New PRS Owner Has Questions.

Bob Turner

28099848476_f0c20c15f7_b.jpg
Just purchased a McCarty 594 and have some questions before it arrives. Do the PRS guitars come with strap locks or is this just an optical thing? How tight does one snug the Phase Tuners to lock the strings. What is the best polish to use on the PRS finish? Silly questions, but have allows owned Ibanez and Gibson.

Last edited:
No strap locks, but they're huge -- I actually take them off to get my straps on, that way I don't stretch out the hole, and feel confident the straps won't come off.

Just purchased a McCarty 594 and have some questions before it arrives. Do the PRS guitars come with strap locks or is this just an optical thing? How tight does one snug the Phase Tuners to lock the strings. What is the best polish to use on the PRS finish? Silly questions, but have allows owned Ibanez and Gibson.

Hi Bob, congrats! You made an excellent choice. Would love to see pics when you get a chance.

From my experience (using a quarter) I give the string lock screw a medium turn till I feel it clamp down (don't overtighten), then tune to pitch, stretch, lather, rinse, repeat. At the end, I give them a final little turn and then do the final tuning. Not sure if that's the "proper" way but it works well for me.

PRS polish is fine, I usually use a clean t-shirt to wipe down, and very little polish occasionally. I've used the Dunlop65 polish as well.

This link tells about the tuners. http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/tuners.html It doesn't specifically mention the Phase III tuners but they work just like the Phase II tuners mentioned.

Or just do what CantankerousCarl said.

I used to tighten locking tuners with only my fingers but I had one slip only once so now I use a quarter to snug just a little more.

No need to go crazy with them.

Congrats on fabulous new guitar.

Will upload some pics tonight as work puter won't let me do so. Thanks for all the quick replies.

Will upload some pictures tonight. Work computer won't let me do so. Thanks to all for the quick replies

Will upload some pictures tonight. Work computer won't let me do so. Thanks to all for the quick replies

Congrats on a great purchase as an intro to PRS! I follow the same procedure as Carl with the quarter, and just going snug. As for polish, I use the PRS stuff and a micro fiber cloth.

Just an FYI on pics, in case you missed it; they have to be hosted on a third party site like Photobucket, Flickr, etc. Once you upload them to such a site, you can cut/paste into a post, or use the image button.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum!

Welcome and congrats!

I usually tighten the lock screws "almost" as hard as I can by hand. Never had a problem, and don't want to damage the threads. You can do it with a quarter as well, but you have to be reasonably careful you don't overtigthen.

Edit: I see Bodia beat me to this suggestion since I left for a little while between starting the message and actually posting it. >_<

Just one thing to add; a microfiber cloth is preferable to a shirt or other random cloth, even if it feels soft and smooth, for avoiding small scratches in finish/glass/etc.

I use them for cleaning any surface that isn't super durable these days. You should be fine either way, but since you're taking the time to ask care questions I figured you'd want to know your best options. :)

@Bob Turner,
CONGRATS! I wish you a lot of enjoyable moments with your (currently highly expected) 594.
Regarding your questions suggestions by other members have been made. I'm very satisfied with all the cleaning eqpt PRS offers.
Concerning the locking tuner screws: there's no need to tighten them more than to turn the screw until it is hand fixed.

BUT driven from my personal experience with original PRS straps and pins (pic could be found here) I recommend to exchange the pins to security strap locks (e.g. Schaller).

28099848476_f0c20c15f7_b.jpg

Congratulations, beautiful guitar!

As for your questions, i understand that the "594" finish is Nitro so you have to take that in consideration when choosing a any polish and it is also better to use a microfiber cloth.

Wow! You broke the neck off already and taped it back in place!! ;)

Just kidding. Welcome to the PRS family and this website. Lots of good, helpful people here. Your 594 is stone gorgeous and I wish you years of enjoyment with it.

=K

Congratulations, beautiful guitar!

As for your questions, i understand that the "594" finish is Nitro so you have to take that in consideration when choosing a any polish and it is also better to use a microfiber cloth.

Are you sure? Most core PRSi are v12 finishes, with Nitro on the PS. I don't know. I don't see it listed in the specs on the PRS site.

KEvin

Back