Favorite Electric Strings?

MarcWink

Okay gang, back in the day when I only had two electric guitars (when I was about 14 or 15), I used Dean Markley Blue Steel Strings in 9-42, but when they started getting more difficult to find locally, I switched to Ernie Ball Slinky strings in 10-52 variety. I've been using these now for the better part of 15 years or so. I've always been happy with the Ernie Ball strings, they give me a nice bright, snappy tone that works well for down tuning (using the 10-52 set, I have guitars set up for everything from drop B all the way to Eb standard). Despite my being mostly content with the Ernie Ball Slinky strings, the gear ho in me is wanting to come out and take a look at some different alternatives for strings. So, having said that, and with my preference being a bright snappy tone, what alternatives are out there in the 10-52 gauge?

I've been playing D'Addario's for a very long time, and I recently switched to their NYXL stings and have had nothing but good experiences with them. That being said, I don't play enough variety of strings to be able to say these are brighter than "X". I am interested in what other feedback you get here.

I’ve used D’Addario strings on my electrics for pretty much the 35+ years I’ve been playing with no complaints. Started out using 9s and have now used 10s for the last 15 years or so.

I used to use Ernie Ball Slinky's, 9s, many moons ago when I was young. I liked the sound of them when they were new. However, I had to change them frequently. I could only get maybe two gigs out of them and the low E string would lose it's snap and become more of a thud.

I took an extended break from playing and when I came back I had a heavy hand and I had issues with bending the 9's out of tune while playing. I had a friend back in the day that used D'Addario strings. I used to do his guitar setups so I had played his guitars many times with these strings. I remembered them being much stiffer than the EB strings so I gave them a try. They fixed my issue and I really liked the tone of them. They last much much longer than the EB strings did for me. I am still playing the D'Addario 10's today. I use them on all of my guitars regardless of tuning. I don't use a lot of severe drop tuning. I mostly play at a 1/2 step down. I get tons of life out of these strings and I am so used to how they feel.

I like PRS strings too. They feel just like the D'Addario strings for me. I have heard that D'Addario actually is the manugacturer of PRS strings. I don't know if that was true or is true today but they feel the same to me.

I prefer Nickel wound for a modern, more edgy sound, and pure Nickel for a bit softer, smoother sound. Ernie Ball 9s and 10s have been my favorites

I'm all in on Elixr Optiwebs.
Interesting that that you mention Elixirs. I've used them on my Taylor 814 for years. I may have to grab a set to try on an electric to see how they do. I can positively say that they've got solid lifespan on the acoustic, though I don't play it anywhere near as much as even my least played electric.

Interesting that that you mention Elixirs. I've used them on my Taylor 814 for years. I may have to grab a set to try on an electric to see how they do. I can positively say that they've got solid lifespan on the acoustic, though I don't play it anywhere near as much as even my least played electric.
Yeah, my fingers get kinda jinky and stick on the strings (ever since I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic). The coated strings seem to make it easier.

I also started off with Dean Markley, but they were difficult to find, so eventually switched to D'addario 9's. Many moons ago moved up to EXL110. I have tried PRS, which are nice, but don't think the improved niceness justifies the price. Tried a few others too, but EXL110 sound and feel best to me.

temp-Imageh-Gqwfw.avif

I’m a weirdo that likes 9.5’s.
NYXL are my strings of choice. I can do regular D’Addarios and Ernie’s version (Primo slinky) but feel that they take more stretching and don’t hold tune as well as NYXL.

NYXL last longer for me and stay in tune better. I find them very similar to PRS Signature strings but better. I still don’t understand PRS packaging of strings. It’s not nearly as intuitive as Ernie’s (individual) or like D’Addario (paired in order and color coded).

Back