Core Mira?

aamefford

The (should be) Committed
So this is for sale locally, and it kinda struck my fancy. It seems a bit pricy at a bit over $1,500. It’s a 2008 Core Mira in vintage cherry per the ad. I don’t know a lot about Miras, I’d like a stoptail dual humbucker guitar, and I’m kinda leaning to the LP/594/245 scale length. The bridge doesn’t look like others I’ve seen in photos of 2008 core Mira’s. They all look fixed, and this looks adjustable? Is it stock? Would you fine folks like to send me to Mira School?

y59rnk3.jpg

I don't think the price is horrible - it's around the original list price, maybe a bit north depending on the dealer. They weren't around a long time, so they aren't exactly plentiful. If the condition is solid, I think it's pretty fair.

It's a thinner body than the LP/594, so you may not get the low-end that you would out of the others, if that matters to you. It got compared to the SG a lot, mostly because of the shape. I can't comment on how the tone compares to the SG - never had one. I like mine - haven't had it out in a while, but I have a feeling that's going to change now.

It’s a stoptail and a core only slightly out of my price range. My other is an S2 Studio built new in ‘21, sort of an anomaly. I find I’m digging the more simple finishes, and I’m finding that I like the looks of single cuts, but the feel of double cuts. Not the high fret access is a big deal to me - I’m a quite mature beginner. I actually like the idea of a thinner and lighter guitar. Bad shoulders….

If I lived in the East Bay, I'd have already had a look at it since that's a low price for a set neck core even though it's not quite what I'm looking for: single cut, 22 frets, <= 24.594". I've been assuming that it's a 25" scale and it is 24 frets if that makes any difference for the neck pickup placement.

Sounds like it's pretty close to what you're looking for and likely worth checking out to see if it speaks to you!

I have one and love it, enough that I let go of some other guitars and haven't seriously guitar shopped since getting it. It's the only PRS I've owned, and I've never owned an SG or Les Paul (but did have a Hamer Artist), so I don't have a lot to compare it to.

The bridge on that one does look different than mine.

My Mira plays beautifully, is very light and comfortable, and quite versatile. The pickups are brighter and snappier (but thinner) that the Duncan Seth Lovers in the Hamer, but the tone control can darken and mellow them out when desired. Using the controls that way is akin to my Tele. The Mira also has a pretty good coil split.

While I preferred the depth of tone of the Hamer (and the snarl of a G&L with P90s I had), I played the Mira much better. I also play the Mira longer and often try out different ideas with it, so it's inspiring.

The 25" scale length works well for me, but I'm mostly used to 25.5" scale guitars. I switch between them and the Mira without issue. I don't seem to get on as well with 24.75" scale guitars, though.

Mild criticisms are that the 24-fret-neck moves the neck pickup away from the octave sweet spot, and not having independent volume controls (which I did like about the Hamer).

And while it's my lightest guitar, it's paired with my heaviest case. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

As for price, I believe discussing that is frowned upon here, but I bought mine during a time when the Mira used seemed forgotten and unloved, and it has some wear, so it was considerably less. Still, if I had to re-buy, I don't know of many guitars in that range I'd pick over it. A CE-22 (or 24) would make for a difficult decision, but that's about it.

Here's a "shelfie" of mine.
aIMfNxh.jpg

GC used has one of the early Limited Edition ones for that price. That’s at the high-end of used Core Mira pricing. There are some listed on CL from $1,050 to $1,200. I saw one go for under $1,000 the other day.

Core Miras (not the derivatives, like the X, etc) had a few options. Birds or moons, Regular or Wide-Thin neck, maple top or all mahogany, and standard or gold hardware. I’ve had both the maple top and the all mahogany, and my ears couldn’t tell the difference.

I really enjoy mine. It’s comfortable, simple, and sounds great. I’d suggest buying one intentionally, choosing the neck profile you want. The Regular necks aren’t as common, but they’re out there.

Oh, and the one you found doesn’t have the stock bridge. That’s an adjustable.

GC used has one of the early Limited Edition ones for that price. That’s at the high-end of used Core Mira pricing. There are some listed on CL from $1,050 to $1,200. I saw one go for under $1,000 the other day.

Core Miras (not the derivatives, like the X, etc) had a few options. Birds or moons, Regular or Wide-Thin neck, maple top or all mahogany, and standard or gold hardware. I’ve had both the maple top and the all mahogany, and my ears couldn’t tell the difference.

I really enjoy mine. It’s comfortable, simple, and sounds great. I’d suggest buying one intentionally, choosing the neck profile you want. The Regular necks aren’t as common, but they’re out there.

Oh, and the one you found doesn’t have the stock bridge. That’s an adjustable.
Thanks for the answer on the bridge, and thanks to all for chiming in. I think the one I spotted is probably a bit overpriced for the condition, or not. It’s 15 years old, some rash on the headstock and a couple blemishes on the body are probably reasonable. Reverb and GC seems to have similar at less cost.

I tend to like the regular or pattern neck better than the thin. Makes sense to look with purpose.

Back