Lets talk strings...

Nickel Wound = Nickel Plated Steel

I thought the PRS strings were nickel for awhile too. Took me a bit to figure it out. If you look at D'Addario they do the same thing, and I'm pretty sure we all know who makes PRS strings.
Yes sir, didn’t mean to imply they were the same as “pure nickels.”

I tell ya, after watching Chappers video at the D’Ad factory, I’ve got a strong interest in the balanced strings. I’m LOVING the 9.5s on both NF3 and C24, but have always felt that the different tensions annoy me when bending. I’m going to grab a set next time I hit the GC.

I have always used Ernie Ball Slinky’s 9-46, but just recently tried the Ernie Ball Slinky M-steel 9-46 strings and love the feel of them.

I just switched back to Ernie Ball Super Slinky (9-42)'s after giving the PRS (9-42)'s a week or so on my SE-CU24. The PR's started out strong, but for some reason dropped off in tone and tune. They were really erratic as to where they would play out to. Like the G would go flat but the B would go sharp, or visa versa. I never could get the low E to intonante properly, and wound up having to trim the block spring on the tremolo. New strings are lighter, brighter and for me have a better finger feel. Intonation was smoother and quicker. I always had good luck with these strings, just my experience and opinion.

I’ve been using Ernie for the past 20 yrs...regular and the pure nickel. They’re one of the most reliable brands in my experience. 10’s mostly, but I always keep one guitar strung with 9’s for fun.
Recently I’ve been experimenting with the new stuff...NYXLs, Paradigms...hopefully to find one that keeps its tone longer. I really think the NYXLs sound really good (not a fan of regular XLs). Paradigms sound really good too, but I think the NYXLs might have a little more tone.
Another string I’m trying is Pyramids pure nickel classics. Question for y’all though...with PRS’s locking tuners, do I still need to put a bend in the string or should I just do it to just be on the safe side. Never really used round core strings but they sound like my cup o tea.

Another string I’m trying is Pyramids pure nickel classics. Question for y’all though...with PRS’s locking tuners, do I still need to put a bend in the string or should I just do it to just be on the safe side. Never really used round core strings but they sound like my cup o tea.

With locking tuners there is usually no need to put a kink in the string. I use Pyramid Pure Nickels exclusively with Gotoh SD90MGs, Phase IIs, Phase IIIs and the S2 tuners. Just make sure they are properly locked into place with the PRS tuners.

Hate to be a company man, but I use the PRS 9-42 set, made by D'Addario. I love those strings.

With locking tuners there is usually no need to put a kink in the string. I use Pyramid Pure Nickels exclusively with Gotoh SD90MGs, Phase IIs, Phase IIIs and the S2 tuners. Just make sure they are properly locked into place with the PRS tuners.
Thanks man

I have always been an Ernie Ball slinky's - more recently the Paradigm's - in 10-46. I have tried the NYXL once in the same gauge as a test and certainly didn't 'dislike' them. I could of got used to NYXL's but the Paradigms just felt better or more familiar.

I did use Slinky 11's for a LONG time on my first guitar - a 70's Epiphone Les Paul Custom but as PRS guitars were set-up and came with 10's also as I no longer have the Epiphone, I have dropped down to 10's. The only guitar that I will probably string with 11's now is my Hollowbody 2 and that has a wound 'G' as well.

I don't like guitars to sound too bright or thin - I like warmth with fat, fuller sounds but then I am not playing in a band so not competing with other guitarists, bass and drums and don't need to much 'treble' to cut through either. I find thin strings tend to be brighter and thinner (with the same settings) and 10's are the lowest I think I would go - maybe 9.5's at a push...

I make my own sets out of daddario singles

10-48 for D standard feels like a set of 9s at standard pitch to me... 10-50 for drop C

D’Addario NYXL 1046BT. I love the bright fundamental and how the string changes sound and feel less abrupt when playing scales or double stops that go between the D, G, and B strings.

I’m surprised elixirs haven’t gotten the love they deserve. I use Nanoweb 9s on my 509 (25.25 scale length) and they feel amazing. Super playable and smooth but with a little control. I do like my strings loose though.

Well... the Pyramid pure classics didn’t cut it for me sad to say. I thought I was really diggin em’, but after some lengthy time playing today comparing to EBs on another guitar, they just didn’t do it. I wish they would have because they were the best feeling strings I’ve played. The high strings sounded beautifully unmatched. The wound strings is what ruined it for me. Way too soft sounding...almost muffled sounding. No snap. Unbalanced compared to the high strings.
I then slapped on a set of EB pure nickels, re-intonated and bamm! Great balanced classic sound that I’m used to.
Oh well, maybe the Maximum performance ones will sound a little better.

Edit: I put a set on my Silver Sky and they sound fantastic on that guitar. Thank goodness, because I bought 3 packs and a Maximum performance set on the way

Last edited:
Back