PRS tremonti action issues

Siddiq

Hey guys apologies if this should've been posted somewhere. Feel free to move it if necessary. I changed the stock strings on my WL Tremonti to 11's without changing any setup parameters. Anyway after playing with it like that for a 6 months, I changed back to the stock which is I think 10-52. Ive noticed now that my action is a bit higher than before especially in the higher frets. No intonation issues, but she seems to go out of tune a lot now with normal playing ( no whammy use). I always tuned a half step down. Any ideas and fixes?

When String Gauges Are Changed And Or Tuning Changes That Means The Tension Changes And When You Have A Trem Involved Things Will Shift Which Is What You Are Experiencing. Is The Trem Flat To The Body? Is The Truss Adjusted For Your Desired Neck Relief? You May Need To Tweak The Trem Claw A Bit. The Things To Consider Overall Is Nut Height, Neck Relief, Trem Position (Level With Body) And Possibly Saddle Height. I Can Help Further If You Tell Me More Specifically What Is Going On From What I Listed.

In reading your post, if you went from 10's to 11's without a change and left it like that for some time, you likely increased the tension (if the tuning was the same). Now shifting to 10's, I would expect that the neck relief is out a bit. There are a few good PRS setup videos which show how to adjust the tremelo. I was surprised at how much a minor spring adjustment impacted the action/relief. Give it a shot.

As @Bogner mentioned, it will make a big difference between a tremelo and stop tail. I switch my Tremonti's (both stop tails) between 10-46 and 11-52 without any major setup issues, but I keep the string tension similar with the tuning. The 10's are for E standard and the 11's are for D standard. As the tension is the same, no changes are needed. When I had a Tremonti with a tremelo, the same change required adjustments to the springs and the neck relief.

Before anything else I would check to see that all the knife edges are in the grooves of the trem screws. If one or more are out the trem would be tilted and that would change the action and make it go out of tune easily.

Ok will do some measuring an checking and get back to you all. Thank you so much!

Warning noob moment ahead. So I decided instead of “sighting” and “feeling” my guitar for setup purposes , I’m gonna invest in a kit.
can anyone tell me if this kit will do for truss rod adjustments, action and intonation and whatever else I may need to get my problem sorted out. If anyone has a better kit feel free to send me a link

Warning noob moment ahead. So I decided instead of “sighting” and “feeling” my guitar for setup purposes , I’m gonna invest in a kit.
can anyone tell me if this kit will do for truss rod adjustments, action and intonation and whatever else I may need to get my problem sorted out. If anyone has a better kit feel free to send me a link

That's got a good array of measuring tools, but you'll also need a truss rod wrench for adjusting the truss rod, and hex wrenches (aka allen wrenches) for bridge saddle heights for bridges with individual saddles, and a small Philips head screwdriver for adjusting intonation. If you bought your guitar new, it should've come with both of the wrenches you'd need, so you'd be all set there

Cools. Yup all my case candy is untouched ( by me too :( so I’d get to measuring and updating with some usable information for more help. Thank you

The Kit Is Decent Beginner Kit. There Are Much better Tools Out There From Stew Mac And Others. My Question Is This...Do You Know How To Use Those Tools To Properly Set Your Guitar Up?

The Kit Is Decent Beginner Kit. There Are Much better Tools Out There From Stew Mac And Others. My Question Is This...Do You Know How To Use Those Tools To Properly Set Your Guitar Up?
To be honest I’ve looked at a lot of prs set up vids and read articles from sweet water so I’ve an idea of what needs to be done. I’m obsessive about details so I go on over things a lot ! Plus my career requires my hands to be steady! Very steady. However if all fails I’d be hurriedly messaging you all here

Back