SE Paul’s Guitar Issues

It came with heavy metal buttons. My luthier is well trained, talented, and very observant. He told me to try that as a first step. He felt the guitar was out of balance sonically. He’s also a guitar player and former factory employee.
Some people do hear and sense a difference in the sound of a guitar with lighter or heavier tuners.

Those people might have a preference for one or the other.

All a matter of taste.

It became fashionable in the 60's and 70's to swap out Klusons for heavier Grovers.

Now it's fashionable to use lighter Klusons.

I have had a SE Pauls guitar since they first came out a couple years ago. Mine came well set-up and had zero cosmetic, mechanical or electrical flaws. The only work I have done to it has been periodic cleaning and polishing, strung changes and one minor truss-rod adjustment since I have owned it. It is a great guitar, especially given its low coat.

Back in the day I was thinking the same way, and looked and looked and got a used Paul's Guitar (not the SE version) and love it. It was more than I wanted to spend, but I didnt think the step down to the SE was worth the money

Back in the day I was thinking the same way, and looked and looked and got a used Paul's Guitar (not the SE version) and love it. It was more than I wanted to spend, but I didnt think the step down to the SE was worth the money
i have both the Core Paul’s Guitar and the SE Paul’s Guitar. I bought the SE version for use I live gigs (due to potential theft issues” and the Core version for studio use. Both guitars are great. The SE is certainly somewhat different in various ways, but not different enough that I would risk a $4,500 guitar instead of a $700 guitar.

Move on to different guitars. You just gave a list of reasons you don’t want either guitar. There are plenty of guitars in that price range that don’t have issues like what you listed. Keep shopping.

Move on to different guitars. You just gave a list of reasons you don’t want either guitar. There are plenty of guitars in that price range that don’t have issues like what you listed. Keep shopping.
Nah. If you're a beginner - intermediate player and don't know how to properly set up a guitar, just make the dealer do his or her job and do a proper setup if you can't do it yourself.

That's their job. They should open every box and inspect the guitar and do a proper set up.

Maybe a very small number of these PRS SE guitars do have problems.

But this is getting blown way out of proportion by people who don't know how to set up their guitars.

Or how to speak up and tell the dealer to fix it or take it back.

You know what another big issue is? People buy everything online and don't try out the guitar first.

Shipping guitars back and forth across the country is a hassle.

Buy LOCAL!

I walk into Starr's Guitars in Cedaredge, CO and he has walls full of PRS SE and Core guitars.

David Starr unpacks them and sets each one up personally.

THAT'S the kind of dealer you should buy your guitar from.

Last edited:
It doesn't Sound Like You Are Thrilled Over Either Guitar. There Are A LOT of SE Guitars In The Wild So Find One You Get Excited About And G With That One.

Back