Mira vs. Mira SH

markd21

Just woke up from an AMAZING gig last night where we opened for death metal masters, Obituary. The crowd was awesome and they were TOTALLY digging the S2 Singlecut Standard!! That guitar is just SOOOOO flipping amazing in every way, lol...

Couple shots of the beauty in action...

Fun and sharing aside, let me get to the actual point, lol!!!

I have an itch for a Mira. The question for me is, how does the Mira SH handle high volume, higher gain situations? Is it a feedback machine? How much is the tone affected by the SH nature? I go back and forth with semi's - I ended up selling the gold, solid top CU22SH because I thought it was too muddy in the band situation.....

I REALLY dig the idea of the Mira SH, but I like my guitars to sound clear and precise onstage. I DO enjoy them for recording, and will often use a Gretsch Duo-Jet in the studio - but that sucker has LOW output pickups...I think that's what killed the CU22SH for me - the Dragon IIs with a semi-hollow design (don't really know for sure).

I have never had the chance to play a Mira. I assume that it's typically PRS awesome, but any info that can be provided in comparison to the solid vs. SH Mira would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, all!!

Congrats opening for OBITUARY! Awesome!

I use my HB Spruce for the heavy stuff. No problems.
I do have my Boss NS-2 cranked up, though.

My amps do the "heavy lifting" for me. I like lower output pickups and using just the amp for all of my gain.

I'll echo the congrats on opening for Obituary. That's pretty cool! No experience with the SH Mira, but I've played a couple of the core solids. Seriously fun guitar that rawks hard! Maybe a little similarity to an SG

I'll echo the congrats on opening for Obituary. That's pretty cool! No experience with the SH Mira, but I've played a couple of the core solids. Seriously fun guitar that rawks hard! Maybe a little similarity to an SG
Ditto, never played a SH, but still kicking myself for not buying the core flamed top one my friends store had on sale a couple years ago. Loved that guitar!

Congrats opening for OBITUARY! Awesome!

I use my HB Spruce for the heavy stuff. No problems.
I do have my Boss NS-2 cranked up, though.

My amps do the "heavy lifting" for me. I like lower output pickups and using just the amp for all of my gain.

Cool. Right there with you - the amp does the work. The hottest pickups for me would still be medium output....if that!

I am guessing the SH Mira (any of the S2s) is still not even as hollow as a 335? That's my concern - I attempted to use a 335 on a high volume show once and it was a NIGHTMARE.....that's what I am aiming to avoid.

Cool. Right there with you - the amp does the work. The hottest pickups for me would still be medium output....if that!

I am guessing the SH Mira (any of the S2s) is still not even as hollow as a 335? That's my concern - I attempted to use a 335 on a high volume show once and it was a NIGHTMARE.....that's what I am aiming to avoid.

I think you'd be safe with either.

I am guessing the SH Mira (any of the S2s) is still not even as hollow as a 335?
Yes, that is correct. The ES-335 is more hollow than most PRS semi-hollow guitars, since all it has is the center block, whereas most PRS semi-hollow have hollowed-out compartments in what is otherwise a solid body.

As to whether or not that will feed back, I think you should just try it and see.

The Zach Myer sig is semi-hollow, and I understand he plays hard music, so I would think there aren't feedback issues in that one.

Look at the 24 fret Mira, it's a hard rocking guitar. I liked the pickups so much I put them in an SE Tremonti Custom.

I find the lows to be less punchy, more airy and I wouldn't say undefined, but not agressive, on a semi hollow PRS, so if your style is riffy on the wound strings, I would go for the solid body. I think of it as, if I want a guitar to sit in a mix, rather than sit on it and be the driving factor, I reach for a semi hollow.

That being said, the PRS semi hollows are righteous instruments when used in the right context! Feedback isn't a huge issue on mine.

I find the lows to be less punchy, more airy and I wouldn't say undefined, but not agressive, on a semi hollow PRS, so if your style is riffy on the wound strings, I would go for the solid body. I think of it as, if I want a guitar to sit in a mix, rather than sit on it and be the driving factor, I reach for a semi hollow.

That being said, the PRS semi hollows are righteous instruments when used in the right context! Feedback isn't a huge issue on mine.

Perfect!!! Exactly what I needed to know!

Back