PRS 57/08 Treble in Tremonti or leave it alone?

My pickup should get delivered to PRS tomorrow. I expect they will have a new one out to me within a day or so. They are going to measure it to make sure it is within spec before they send it out.
That’s great! Hopefully they can find you one thats hotter than the one you got. I’m wondering if I should have tried the same thing in swapping but mine was technically within the +/- .4k variance so not sure how that would have worked out.

Still getting used to the 57/08 and liking it overall. However, there are some things I miss about the Tremonti pickup and some things I don’t miss as well, I knew the trade offs I was making in swapping so not really a surprise either. The big tell for me will be how it sits in the mix with the whole band which I expect it to do well.

That’s great! Hopefully they can find you one thats hotter than the one you got. I’m wondering if I should have tried the same thing in swapping but mine was technically within the +/- .4k variance so not sure how that would have worked out.

Still getting used to the 57/08 and liking it overall. However, there are some things I miss about the Tremonti pickup and some things I don’t miss as well, I knew the trade offs I was making in swapping so not really a surprise either. The big tell for me will be how it sits in the mix with the whole band which I expect it to do well.
I absolutely love these pickups in every guitar I have them in. They transformed my 594 into something much better and useful than it was with the stock pickups in it. The only other guitar I have that had this drastic of a change for the good with a pickup change is my CU22 and it has the older 57/08s in it.

I absolutely love these pickups in every guitar I have them in. They transformed my 594 into something much better and useful than it was with the stock pickups in it. The only other guitar I have that had this drastic of a change for the good with a pickup change is my CU22 and it has the older 57/08s in it.
I definitely prefer the 57/08 over the stock 594 pickups too. I tried 2 singlecut 594 models before going back with the Tremonti and wasn’t crazy about the pickups in either 594 to be honest. One was a ‘21 model that had the 58/15LT and the other was a ‘23 that had the 58/15LT+, I couldn’t tell a huge difference between them but I wasn’t wild about either one, especially in the bridge position, I could probably be ok with one in the neck.

I definitely prefer the 57/08 over the stock 594 pickups too. I tried 2 singlecut 594 models before going back with the Tremonti and wasn’t crazy about the pickups in either 594 to be honest. One was a ‘21 model that had the 58/15LT and the other was a ‘23 that had the 58/15LT+, I couldn’t tell a huge difference between them but I wasn’t wild about either one, especially in the bridge position, I could probably be ok with one in the neck.
The 57/08s I put in my 594 are a hot set compared to my others. The only other set I have that is in the ballpark is the set that came in my P22 Trem.

Here is what the ones in my 594 measure out at.
Neck 8.58k
Bridge 9.27k

Here are the stock uncovered 57/08 squabbins in my P22.
Neck 8.37k
Bridge 9.19k

These two sets of pickups definitely sound a bit different than my others. They have a little more grunt to them and I like it.

The 57/08s I put in my 594 are a hot set compared to my others. The only other set I have that is in the ballpark is the set that came in my P22 Trem.

Here is what the ones in my 594 measure out at.
Neck 8.58k
Bridge 9.27k

Here are the stock uncovered 57/08 squabbins in my P22.
Neck 8.37k
Bridge 9.19k

These two sets of pickups definitely sound a bit different than my others. They have a little more grunt to them and I like it.
It's interesting how there's such a difference in how these pickups measure based on their age and what they are producing now. I was hoping to get close to what you have in your 594 but I still have a nice difference in readings between my neck and bridge pickups, just lower.

Tremonti Neck 7.42k
57/08 Bridge 8.79k

I know the Tremonti bridge is a pretty bass heavy pickup by design and I think that is messing with my ears a little as I play and get used to the 57/08. At times the 57/08 sounds really bright and almost thin, like I am only hearing the G, B and E strings. I know that's not the case I just think my ear has played the Tremonti so long and is used to it so much that I start trying to hear that full bassy, percussive sound. I'm still messing around with the pickup heights to get them to where I like it too, I also wonder if the longer scale length of my Tremonti guitar is making the 57/08 a touch brighter as well?...

It's interesting how there's such a difference in how these pickups measure based on their age and what they are producing now. I was hoping to get close to what you have in your 594 but I still have a nice difference in readings between my neck and bridge pickups, just lower.

Tremonti Neck 7.42k
57/08 Bridge 8.79k

I know the Tremonti bridge is a pretty bass heavy pickup by design and I think that is messing with my ears a little as I play and get used to the 57/08. At times the 57/08 sounds really bright and almost thin, like I am only hearing the G, B and E strings. I know that's not the case I just think my ear has played the Tremonti so long and is used to it so much that I start trying to hear that full bassy, percussive sound. I'm still messing around with the pickup heights to get them to where I like it too, I also wonder if the longer scale length of my Tremonti guitar is making the 57/08 a touch brighter as well?...
The scale length should have a little effect on it. I would expect it to be somewhere in between the difference between a Strat and a Les Paul. You can also just raise the bass side of the pickup and possibly lower the treble side to even it out a bit. The 57/08 pickups respond well to height adjustments. You can also raise the pole screws a little on the heavier strings if needed. You may be able to get it where you want it with some small adjustments over a few playing sessions.

The scale length should have a little effect on it. I would expect it to be somewhere in between the difference between a Strat and a Les Paul. You can also just raise the bass side of the pickup and possibly lower the treble side to even it out a bit. The 57/08 pickups respond well to height adjustments. You can also raise the pole screws a little on the heavier strings if needed. You may be able to get it where you want it with some small adjustments over a few playing sessions.
That is exactly what I have been doing, just making small adjustments here and there to see what I like. The 57/08's are very responsive to even small height adjustments so I think I'll get it dialed in.

Unfortunately, we still have not been able to have a full band practice yet, there's so much sickness going around right now and it's been hard to get together, even the past few weeks at church have been scaled back acoustic/piano sets, which has still been great!

Last edited:
Back