My first NGD in about 3 decades (and first ever PRS)!!!

Vic6string

DgKW3zV.jpg

So, I wanted to splurge a little for myself as I am just a few months away from the big 50, and I finally pulled the trigger on this new CE24 Semi hollow (and thanks to the forum members who helped me make my decision). All I can say is this thing FAR exceeded my expectations! I was going to go with something flashier (really wanted fire red burst) but every time I went to check Sweetwater this thing just kept calling me. I love that it looks like a well worn pair of blue jeans and even though it was one of the most subdued colors I just couldn't keep passing it up.

I don't know what I am happier with: the sound or the feel. It has twice the power of my old (I mean OLD...1986) Charvel model 3A, which surprised me, but is somehow WAY cleaner at those levels. Of course it was in tune right out of the box (ok, the B string needed about a 1/4) and that neck....Oh my God that neck!!!!!! It is the perfect shape, perfect width, perfect thickness, and the satin back is so smooth that I forgot it even had a back. I sound like I somehow added a few hundred hours of practice time as my playing is MUCH cleaner with this right out of the box.

Being semi-hollow, it has half the weight but twice the resonance of my old guitar. It's a full 3 pounds lighter than my old axe, yet has all the sustain, and then some. The hole gives it just enough resonance that I can actually practice amp free and still really hear myself. It isn't an acoustic, but it's acoustic-enough. Playing it sitting down, I thought I was getting a call but then I noticed my phone wasn't in my pocket...that was the guitar singing through my thigh. I'm in love with this thing! Now I see why you all have so many of these...I am already shopping for my next PRS (not waiting 30 years again).

Congrats!

Your previous guitar is no slough either. These early MIJ Charvels are great, owned two of them (6 and 750xl). However both don't hold a candle to my current PRSi.

Congrats!

Your previous guitar is no slough either. These early MIJ Charvels are great, owned two of them (6 and 750xl). However both don't hold a candle to my current PRSi.
Yeah, I have nothing bad to say about the Charvel. It went almost completely unplayed for about 20-25 years, most of the time just sitting on a stand in a corner, and all I had to do was blow the dust off, change strings, and bring the action down. It still plays reasonably well, but I'm not a "super-strat" type of player, never was....more of a blues guy. I actually won that Charvel in a raffle back around 86 or 87 at the grand opening of a guitar store and at the time I didn't even know how to play. I was going to trade it to someone for a PA and mic since I was a singer, but the night I won it Cinemax was playing Jimi Hendrix and the Montreux Jazz Festival and I took it as a sign to keep the guitar and learn how to play.
So this PRS is the first electric guitar I actually chose for myself, and it looks like it was absolutely the right choice.

Back