Strings on guitar with Floyd Rose

SPW

Hello,

I have a new Custom 24 Floyd (got it last month) and I want to buy some strings in case I have a string that breaks. As I have no experience with a Floyd Rose (but watched some tutorials to learn how to restring the guitar), I want to keep the exact same string gauges in order not to have to adjust the spring tension. It will be sufficiently complicated to change the strings for the first time and I want it to be as easy as possible. I can always experiment with different gauges later when I’m more comfortable.

The problem is that I do not know exactly which strings I currently have. On a paper that came with the guitar it was mentioned 10s, but when I wanted to buy new strings, I saw that there are 10-46 as well as 10-52 gauge strings. The 10-46 seem the most common to me, so I guess it’s probably those? Any thoughts?

And 2nd question: I wanted to try « all fourths » tuning (EADGCF). Am I safe using this tuning with standard strings and the Floyd Rose? (after all it’s only tuned up a semi-tone on the 2 thinnest strings). I did not dare to try it out yet, since I currently have no extra strings… Will it require to change the spring tension?

Many thanks for your help.

Steve

10-46 Is A Safe Bet On Strings.

On String Changes...Change One Individual String At A Time. Don't Cut All The Strings At Once! In Fact, Never Cut All Strings At Once On Tension On Any Guitar...EVER.

You Should Be Fine With That Tuning With Those Strings And I Don't Suspect You Will Need To Change Spring Tension.

Any Other Questions, Please Ask And I Will Do My Best To Help You (As Will Many Others Here).

Congrats On Your New Guitar...Good Luck And Enjoy It!

Reactions: SPW
Probably 10-46.

If you swap strings and you're tuned to the pitch you want just check that the floyd is parallel to the body or very close.

If it's not then adjust the two screws that hold the spring claw to the body inside trem cavity.

Turn the two screws in if trem is high turn screws out If trem is low.

Adjust them both the same amount and 1/4 trunk on each may be all you need.

Adjust screws and retune.

If your guitar is really sharp or really flat then you must remember this.

When you're looking at tuner and tune the low E, don't bring string to pitch. Go past "0" a bit. Then A go past but not as much, D go past but not as much as you did on A string and do the same for all strings.

You'll figure it out after a couple of times just how much to go.

If you bring each string to pitch then it will keep going till your trem is pulled super high or super low depending on if you were sharp or flat.

You really don't want to mess with springs, lol.

Here's a method that should make it a little easier.

Block the Floyd where you want and tighten springs.
Do your setup.
Remove block.
Loosen springs until it reaches pitch.

Reactions: SPW
Some great advice from members in this thread I started...

You are getting good advice so far...

A Floyd is jumping in the deep end of the pool. The good news is that if it is setup the way you like it now, they are almost bulletproof once they are setup. As long as you stick with the same string gangue you will be in good shape. The guitar will stay in tune forever, almost. :)

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet. Don't over tighten the bolts on the nut or the bridge. The bridge bolts only need to be tight enough to hold the string in the vice. The nut bolts only need to be tight enough to keep the string from slipping across the nut when the tension changes from using the trem. Some people really crank on these and todays Floyds are not made of the same metal as the old ones and you could end up having to replace some parts if you strip the bolts on them.

Back