Long legged humbucker for PRS Mira Core

huguillo

Hi!

I think it’s my first message here although I read, and learn, a lot around here for a long time.

I have a question for all the tinkerers in here. I’ve just bought a second hand core Mira and, as I expected, I love the guitar but I found the little pickups a little too hot for my taste. I’m looking for some kind of P.A.F. pickups but I don’t know if long legged pickups will fit, as the Mira body is super thin.

Have any of you fit long legged pickups in a core Mira?

Thanks!!
Regards from Spain!

Hi!

I think it’s my first message here although I read, and learn, a lot around here for a long time.

I have a question for all the tinkerers in here. I’ve just bought a second hand core Mira and, as I expected, I love the guitar but I found the little pickups a little too hot for my taste. I’m looking for some kind of P.A.F. pickups but I don’t know if long legged pickups will fit, as the Mira body is super thin.

Have any of you fit long legged pickups in a core Mira?

Thanks!!
Regards from Spain!
You might want to check pickup height first. I lowered them on my Mira and that helped a lot. I really liked the Mira pickups.

Mira + 57/08’s or 59/09’s is a great combo!

UQx1Z5c.jpg

FAvjaDL.jpg

yt1rFoN.jpg

You might want to check pickup height first. I lowered them on my Mira and that helped a lot. I really liked the Mira pickups.
To be honest Mira pickups sound better in guitars other than a Mira for me , I had Miras in my KL33 and my Mira bth those guitars moved on. My DGT that had Mira pickups was killer and the SCT that I have the Miras in now is super !!!! Thicker , Darker guitar get a set of Mira pickups !!!!

To be honest Mira pickups sound better in guitars other than a Mira for me , I had Miras in my KL33 and my Mira bth those guitars moved on. My DGT that had Mira pickups was killer and the SCT that I have the Miras in now is super !!!! Thicker , Darker guitar get a set of Mira pickups !!!!
I couldn't get with the Miras in my KL33 either. Loved everything else about it, besides the pickups. Went through TONS of pups. Now it has 5815LT and covered 5909 and that guitar will never go anywhere. Sound amazing!

To answer OP question, most older PRS need short leg pickups. I've managed longer legs before, but short would have been better. I have drilled out a little wood as well for the feet to get it just right in one. Newer PRS are supposedly okay with long legs, and se I've used long legs without issue before I knew about short leg for PRS.

I’ll try it for sure but I haven’t have the time yet. The guitar arrived yesterday, I cleaned it a little, change the strings and plugged it in to try it. I don’t think the pickups sound bad, in fact they sound great with gain, but as I play now I prefer to add gain when needed that having a too hot starting point.

Mira + 57/08’s or 59/09’s is a great combo!
57/08s were on my radar but 400€, or 500€ the 58/15 LTs, is almost half of what I’ve paid for the guitar. I know they are great but for now I think I’m going to explore cheaper options

To answer OP question, most older PRS need short leg pickups. I've managed longer legs before, but short would have been better. I have drilled out a little wood as well for the feet to get it just right in one. Newer PRS are supposedly okay with long legs, and se I've used long legs without issue before I knew about short leg for PRS.
I had to do some woodworking (is a polite way to say it ) on my OG Santana SE back in the day to fit a set of Duncans and it’s something I want to avoid with this one as I don’t want to do any non reversible modification and keep it

Thanks all for your replies!

57/08s were on my radar but 400€, or 500€ the 58/15 LTs, is almost half of what I’ve paid for the guitar. I know they are great but for now I think I’m going to explore cheaper options
Check out wolfetone. Great option and he'll do short leg for you of you ask. My favorite combo is DrV in the neck and Marshallhead in the bridge. The Dr Vintage in the bridge is solid in my SG too.

One more suggestion; keep the tone control down around 7. The original Mira’s were a very bright guitar. I have heard of some owners throwing the kitchen sink pickups wise at them and never being happy with any of them. An EQ pedal might be a cheaper solution. Some have really liked McCarty or DGT pickups in them. I thought the Mira made a great higher gain sound, but that doesn’t sound like what you’re after.

One more suggestion; keep the tone control down around 7.
Excellent advice.. it surprises me how many people don't use the guitar knobs but will do everything else. I find 7 is a great sweet spot for tone on several guitars adjusting occasionally as needed for whatever situation. More so with the volume, I'm a 7 or so default guy, frequently twisting up and down from there all the time.

To be honest, I got a little distracted and went daydreaming on the "long-legged" part...

Okay, I'm back. To my knowledge, the only popular aftermarket humbuckers with which you need to be concerned about long legs are the Duncan '59 model, Antiquity, and Seth Lover. I've actually recently put a '59 Model in the neck position of my PRS SE Santana (one of the earlier ones) and it fit fine, without even the hint of an issue. [I don't know if that helps, it's not a Mira technically.]

But if I may suggest, if you want some lower-output great-sounding pickups for a Mira, I'd suggest the PRS 57/08 set, or from the Seymour Duncan line the Alnico II Pro or Pearly Gates humbuckers would be excellent, too.

To be honest, I got a little distracted and went daydreaming on the "long-legged" part...
Long legs use to cause that effect :)

To my knowledge, the only popular aftermarket humbuckers with which you need to be concerned about long legs are the Duncan '59 model, Antiquity, and Seth Lover.
The 59's were the ones I needed a file to cause some internal carnage to fit in my OG Santana SE. Seth Lovers are on my radar as I have a second hand set located nerby at a reasonable price. The other set I was thinking about are the mojotone 59 clones, reasonable priced new and I've read only good things about them but both of them have long legs.

57/08 are exactly double the price of those two, I know they fit... I know they're good... I know too that my wallet is giving me that oh no look right now...

thanks for the info!

57/08 are exactly double the price of those two, I know they fit... I know they're good... I know too that my wallet is giving me that oh no look right now...
Also, I should point out that it's my personal opinion/estimation that the SD Pearly Gates are good quality and very close surrogates for the more expensive 57/08 set--plus you've got your choice of various covers vs. no covers vs. black/zebra/whatever you want. Just wanted to add that.

Back