9's or 10's on PRS SE 24's tuned a half-step down?

itskellyo

I have my first PRS arriving in the mail next Tuesday. I play most of my music a half-step down. With guitars that I exclusively for my music, I use 11-49 strings. But I anticipate this PRS will be a jack-of-all-trades, especially in recording contexts so I expect it will see some time in standard tuning. The PRS I ordered seems to have 9-42's, per the PRS website. Will I have any issues with the nut going up to 10-46 Elixir strings? Does anyone have experience playing a half-step down with 9-42's on their PRS 24's? Would I need to adjust the tension at all with either 9's or 10's a half-step down? Would love to hear more from those who have a similar PRS model or who are used to playing a half-step down.

Nines tuned down would be hard for me to even feel on the fingerboard, never mind expecting to get them to play in tune or not feel floppy. To each his own but simply asking about the nines versus tens the guitar should handle it fine as shipped Through the nut.

and yes you’ll have to redo your intonation and maybe the trem float.

Nines tuned down would be hard for me to even feel on the fingerboard, never mind expecting to get them to play in tune or not feel floppy. To each his own but simply asking about the nines versus tens the guitar should handle it fine as shipped Through the nut.

and yes you’ll have to redo your intonation and maybe the trem float.
I had that experience with my Gibson Les Paul Tribute that I traded for. It came with 9's and it was floppy as hell and didn't stay in tune a half-step down. Wrt the trem float, am I going to have to tighten the claw with 10's?

I had that experience with my Gibson Les Paul Tribute that I traded for. It came with 9's and it was floppy as hell and didn't stay in tune a half-step down. Wrt the trem float, am I going to have to tighten the claw with 10's?
This may feel better with the slightly longer scale.

easy rule of thumb for dropped tunings ( I keep 3 guitars in open tunings) go up 1 string gauge , double check truss rod and intonation and rock on

If the nut was cut for 9-42 and you switch to 10-46, it's possible you might get some minor binding, most likely noticeable when using the trem (i.e. the strings don't come back to pitch because they're getting stuck in the nut slot). It might be close enough that it's not an issue

Back