Help needed! First PRS and a bit of a noob

matty1938

Hey guys, I played a bit 20years ago! I had a crappy budget guitar, but I started picking up some basic songs! Exams, then military, then family happened, somehow I’m now 36 and starting to think in my down time I want to have something, I love rock music, especially classic rock and would love to give it another shot.
I am blown away by all the tech now, and I have 100% decided on a PRS guitar, love the short history and I like what Paul himself has to say!
Could do with a bit of help, at first I was just happy to pick up some second hand beater, now i have dove in!
So

Do I want a tremolo? Or at the price point I am looking at is that going to cause me tuning issues?
Custom 24 or 24/08 maybe?

SE CE custom 24?

SE 245? - no tremolo sounds good but I hear mixed reviews about tone.

SE Paul’s guitar - looks and sound incredible but is it was a couple hundred more?

McCarty 594 - too classic in sound? I like the fixed bridge but for similar money is the Paul’s guitar the better option?

I will be playing / learning mostly chilled rock, led zeppelin, foo fighters, oasis, the usual must learn tracks as well lol.

Sorry I am a noob in terms of pick ups, coils etc etc, I am basically looking for something that’s going to sound great but is affordable and will last me 4 years happily and if I am still playing and in love, my 40th will be a core or something lol!!!

The trem on my SE's never caused any issues for me that I don't also experience on my Core guitars. Will it stay in perfect tune after using it? No, I haven't really experience a trem that does even my FR will go slightly off after some moderate use. So if you need absolute rock solid tuning stability, go for the hard tail. SE Paul's is a great versatile guitar, just make sure you try one first because the neck is a little larger than the other models. I would also look into the new SE Swamp Ash Special, myself and many others have had great experiences with them and they look spectacular as well, the Swamp Ash can be heavy though so ask for weights. The Cu24 is always the staple PRS guitar. Having access to 24 frets is really important to some people, and they always feel right.
To answer the last question, I don't think you can go wrong with either a 594 or PG, I think they will sound pretty similar to one another. I'd say get the one that you can find a better deal on or one that you like the colour/finish.

btw, there can only be one 'noob' :D

Could do with a bit of help, at first I was just happy to pick up some second hand beater, now i have dove in!
Second hand is the way to go for me. Especially figuring out what you want out of a guitar. You can get into a se for not a lot of money, and if it's not for you move without a loss or much of one. The money you save can be put towards a proper setup by a good tech or you can dive into learning yourself without much fear.
Do I want a tremolo? Or at the price point I am looking at is that going to cause me tuning issues?
I'm a trem guy. PRS trems are some of the best in the business. My favorite. I don't use the trem a lot, but it is also about playing comfort. My pick hand feels at home. Tuning stability of PRS is rock solid. Tuning issues are typically at the nut.

I'm a tone tweaker who likes the idea of a 2408, but a normal 24 is excellent too. Personally preferences both ways. I prefer a standard over the custom on the se level. I prefer the tone but also like the natural top. You also save a few bucks. With some patience find a smokin' deal on a s2 standard. In hindsight that's where I would gave started my PRS journey.

SE CE custom 24?
This is a guitar I have zero interest in. Others like them though. Me, I'd find an older core level ce or even ce used for not a ton more money. I found a killer deal the other month for a forum member and regularly have to resist pulling the trigger myself.

I'm a big fan of this model. Going singlecut se it's absolutely the route I'd go. Well, maybe a Tremonti for the trem. I like both scales 24.5 and 25. The se245 has my favorite PRS neck profile widefat and the Tremonti has the widethin profile I preferred when I started out on PRS.
SE Paul’s guitar - looks and sound incredible but is it was a couple hundred more?
Not for me, but others love them. The tone options are cool, but otherwise not a guitar that's made my personal list.

McCarty 594 - too classic in sound? I like the fixed bridge but for similar money is the Paul’s guitar the better option?
I'm not one for the vintage neck profile. If I did go 594, a s2 would absolutely be the route I'd go. I looked at them for a while and excellent deals pop up used. Going se, the standard 594 would be my choice here too. Although I do have a soft spot for the double cut gray se. Also check out the s2594 thinline. That's a guitar on my wish list.

I am basically looking for something that’s going to sound great but is affordable and will last me 4 years happily and if I am still playing and in love, my 40th will be a core or something lol!!!
You're looking at the right brand! All PRS have their pros and are very addictive. You'll want another after your first. This is another reason I like used, my wallet hurts from PRS GAS. Keep an eye out and patience will even find deals on a core. I've picked up helluva guitars for prices that blow my mind. All levels have their merits and not a wrong choice.

I'd recommend going to play as many as you can, even if you have to make some road trips out of it. You'll find the one that speaks to you.

Welcome and happy hunting!

Last edited:
I'd recommend going playing as many as you can even if you have to make some road trips out of it. You'll find the one that speaks to you.

Welcome and happy hunting!

I'll second this emotion, but also want to hop in with @opnoob on the SE SAS. If you aren't really sure what exactly you are looking for, these are great guitars with a versatile array of tone options. The price point is great and it will cover a wide range of the classic rock tones you seem to be after. Definitely worth checking out, along with the other you mentioned. As @SinSir said, you will find the guitar that speaks to you and you will KNOW.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Also, you are now morally obligated to post pics of your new axe within hours of acquisition. We'll be waiting. ;)

the SE SAS. If you aren't really sure what exactly you are looking for, these are great guitars with a versatile array of tone options. The price point is great and it will cover a wide range of the classic rock tones you seem to be after.
You are absolutely on point to check out the seSAS. So many times I resisted pulling the trigger, including lauch day when I played it back to back with a MK. If I didn't have a core SAS I would have done it then and there. If it had been a rosewood board to compliment my maple SAS I would have bought it for sure.

They are a tone tweakers paradise to wire up whatever you want beyond the many stock options. PRS, PLEASE release a rosewood for this mad scientist to tweak! :D

Hi Matty, where ever you are in the world, if you can find a dealer that stocks plenty of PRS, go get hands on.

I did so today with an SE Silver Sky. Very impressed, tones, playability, fit and finish. It’s my kind of guitar, but won’t suit everyone. Unfortunately no SE Swamp Ash Specials to groove out on, but maybe next time.

I have an SE 245 and they’re a great guitar to start your PRS journey.

Go try lots of PRS if you can. Happy twanging.

I just bought a mint SE 24 Standard at Dave's for an insane price. I won't post the price here, but it was so low I felt like buying two.

It's perfect for me as it doest have the mini toggles...just a push/pull for both pickups at once, regular top without all the flame and entire guitar feels like a competitors $2.5k guitar. I'm stunned. The trem stays in tune for mild shimmers and more if you know how to wiggle them to stay in tune.
The wide thin neck is my new favorite. This is coming from a six decade player with a blessed collection of other guitars. I'd put this guitar against any other, on a dealer's wall...except maybe a better PRS. This one is a solid keeper. It came with a gig bag but I bought a hard case. The PRS tuners work fine but I like lockers and strap locks too.
The 24 frets make it a SG killer for fret access...hard to believe until you see it.

Hey guys, I played a bit 20years ago! I had a crappy budget guitar, but I started picking up some basic songs! Exams, then military, then family happened, somehow I’m now 36 and starting to think in my down time I want to have something, I love rock music, especially classic rock and would love to give it another shot.
I am blown away by all the tech now, and I have 100% decided on a PRS guitar, love the short history and I like what Paul himself has to say!
So

SE CE custom 24?

I will be playing / learning mostly chilled rock, led zeppelin, foo fighters, oasis, the usual must learn tracks as well lol.

Sorry I am a noob in terms of pick ups, coils etc etc, I am basically looking for something that’s going to sound great but is affordable and will last me 4 years happily and if I am still playing and in love, my 40th will be a core or something lol!!!

Are there any stores nearby that sell PRS guitars you can play? If so I’d highly recommend playing any models you may be interested in. Only you can decide if a guitar inspires you or is what you want. I’ll share some basic things to consider:

Do you have a preference for single coil pickups or humbuckers? For some people only a single coil will do. Those people could choose a Silver SKY SE. Some people don’t like single coils because of the hum. Other people love them because of their tone and clarity. Most of the humbucker equipped PRS guitars offer coil tapping capability that can sound similar to a single coil pickup.

It sounds like you are unsure about whether or not to get a guitar with tremolo. I recommend playing a PRS with tremolo and without to see if one appeals to you more. If you do want a tremolo, the good news is the PRS tremolo is probably the best one available whether on an SE, S2, or Core.

There are a lot of great PRS SE and S2 guitars available both new and used. I got an SE DGT that I absolutely love. I’ve played SE Mccarty 594, Custom 24, SAS, and Silver Sky guitars. None of them were duds. My favorite SE guitar right now is the DGT. I like the neck, tremolo, large frets, pickups, control layout, and coil split capability. The pickups are similar to vintage PAF pickups. They have good clarity when in humbucking and coil tapped mode. The coil tap implementation gets good single coil like sounds with little volume loss when switching to coil tap mode.

To me the DGT reminds me of a vintage sounding Les Paul with a tremolo. It can also get Telecaster like sounds with the coil taps. The larger frets make it easier for bending strings. I like the different tones I can get with the two volume controls when the pickup selector switch is in the middle position. The tones vary a lot even with small changes to one or more of the volume pots.

Another guitar that interests me is the SE 594. It is like a vintage guitar with lower output pickups. It’s similar to the DGT but without the tremolo. You can quickly switch back and forth between tunings on a 594 since it has a fixed bridge. A lot of people play in drop D tuning in addition to standard tuning. This is harder to do on tremolo equipped guitars.

Last edited:
Just my thoughts, but what I would do is look at each of those guitars, new and used. Sometimes the better product is a used one at a better price. Then play them, and see how you like them. Your list is pretty diverse so you will find something you like, just a matter of "that" guitar and the feel and sound of it.

I would just get the model you like best. Everything is going to be new to you and therefore, awkward. The two biggest concerns you should have are the quality of the guitar and how much it makes you WANT to play it. You can't go wrong with any PRS SE guitar, so that solves issue #1. Choosing the guitar that makes you want to pick it up and play it every time you see it solves the other.

Back