Saving has begun - seeking advice

Here's the thing:

Every single PRS, without exception, can be used to play any style of music. So it's a matter of what's right for you, and you're the only one who can decide that.

All here can suggest a guitar to check out, and it's all meaningless in a vacuum. The most important question is what you, with your hands, your ears, and your brain, can do with the options on the table.

The only way you can possibly know that is to play them.

How many "I liked it but didn't bond with it" for-sale ads have you seen over the years? Innumerable.

So they go on the 'guitar buying merry-go-round' and spend thousands of dollars, over and over, without taking a test drive. I don't know about you, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If I'm spending five large on something, I want to know what I'm getting.

Here's an example: You find several players here recommending the Santana. Yes, it's a nice instrument, but I didn't care for the ones I've played, and I generally like the kinds of tones Carlos gets. It simply wasn't the right guitar for me. So I've never bought one.

Another example: I think the DGT is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but others here don't care for the taller frets, or perhaps the controls, or...or...

I love the CU24 but don't love the wide-thin neck on the current ones (I have one with the Pattern Regular neck and it gets a lot of use).

If you like a Les Paul-influenced tone, you'll love a 594, and the neck feels amazing in my hands, but maybe not yours.

Et cetera.

Bottom line for me is that if you're looking for a bunch of online fans of various models to suggest the right guitar for you, that's a big mistake. Get in your car, take a road trip to a well-stocked dealer, and avoid buyer's remorse. At the very least, try a bunch and see what works best for you, first-hand.

Heirlooms are not bought blind online on the recommendation of a bunch of fan boys and girls like us. They're bought carefully, hand-selected, and people take their time choosing.

To paraphrase Sergio, all other courses of action are trash. ;)

Last edited:
Here's the thing:

Every single PRS, without exception, can be used to play any style of music. So it's a matter of what's right for you, and you're the only one who can decide that.

All here can suggest a guitar to check out, and it's all meaningless in a vacuum. The most important question is what you, with your hands, your ears, and your brain, can do with the options on the table.

The only way you can possibly know that is to play them.

How many "I liked it but didn't bond with it" for-sale ads have you seen over the years? Innumerable.

So they go on the 'guitar buying merry-go-round' and spend thousands of dollars, over and over, without taking a test drive. I don't know about you, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If I'm spending five large on something, I want to know what I'm getting.

Here's an example: You find several players here recommending the Santana. Yes, it's a nice instrument, but I didn't care for the ones I've played, and I generally like the kinds of tones Carlos gets. It simply wasn't the right guitar for me. So I've never bought one.

Another example: I think the DGT is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but others here don't care for the taller frets, or perhaps the controls, or...or...

I love the CU24 but don't love the wide-thin neck on the current ones (I have one with the Pattern Regular neck and it gets a lot of use).

If you like a Les Paul-influenced tone, you'll love a 594, and the neck feels amazing in my hands, but maybe not yours.

Et cetera.

Bottom line for me is that if you're looking for a bunch of online fans of various models to suggest the right guitar for you, that's a big mistake. Get in your car, take a road trip to a well-stocked dealer, and avoid buyer's remorse. At the very least, try a bunch and see what works best for you, first-hand.

Heirlooms are not bought blind online on the recommendation of a bunch of fan boys and girls like us. They're bought carefully, hand-selected, and people take their time choosing.

To paraphrase Sergio, all other courses of action are trash. ;)

Fully agree with you my aim was more to open up my choices getting feedback, I’d certainly not lump in sth because someone said it was great, guitars are personal, I just don’t have the option of many if any dealers in my country so looking for input on how others find different PRS and their use case and experience

Fully agree with you my aim was more to open up my choices getting feedback, I’d certainly not lump in sth because someone said it was great, guitars are personal, I just don’t have the option of many if any dealers in my country so looking for input on how others find different PRS and their use case and experience
I didn't realize your location wasn't the US! That certainly makes picking the right one tougher.

Back