NGD: 2003 McCarty, 10 top in black cherry

StSpider

It's funny to think about the fact that in 2021 I had no PRS guitars and had hardly ever played one. It's now 2023 and I have 3.

After my 91/92 alder bodied CE and my 2017 Custom 24, I really wanted the "other" iconic PRS, aka the McCarty.

I also wanted a PRS that I could downtune easily (aka stoptail) and one that wasn't a case queen so that it wouldn't give me much anxiety if it managed to catch an extra ding or two. I plan to gig this guitar quite a lot.

So here comes the new girl:

jSigsLB.jpg

VHTNwLL.jpg

If you look closely at the photos you can kinda see the little battle scars that it has gathered over 20 years. Still, it's reasonably clean and presents itself quite nicely I think! Some parts have obviously been changed (knobs, pickup rings, selector tip and also the nut has been swapped for a bone one) but all the original pieces were included, which is nice. I am partial to black pickup rings myself, tho I'll probably end up installing PRS originals because these ones end up tilting the neck pickup to a considerable degree.

Electronics are bone stock and don't look like they've ever been altered. I find the old McCarty pickups to be nice, definitely fat sounding but also clear. They seem to shine in a mix rather than in isolation. I do feel like modern numbered pickups are a step above, but for now there is no plan to swap these out.

The top is gorgeous, in my opinion, my only gripe is that it's the same black cherry color as my Custom 24, tho I have to say the McCarty has a better looking top (despite the CU24 also being a 10 top) and the red is a bit brighter, making the figuring pop more.

The Wide fat neck is very comfortable (all PRS necks are comfortable to me tbh, for 30 years I thought I was picky about necks, turns out some companies just can't make them right), altough the modern regular neck is, again, a cut above.

Overall, it's interesting to see the evolution of PRS guitars now that I have one for each main "era": an early 90s CE with the rotary switch, this McCarty from the early 2000s and a failry recent Custom 24. I can appreciate the evolution these guitars - rather objectively I'd say - have made, but also don't mind the quirks and ingenuity of the earlier days.

Anyway, can't way to gig this girl tonight. Have a nice day you all.

That's a great looking one!

I think you're right staying with the black rings. I did look at my McCarty (it's about 6 years older than yours) and the factory rings will still tilt the pickups about the same as what I can tell from your pictures.

I'm probably also in the minority here not liking the lampshade knobs but from experience, I find the old speed knobs easier to operate the push pull.

Hope it performs well on the gig!

I think you're right staying with the black rings. I did look at my McCarty (it's about 6 years older than yours) and the factory rings will still tilt the pickups about the same as what I can tell from your pictures.

I'm probably also in the minority here not liking the lampshade knobs but from experience, I find the old speed knobs easier to operate the push pull.

Hope it performs well on the gig!
I do plan to put black speedknobs in eventually! Tho the pictures make the tilt look less prominent. The bridge pickup is perfectly parallel to the strings, but the neck pickup has the slug side higher than the screw side by quite a bit. I'll post a photo later.

Last edited:
It's funny to think about the fact that in 2021 I had no PRS guitars and had hardly ever played one. It's now 2023 and I have 3.

After my 91/92 alder bodied CE and my 2017 Custom 24, I really wanted the "other" iconic PRS, aka the McCarty.

I also wanted a PRS that I could downtune easily (aka stoptail) and one that wasn't a case queen so that it wouldn't give me much anxiety if it managed to catch an extra ding or two. I plan to gig this guitar quite a lot.

jSigsLB.jpg

VHTNwLL.jpg

If you look closely at the photos you can kinda see the little battle scars that it has gathered over 20 years. Still, it's reasonably clean and presents itself quite nicely I think! Some parts have obviously been changed (knobs, pickup rings, selector tip and also the nut has been swapped for a bone one) but all the original pieces were included, which is nice. I am partial to black pickup rings myself, tho I'll probably end up installing PRS originals because these ones end up tilting the neck pickup to a considerable degree.

Electronics are bone stock and don't look like they've ever been altered. I find the old McCarty pickups to be nice, definitely fat sounding but also clear. They seem to shine in a mix rather than in isolation. I do feel like modern numbered pickups are a step above, but for now there is no plan to swap these out.

The top is gorgeous, in my opinion, my only gripe is that it's the same black cherry color as my Custom 24, tho I have to say the McCarty has a better looking top (despite the CU24 also being a 10 top) and the red is a bit brighter, making the figuring pop more.

The Wide fat neck is very comfortable (all PRS necks are comfortable to me tbh, for 30 years I thought I was picky about necks, turns out some companies just can't make them right), altough the modern regular neck is, again, a cut above.

Overall, it's interesting to see the evolution of PRS guitars now that I have one for each main "era": an early 90s CE with the rotary switch, this McCarty from the early 2000s and a failry recent Custom 24. I can appreciate the evolution these guitars - rather objectively I'd say - have made, but also don't mind the quirks and ingenuity of the earlier days.

$weetne$$!!!

Incidentally, if you ever see a tremolo model you love, install a EVH TremEndus and tighten the backspring knob all the way and you'll have a dive only tremolo where you can pop a string or have zero problems tuning down lower.

@jak3af3r here’s a shot of the neck pickup tilt. In person it looks more dramatic (or maybe I’m being dramatic lol).

I should've taken a picture this morning of mine but I think the angle is similar to yours and as far as I know, mine has the original rings.

I think my Hollowbody I may also have some angle that's not completely parallel to the strings too but I'd have to look.

I think you're right staying with the black rings.
I'll second both of those! I switched my S2 594 SC to black from cream because it's also dark red. One thing I like about the PRS rings is that the adjustment screw is recessed so it isn't sticking up in the middle of the ring.
Enjoy!

That things sweet man, PRS has that floating stand which is nitro friendly and lets you display your main player if you'd like it to stand out from the guitars on the rack plus it's still accessible, sometimes my case kept guitars don't get the love the deserve due to convenience.. Anyway that McCarty would look deadly hanging on one.

I think you'll love the ease of use the stoptail brings. Anyway I hope it brings you immense joy in your playing. Next up maybe a Paul's guitar? They're pretty amazing.

yeah I do love wraparound bridges, I’ve been playing an oxblood, jeff beck style les paul for 15 years lol. I have to say the grooves on the prs tailpiece make everything a tiny bit easier, it’s super comfortable.

As for next I hope I manage to lay low for a bit lmao. I do love the Paul’s guitars tho or maybe a DGT.

So, anyway, I gigged the McCarty yesterday. Took me some tries but I did manage to dial in a really nice tone on the bridge - which for the type of gig was the most important thing - both in full humbucker and split. Went home way past midnight and spent an hour or so tweaking the neck pickup striving for the same level of satisfaction. I did lose some sleep and I have some work to do this morning, but damn I had fun with it.

These guitars, they just work.

Last edited:

jSigsLB.jpg

VHTNwLL.jpg

Nice

Back