 Buick Terraza. Too many little things adding up, and it had a nagging ABS/traction control issue that I was not willing to put big money into. So I'm into a brand spankin' new ride for the first time in 10 years, and with all the new stuff, it's one of those "why did I put this off so long" moments. The "oh yeah, that's why" came with the first payment.

Went through something similar (but much cheaper) a couple years ago. Drain line would back up into the basement periodically (nowhere near the guitars, thank goodness). Had a company out who said they found a complete blockage under the garage floor and would have to dig up I don't know how much drain line. Had another guy look at it, said we only needed to do what was under the garage floor. Still one of those wow moments when we got the estimate. He dug up the floor and yelled up, "I think you need to come down and see this". Went down and looked, you know, with my vast plumbing knowledge, and the problem was fairly obvious. The pipe was gone. Not broken or crushed - gone. He said, "It almost looks like there was nothing here, and honestly, I don't know how anything ever drained." Works like a champ now.

Just rejoined the car payment club myself. Replaced a 2004 Buick Terraza. Too many little things adding up, and it had a nagging ABS/traction control issue that I was not willing to put big money into. So I'm into a brand spankin' new ride for the first time in 10 years, and with all the new stuff, it's one of those "why did I put this off so long" moments. The "oh yeah, that's why" came with the first payment.

I take it you guys have a similar credit system for cars (PCP in UK)? Where you never actually own the car?

We used to lease. It can work well if you stay under the milage limits. If not, OUCH!

I'm kind of lucky. I have two co vehicles so i rarely drive my personal vehicle which is a 15 passenger E350 ford van. It's been paid off for a long time but my wife trades cars every 2 years so that payment never goes away.

We've had a few financial hits in the last 8 years but we bounced back.

I could afford a PS but it would be unwise. We are paying down our house and should have it paid off in 8 years or less. I like that. I wouldn't like it if my wife spent PS level money on something when we are focusing on the house so I won't do it.

I'm not gigging anymore so I don't have that flow of cash to buy gear like I used to. I will still buy guitars but I'm selling gear to fund it instead.

There are some badass guitars some of you forum members own and I'd love to join in but I got to keep it dailed back for a while.

Bought new windows earlier in the year. Our water heater, while working, will need to be replaced next year. Probably a new AC unit after that. There are a few guitars I’d like to buy. Hell, I thought about doing a refin but probably won’t even be able to do that. I’d like to put a fence up in the back yard for the pooch and replace some doors too. I don’t see any realistic time to fit a new PRS in there. On the upside, I still find plenty of inspiration in the ones I have.

I'm kind of lucky. I have two co vehicles so i rarely drive my personal vehicle which is a 15 passenger E350 ford van. It's been paid off for a long time but my wife trades cars every 2 years so that payment never goes away.

We've had a few financial hits in the last 8 years but we bounced back.

I could afford a PS but it would be unwise. We are paying down our house and should have it paid off in 8 years or less. I like that. I wouldn't like it if my wife spent PS level money on something when we are focusing on the house so I won't do it.

I'm not gigging anymore so I don't have that flow of cash to buy gear like I used to. I will still buy guitars but I'm selling gear to fund it instead.

There are some badass guitars some of you forum members own and I'd love to join in but I got to keep it dailed back for a while.

You’ve got the right priorities. Getting the house paid off was a big load off my back.

During my working years I would have one decent guitar around.

Now I’m retired, in a paid off house, and within limits can decide if I want to wrench on a hot rod, or just buy more PRS guitars!
My ‘68 Plymouth is long gone!

I cancelled my Special Semi Hollow order as I had to replace the exhaust on my sons CRV, then the wife has dental and gum issues ( no dental insurance from work). I opted for a nice used McCarty

I feel your pain on the dental stuff. I had wisdom teeth trouble and my wife lost a crown and in the same week broke another tooth. I had a cherry 1998 C5 Corvette I bought from a friend that had it since it was new. I planned on just keeping it for a while then flipping it...had it about 7 months, maybe put 150 miles on it, then sold it...all the profit from it went straight to the dentist the next afternoon. With my gimpy back, leg and shoulder, getting out of the Vette was never pretty anyway...I litterally had to roll out onto the ground. So yeah I sold it. Besides, and trust me when I say this, being from Alabama, the last thing you want to do ride around in a Corvette with a jacked up hillbilly teethl! That would be just toooooo easy;)

Or not.

3AJTdeo.jpg

G@ddammit. New hot water heater instead.

Whenever things pop up that need fixing or replacing I think of what guitar I could’ve bought instead. In this case I think I could’ve bought a nice used DGT, maybe a nice frost blue Standard? You guys would have loved that...

How about you? What would you have gotten instead of some recent frivolous expenditure like a new transmission or a dishwasher?

Hot water is overrated.

You’ve got the right priorities. Getting the house paid off was a big load off my back.

During my working years I would have one decent guitar around.

Now I’m retired, in a paid off house, and within limits can decide if I want to wrench on a hot rod, or just buy more PRS guitars!
My ‘68 Plymouth is long gone!
Yeah, we refinanced our house when interest rates got stupid low with a 15 year mortgage plus we pay extra every month.

With the interest I will save maybe 2 or 3 PS in my distant future??????

Last edited:
Back