Lets talk strings...

Elixir 10s on pretty much everything. PRS DGTs on the DGT, 9.5s on my CU24. I'll throw in the odd set of DRs or something else here and there. A couple still have 9s, but they'll probably become 10s eventually.

I've been using a 9-46 six-string set, with an added 59 for the low string. I just got some 60 gauge to try out. It isn't a lot more tension (about 1/2 lb), but I'm hoping it might tighten it up the tone a little.

Cool. I purchased my SE-7 secondhand and the previous owner had a 62 (or 64?) for the 7th string but I found it way too tight for my playing. I'm sure a 60 would be a nice compromise to beef up the 7th string a touch. I personally though am happy with the 59, and buying a pre-made pack is much easier than ordering singles (for me). I much prefer being able to walk into almost any music store and grabbing a pack of strings off the shelf.

Cool. I purchased my SE-7 secondhand and the previous owner had a 62 (or 64?) for the 7th string but I found it way too tight for my playing. I'm sure a 60 would be a nice compromise to beef up the 7th string a touch. I personally though am happy with the 59, and buying a pre-made pack is much easier than ordering singles (for me). I much prefer being able to walk into almost any music store and grabbing a pack of strings off the shelf.

I try not to go into a store for anything. It's safer for my finances (and my marriage) that way. I set up for whatever feels right and stock up occasionally online.

9.5's on my 24.5 scale Santana, 9's on everything else. Over the years, I've had to develop a lighter touch due to the onset of arthritis. I used to use 12's on short scale guitars, and 11's, and 10's on long scale guitars. I fell in love with PRS guitars due to their incredibly player friendly necks. There are no other guitars on the market that are as adaptable as a PRS. I use them exclusively on stage. In the studio, I use them for almost everything, but occasionally throw in an S-type, or a T-type, for a little spice. That's my dos centavo's! Ymmv...

Interesting; I see they’re inlaid with silk; presumably inside the wrap?

Back in the 70s, I tried silk & steel Martin strings on my Martin acoustics, but I found them a bit too muted sounding. How do the strings you’re mentioning compare with something like the D’Addario 80/20 bronze or phosphor bronze strings in terms of volume and brightness?

Les, I just saw your question. Thomastiks I have found to be different from the rest. While I am not going to say they are just as loud, they are a full balanced and warm tone, with high clarity that cuts through. Great strings, especially for recording. They last a long time for me and I do some bending in there occasionally. I love em. The price is what prejudices most against them, and I don't understand that when people pay so much for many acoustic guitars. I think you would like them if you gave them a try. Hope I helped. And by the way that Blue hummingbird mic you turned me onto a while back is the bomb!!! Thank you It likes the Thomastiks also.

Added edit: Yes, they have a silk core. The Martins are a different beast and not a good comparison to the Thomastiks anyway. The Plectrum versions are also silk cores and wrapped differently from the Spectrums. They are louder than the Spectrums, not much though. The cool thing with the Plectrums is you can go to a heavier gauge because of the Silk core and different wrap without harming your guitar, which gives even better dynamics.

Last edited:
I initially thought they were great. Loved the bright aggressive tone and the feel didnt bother me at all either. I noticed the frets 'changing' but didnt link it to the strings until I started seeing the comments online. Who knows though... Maybe its not the cobalt... Maybe it was a bad early batch or something.
Perhaps, I've just tried to steer clear of them from word of mouth. But yanno how word of mouth in the guitar community can go.

I just went to 9.5 PRS strings on the Custom 24. It's had 9s on it for a couple years, and while butter, they were just too slinky. I never thought I'd say that. But playing 9.5s on the NF3 convinced me that the 9s are just too slinky for me.

I did this last night and it took a while because it got it's annual polish, fret polish, fingerboard clean and oil, etc. But I played them for about an hour afterwards and it was simply awesome!!! MUCH better. And, after all this talk about other brands, and so forth, I looked closely at the package. Nickle Wound. That would explain why I've always thought they were smoother rounder sounding strings. For more metal, I'll try different strings.

Also, I had the C22 LTD semi out the other night. I have 9.5s on it now. But I really think I'm going back to 10s on that guitar. Even 9.5s are just super slinky feeling. Oh, they play fantastically well. I could leave them forever and be happy. But I think that guitar may just want the 10s.

Lastly, after seeing the Chapman video, I'm going to start trying other string types again. Back in the day, I put EB Slinkys on my Ibanez Artist (my "do everything" guitar), Dean Markleys on my Kramer Baretta (rock!) and EB Nickel wound on my Strat to tame the bright nature of it a bit. I think it's time to try some of these new formulas. My most immediate interest is in the "balanced tension" sets. The difference in tensions of one string to the next has always bugged me. If they really have found a way to balance that out without sacrifice elsewhere, I think I'd really dig that!

If I get time Sunday, my 2 fixed-bridge PRSi are getting Ernie Ball 10-52's and my 2 customs will get 10-48's. (Depending mostly on if i can be bothered polishing 4 fretboards really).
I experimented with the EB 10-52 set on my Les Paul last year and it worked well, so time to try on my gigging guitars now too.

I looked closely at the package. Nickle Wound. That would explain why I've always thought they were smoother rounder sounding strings.

Nickel Wound = Nickel Plated Steel

I thought the PRS strings were nickel for awhile too. Took me a bit to figure it out. If you look at D'Addario they do the same thing, and I'm pretty sure we all know who makes PRS strings.

dxyZy0o.jpg

myz7AkN.jpg

Last edited:
Nickel Wound = Nickel Plated Steel

I thought the PRS strings were nickel for awhile too. Took me a bit to figure it out. If you look at D'Addario they do the same thing, and I'm pretty sure we all know who makes PRS strings.

dxyZy0o.jpg

myz7AkN.jpg
I’m pretty sure that D’addario is one of only a small handful of companies around the world that draw their own wire for guitar string making. It’s in the documentary I referred to earlier.

I use Daddario 9-42 on all my custom 24’s and Mira Core they have 25” scale. My Santana (in avatar photo) 10-46 since it has 24.5” scale but I may try 9.5 since arthritis with my fingers tend to bother me more these days. My Tonare Grand I use 12’s tuned down whole step, helps with hitting high noted singing doing my acoustic show lol.

I modified my 2002 Cust24 with piezo system in 03 and then with 13pin midi sometime after. I use 9’s but I want to tune it down a whole step. Guess I’ll try 11’s. Any thoughts?

Back