PRS 57/08 Treble in Tremonti or leave it alone?

I was actually watching a video of a guy comparing several different pickups. I was surprised at how good the \m/ sounded in comparison to the 57/08. I watched that particular section quite a few times. I had always thought the \m/ would be an aggressive, hot and just heavy pickup. Some what similar to the Tremonti that I am looking at replacing but it was actually way more versatile than I had initially thought. I do think the name and marketing on that one tends to make folks, like myself overlook it. Still looking forward to the 57/08, in the video I liked the way it sounded with big open chords a little bit more....time will tell.
Someone said M is Tremonti with a different magnet. I don't believe it personally, as IMO they are two completely different things sonically. M feels less gainy to Tremonti, it's WAY more articulated, and it sounds great, clean and overdriven. After I changed Tremonti Bridge / 59/09 Neck in my standard to square-bobbin Ms, the guitar woke up. I had it for sale, but now it's in frequent rotation. Give it a go, brother

I have read that newer 57/08 versions were a little bit hotter. I assume anything I got directly from PRS would be the newest ones?

Looking at the DC ratings the Tremonti neck is around 7.3k while the bridge is 15.4k. So am thinking that the 57/08 being listed at around 9.4k would be a little more consistent when switching between the two than it is currently.
Yes that’s true. I just ordered another new one from Paul reed smith accessories and they have discounted them to $170 each. My older 5708 bridge pick up that’s in my SC 58 only measures 8800 ohms, but it’s still very similar in its tone and punchyness. The only pick up that I’ve ever used (and God knows I’ve had enough humbuckers in my life to sink a ship) that really works as well for heavier tones, as well as lighter clean tones. I did try a Tremonti bridge about six months ago, and it was just way too over the top. Truly nothing of what I really wanted in a humbucker.

Someone said M is Tremonti with a different magnet. I don't believe it personally, as IMO they are two completely different things sonically. M feels less gainy to Tremonti, it's WAY more articulated, and it sounds great, clean and overdriven. After I changed Tremonti Bridge / 59/09 Neck in my standard to square-bobbin Ms, the guitar woke up. I had it for sale, but now it's in frequent rotation. Give it a go, brother
A "pickup builder" for PRS said they are the same but a different magnet sauce. I read some where the Tremonti is 3 magnets. I'm not alone when I say I personally feel the Tremonti is very versatile and a huge fan. Responds well to knob adjustments, like an entirely different pickup. Rather the two are the same I wouldn't know for sure. The readings are the same and magnets do change the character of a pickup. Also, PRS does use the same pickup and/or changed magnets and tweaks with a different name quite frequently.

There's also pole adjustments. It amazes me how much this can change a pickup. Not too long back I picked up a used covered 5909 and it sounded nothing at all like my uncovered 5909, way more than a cover or different guitars would alter. After hours and hours of pole adjustments they now sound very similar, like you'd expect from a cover or different guitars.

Screenshot_20231101_000045_Redditd93944f68db1f613.jpg

A "pickup builder" for PRS said they are the same but a different magnet sauce. I read some where the Tremonti is 3 magnets. I'm not alone when I say I personally feel the Tremonti is very versatile and a huge fan. Responds well to knob adjustments, like an entirely different pickup. Rather the two are the same I wouldn't know for sure. The readings are the same and magnets do change the character of a pickup. Also, PRS does use the same pickup and/or changed magnets and tweaks with a different name quite frequently.

There's also pole adjustments. It amazes me how much this can change a pickup. Not too long back I picked up a used covered 5909 and it sounded nothing at all like my uncovered 5909, way more than a cover or different guitars would alter. After hours and hours of pole adjustments they now sound very similar, like you'd expect from a cover or different guitars.

I'm not arguing, I'm just saying they feel and sound nothing alike. I like Mark's solo stuff a lot, and I feel bad for saying this, but I didn't gel with his pickup. The M, though, exceeded my expectation

I'm not arguing, I'm just saying they feel and sound nothing alike. I like Mark's solo stuff a lot, and I feel bad for saying this, but I didn't gel with his pickup. The M, though, exceeded my expectation
I didnt intend to come off as arguing either if I did. Funny, the Tremonti exceeded my expectations.. But it's also in a Tremonti. No clue what it would sound like in another guitar.

Last edited:

I would really liked to have seen an answer to the question at the bottom of that screenshot.

Got the 57/08 in yesterday. Hopefully going to get it wired up this evening.

From what I can tell from the factory it's wired as Black=Hot, Red=Coil Tap (will be taped off and not used), White & Shielded=Ground.

In my recent learning about pickups being in and out of phase should I switch the Black and White initially or try to wire it as is first? Since I'm not using the coil tap the Tremonti is a fairly straight forward and simple wiring.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this but if they are out of phase the middle position will sound super thin and crappy with low volume....if that were to be the case I would just need to switch the Hot and Ground wires around to solve it? Then they would be in phase and sound normal in the middle position?

For reference the Tremonti pickup is Black=Hot, Red & Green(Coil-Tap, taped together, not used), White & Shielded=Ground.

Got the 57/08 in yesterday. Hopefully going to get it wired up this evening.

From what I can tell from the factory it's wired as Black=Hot, Red=Coil Tap (will be taped off and not used), White & Shielded=Ground.

In my recent learning about pickups being in and out of phase should I switch the Black and White initially or try to wire it as is first? Since I'm not using the coil tap the Tremonti is a fairly straight forward and simple wiring.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this but if they are out of phase the middle position will sound super thin and crappy with low volume....if that were to be the case I would just need to switch the Hot and Ground wires around to solve it? Then they would be in phase and sound normal in the middle position?

For reference the Tremonti pickup is Black=Hot, Red & Green(Coil-Tap, taped together, not used), White & Shielded=Ground.
You have it correct. If you have a good way to test the magnetic phase before you wire them up you will know witch wire needs to go to hot. If they are magnetically in phase, you wire it the way you said. If they are out of phase, you make the adjustment you mentioned and flip the wires.

You have it correct. If you have a good way to test the magnetic phase before you wire them up you will know witch wire needs to go to hot. If they are magnetically in phase, you wire it the way you said. If they are out of phase, you make the adjustment you mentioned and flip the wires.
Good deal. I don't currently have a multi meter or anything to test that out.

I had read somewhere about holding the new 57/08 pickup up against the Tremonti neck pickup that is staying in the guitar face to face and if they were magnetically attracted to each other they were out of phase? and if they resisted each other they were in phase? One way or the other, I can't remember exactly which way it said was which. But I'm not 100% sure on that method either, seems like I only read that in one place.

The good thing is it'll only be 2 wires and I would be able to tell pretty much immediately if they were in or out of phase.

Last edited:
Good deal. I don't currently have a multi meter or anything to test that out.

I had read somewhere about holding the new 57/08 pickup up against the Tremonti neck pickup that is staying in the guitar face to face and if they were magnetically attracted to each other they were out of phase? and if they resisted each other they were in phase? One way or the other, I can't remember exactly which way it said was which. But I'm not 100% sure on that method either, seems like I only read that in one place.

The good thing is it'll only be 2 wires and I would be able to tell pretty much immediately if they were in or out of phase.
Yep, you can check it that way. I tried that and I got it wrong. I ended up buying a little tool that you can use to quickly tell. I work on guitars enough that I will use it so I was willing to drop the money on it. It just makes things easier for me.

Yep, you can check it that way. I tried that and I got it wrong. I ended up buying a little tool that you can use to quickly tell. I work on guitars enough that I will use it so I was willing to drop the money on it. It just makes things easier for me.
Hopefully I don't plan on many more pickup changes after this one.

So if I hold the 57/08 facing the Tremonti neck with the poles on the 57/08 being towards the bottom of the guitar, like they would be once the pickup is installed, there is a pretty strong magnetic pull or attraction between them, to the point that the 57/08 will almost clasp itself to the Tremonti even with the strings still on. So would that mean they are out of phase and I should just swap my ground and hot wire right out of the gate when wiring it up?

Hopefully I don't plan on many more pickup changes after this one.

So if I hold the 57/08 facing the Tremonti neck with the poles on the 57/08 being towards the bottom of the guitar, like they would be once the pickup is installed, there is a pretty strong magnetic pull or attraction between them, to the point that the 57/08 will almost clasp itself to the Tremonti even with the strings still on. So would that mean they are out of phase and I should just swap my ground and hot wire right out of the gate when wiring it up?
If I am following you, you are putting screw pole to screw pole on the two pickups, correct? If that is a yes, then they are out of phase with each other and you would need to flip the wires when you solder them in.

@Lewguitar you agree?

If I am following you, you are putting screw pole to screw pole on the two pickups, correct? If that is a yes, then they are out of phase with each other and you would need to flip the wires when you solder them in.

@Lewguitar you agree?
Actually when I put them screw pole to screw pole nothing really happens, no attraction or resistance either way. But if I turn one of them 180 degrees where the screw poles are opposite each other and at the flat part or bottom of each pickup, that's when they will pull together. That's a hard thing to describe when typing it out........

Actually when I put them screw pole to screw pole nothing really happens, no attraction or resistance either way. But if I turn one of them 180 degrees where the screw poles are opposite each other and at the flat part or bottom of each pickup, that's when they will pull together. That's a hard thing to describe when typing it out........
If you are holding them with the screw poles on opposite sides and they are attracting, they are in phase. Or better yet to say, the phase of the pickups match. You should be able to wire it in like the original was, or like your original post stated, no need to flip the wires.

That's odd. Are these covered or uncovered pickups?

They're covered. Tremonti Neck and a 57/08 Bridge.
Can you do me a favor? Do you have an ohms meter handy? I am wondering what the resistance of your new 57/08 pickup reads. Mine showed up today and I did a quick measurement on it and it is pretty low. Mine measures out at 8.32k. I sent PRS an email letting them know this is quite a bit less than advertised on the website and asked if it is normal to get one this far from spec. The measurement on this one is lower than my 2 wire versions from years ago. In fact, it is the lowest measuring 57/08 out of the 7 sets I have. It is more than the 58/15 LT that is in my guitar right now but still way less than what I expected.

Back