PRS 57/08 Treble in Tremonti or leave it alone?

jdj89

So I recently got a(nother) new to me Tremonti model and I love it! I've had a few of them in the past and have traded or sold them for something else but always find myself coming back to that model. I've tired the SC and DC McCarty 594, Custom 24's, Several SE models and more. All were great guitars just ended up not being for me. The Tremonti as a whole just fits me so well, I love the singlecut body, the neck carve, 3 way toggle, trem bridge, humbuckers, weight, etc.

I even love the pickups but here is where I am pondering a change....The neck pickup is great! I mostly use the neck for clean tones or maybe a little bit of OD and I like it for that. The bridge pikcup is a beast, I love it! When I am playing by myself I have a blast with it, I can play the heavy, hard rock percussive riffs and screaming leads that its made for. Where I struggle with the bridge pickup is in a band setting. I play in my church and a CCM band so not your typical environment for that pickup at all. I have made it work though, I can dial the volume back and it cleans up pretty good but I lose some of the highs. I also use some pretty high gain at times and its been fine most of time, at times it can be a little too much. Now I'm not your typical one string, lead line washy reverb and delay kind of CCM player, I can be when needed but I tend to have more of a rock style in general.

So I am toying with the idea of throwing a 57/08 in the bridge. When I tried the McCarty singlecut I found the 58/15LT a little lacking for me. So my thinking is maybe a 57/08 would be a nice middle ground between the 58/15 in the McCarty and the Tremonti Bridge. I still want the ability to do higher gain and still have a good tone but also would like maybe a little less gain (hot) overall.

Another thing is when switching between the neck and bridge with the tremonti is there's usually a pretty big jump in volume and gain, even when clean. I know the Tremonti pickup is made to be hot, and sure as heck is. The rest of the guitar is perfect for me.

So any advice or tips from those of you who have maybe played both pickups before?

I prefer the 57/08's to any other PRS pickup set. But I'm old school and love the sound of alnico 2 PAFs.

When I played in the church band at Unity of Boulder I almost always used my '95 CU22 which I had removed the original Dragons from and replaced with Duncan Antiquitys. Those are similar to 57/08's. Alnico 2. Lower output, vintage PAF style pickups.

Today, even though i still like the Antiquitys, I'd go for the 57/08's instead. I have them in three different PRS guitars.

I kept the Dragons of course, and eventually I put them and the rotary switch back in again that CU22 and restored it to stock. But i think of them as being a great hard rock pickup set.

For me, the 57/08's would be more appropriate for low volume church playing and their sweeter, warmer tone would be easier on the ears in a church setting.

Last edited:
Are You Wanting To Stay With A PRS Suggestion Or Are You Open To Other Brands?

The 57/08 will definitely get you into the zone for playing at church. I haven’t in a while, but used to regularly, and it was always PAF-ish PRS pickups, and they worked very well.

IMO, it’s easy to get back the output that’s lost with lower output pickups with the plethora of tone shaping boost pedals available these days. I don’t even think twice about playing heavier styles with 57/08 or 59/09’s as long as I have a good boost on the board.

The 57/08 will definitely get you into the zone for playing at church. I haven’t in a while, but used to regularly, and it was always PAF-ish PRS pickups, and they worked very well.

IMO, it’s easy to get back the output that’s lost with lower output pickups with the plethora of tone shaping boost pedals available these days. I don’t even think twice about playing heavier styles with 57/08 or 59/09’s as long as I have a good boost on the board.
I used to have an older PRS singelcut that had the PRS #7 I believe and they always did great. I think they were PAF-ish. It's good to know that the 57/08 can go heavy if needed, not something I "need" do to often but like the option to be there.

I am usually playing through a Helix at church and if we're playing out at another venue as well with the band. The Helix, so far seems to have plenty of drive options to get what I am looking for. Like Lewguitar said above, a lower output, less aggressive pickup maybe more appropriate for what the guitars main uses are to me. I also alternate between the PRS and Am Pro tele.

I love 57/08s so that is always the right answer for me. I would probably suggest getting a new version 57/08, 4/5 wire version for it. They are a little hotter but still have great definition and tone. That will keep up better with the neck pickup.

I love 57/08s so that is always the right answer for me. I would probably suggest getting a new version 57/08, 4/5 wire version for it. They are a little hotter but still have great definition and tone. That will keep up better with the neck pickup.
I have read that newer 57/08 versions were a little bit hotter. I assume anything I got directly from PRS would be the newest ones?

Looking at the DC ratings the Tremonti neck is around 7.3k while the bridge is 15.4k. So am thinking that the 57/08 being listed at around 9.4k would be a little more consistent when switching between the two than it is currently.

I have read that newer 57/08 versions were a little bit hotter. I assume anything I got directly from PRS would be the newest ones?

Looking at the DC ratings the Tremonti neck is around 7.3k while the bridge is 15.4k. So am thinking that the 57/08 being listed at around 9.4k would be a little more consistent when switching between the two than it is currently.
If you buy a new pickup it should be the latest, slightly hotter version. It should mesh better when switching between it and the neck pickup. That is why I recommended it. I have a set of them in my 594 and love them. You may consider buying a set and swapping both pickups to the new 57/08s. I really like what they do.

If you buy a new pickup it should be the latest, slightly hotter version. It should mesh better when switching between it and the neck pickup. That is why I recommended it. I have a set of them in my 594 and love them. You may consider buying a set and swapping both pickups to the new 57/08s. I really like what they do.
I may end up going that route too and just doing both, especially while they're on sale right now! I do like the Tremonti bass pickup pretty good though, it does the ambient type stuff surprisingly well.

I bet the 57/08 sounds great in your 594 too! I tried 3 different styles of the 594's, 2 SC and 1 DC guitar. My favorite was an SC but I just couldn't get along with the pickups. They were incredible when played clean but I just found them lacking in the gain department for me, that and the neck profile wasn't a good fit for me, I'm a thinner neck guy, hence me owning a Tremonti now.

I may end up going that route too and just doing both, especially while they're on sale right now! I do like the Tremonti bass pickup pretty good though, it does the ambient type stuff surprisingly well.

I bet the 57/08 sounds great in your 594 too! I tried 3 different styles of the 594's, 2 SC and 1 DC guitar. My favorite was an SC but I just couldn't get along with the pickups. They were incredible when played clean but I just found them lacking in the gain department for me, that and the neck profile wasn't a good fit for me, I'm a thinner neck guy, hence me owning a Tremonti now.
I had a similar issue with the stock pickups in the 594. Due to the lower output they didn't drive my pedals and amp as much as my other guitars. My 594 has great interaction with drive now. I think that is one reason I keep reaching for it first.

I didn't know they had the 57/08s on sale. I just bought a Studio and am not too sure about the bridge pickup in it. It is the same thing they put in the 594. I know if I change it to a new 57/08, I will definitely like it. I may have to pick one up.

EDIT: I ordered a 57/08. I am betting it will end up in the new guitar. We shall see. If nothing else, I may put it in the bridge position of my CU22. That would be a good addition to that guitar. It has the older 57/08s in it.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with the stock pickups in the 594. Due to the lower output they didn't drive my pedals and amp as much as my other guitars. My 594 has great interaction with drive now. I think that is one reason I keep reaching for it first.

I didn't know they had the 57/08s on sale. I just bought a Studio and am not too sure about the bridge pickup in it. It is the same thing they put in the 594. I know if I change it to a new 57/08, I will definitely like it. I may have to pick one up.

EDIT: I ordered a 57/08. I am betting it will end up in the new guitar. We shall see. If nothing else, I may put it in the bridge position of my CU22. That would be a good addition to that guitar. It has the older 57/08s in it.
Well, I went ahead and ordered a Treble 57/08 as well, seems to be a pretty well liked pickup overall and I think it'll fit nicely with what I need to do. Now to figure out the wiring for it....

Well, I went ahead and ordered a Treble 57/08 as well, seems to be a pretty well liked pickup overall and I think it'll fit nicely with what I need to do. Now to figure out the wiring for it....
I have the color codes from when I did my 594. However, I think the pickup wires are different colors in the new guitar I bought so I sent PRS an email asking how to wire it to keep it in phase with the other pickups in the guitar. I checked the one in my 594 and I know that it will be magnetically in phase with the other pickups in the guitar and is also the same magnetic phase as the one that is in it. You could send PRS the question by email like I did, or, I can look up the information I have and pass it along to you.

The 57/08 is my favorite pickup with a Singlecut PRS. Sounds to me like a real-deal PAF oughta sound, and works well in a variety of situations.

But everyone seems to have a unique perspective on what the PAF tone should be, so YMMV.

Just to pass the information along, I heard back from PRS. The color codes on the new 57/08 bridge pickup is the same as the 58/15 LT that is in my Studio guitar. This will keep it in phase with the other pickups. I do know that if you put a set of 57/08s in a guitar you have to swap two wires on one of them, it doesn't matter which one. It seems PRS is possibly making it's current pickups out of phase beyond the 57/08s. I could test this theory by testing the 58/15LTs that I pulled out of my 594 if I think about it.

I'd like to stay PRS but would be open to others as well. I'm not really one to change pickups and all that so this is a little bit of new territory for me,
Bare Knuckle Black Dog
Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell
Suhr Aldrich
PRS \m/

I Have Had Success With All Of These In Single Cut Guitars.

Bare Knuckle Black Dog
Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell
Suhr Aldrich
PRS \m/

I Have Had Success With All Of These In Single Cut Guitars.
I have a set of the Aldrich pickups in a custom built Suhr. They don't come across as hot as people try to make them out to be. They are a bit more versatile than I expected them to be.

Just to pass the information along, I heard back from PRS. The color codes on the new 57/08 bridge pickup is the same as the 58/15 LT that is in my Studio guitar. This will keep it in phase with the other pickups. I do know that if you put a set of 57/08s in a guitar you have to swap two wires on one of them, it doesn't matter which one. It seems PRS is possibly making it's current pickups out of phase beyond the 57/08s. I could test this theory by testing the 58/15LTs that I pulled out of my 594 if I think about it.
Thanks for the good info. I do not plan on wiring up the coil split on mine so I am figuring that I will just tape off the Red? wire kind of like they are on the Tremonti pickup already? Should make wiring it up fairly simple. I'm going to verify that with PRS also. I'm still learning about in phase, out of phase and all that good stuff. Like I said, never been one to change pickups, at this point I am just eagerly waiting on the shipping email from PRS.

I do think the 57/08 in the bridge is going to be exactly what I am looking for based on what I have researched. I played my Tremonti 3 different times over the weekend and while it played incredible I do think that the less aggressive pickup will make it perfect for me.

Last edited:
As I'm in between heavy stuff and quality clean type of a player, I can't recommend the \m/ myself enough. The naming of the pickup line is somehow unfortunate, as they can do so much more. I will risk stating the Ms are my all-time fave PRS pickups. Perfectly fitting in the do-it-all scenario

As I'm in between heavy stuff and quality clean type of a player, I can't recommend the \m/ myself enough. The naming of the pickup line is somehow unfortunate, as they can do so much more. I will risk stating the Ms are my all-time fave PRS pickups. Perfectly fitting in the do-it-all scenario
I was actually watching a video of a guy comparing several different pickups. I was surprised at how good the \m/ sounded in comparison to the 57/08. I watched that particular section quite a few times. I had always thought the \m/ would be an aggressive, hot and just heavy pickup. Some what similar to the Tremonti that I am looking at replacing but it was actually way more versatile than I had initially thought. I do think the name and marketing on that one tends to make folks, like myself overlook it. Still looking forward to the 57/08, in the video I liked the way it sounded with big open chords a little bit more....time will tell.

Last edited:
Back