Lets talk strings...

Russ73

I have been using Daddario 9.5s on my PRSi and they seem to have the tone and easy bending that I like in a guitar but I will say I have broken more strings with my S2s that any other guitars I own, well worth it though..what gauge and brand do you guys use??

Nickel 10-46 on everything...except the DGT's...11-49. They're Nickel too...less finger squeak-age. Not brand picky at all...But not a fan of the coated strings. However, I'm still a basement dweller that's just in it to abuse my wife's ears. OK, the dogs seem to run away, too.

I have been using Daddario 9.5s on my PRSi and they seem to have the tone and easy bending that I like in a guitar but I will say I have broken more strings with my S2s that any other guitars I own, well worth it though..what gauge and brand do you guys use??

Hey Russ,

I use NYXLs 9.5 (the 9s were cutting into my fingers on high E and B strings) and Curt Mangan nickel wound 9s...

If in a pinch, I will pick up some D'addario 9s since I can find those at any guitar shop. I heard rumors about D'addarios snapping but I cant remember if those were 9.5s or 10s.

I also used to use EB Cobalts on my S2 but the strings seemed to be hurting my frets. Loved the sound but loved my frets more. So I moved on from those strings.

Maybe try some NYXL 9.5s. I buy them in bulk when they go on sale. They are bendy and shouldnt snap as easily.

I've always been a fan of Ernie Ball Super Slinky Nickel Wound 9-42. The high E and B strings endure the bending for long time (they're still the first to break of course).

Last edited:
Mostly the PRS 10s.
9s on a couple of older guitars.
11s on a few.
12s on the archtop.
9.5 on the dragon.

Les Pauls have Blue Steel and vintage Gibson.
Tele has Blue Steel, strat has whatever Fender put in the case.

I’m not quite as fickle with the acoustics.

I like DR 10-46's for standard, 11-54 to go down a whole step. Usually pure nickel, but on guitars that can use a little more snap, I'll do nickel plated steel. I don't often break the DR's, but then again I don't often break much of anything, just lucky I guess!

11s on my SE245, 10-52 hybrid set on my custom 24s. My F guitars get 10s. All D'addario NYXLs.

Last edited:
Ernie Ball Super Slinky's on EVERYTHING. I have always liked how they feel and the tuning stability is awesome once they are stretched. The seems to last a long time too - a big part of the tone I like is a slightly 'dead' string. Only break 'em after they have been on the guitar about a year, lol.

D'Addario Nickel wound 10s on pretty much everything for quite a few years. The exception is a Yamaha with a floyd rose that has 9s. Haven't broken a string for years

I've found myself equally happy with D'Addario 9.5 - 44 on the 594 and the CU22 with trem. I normally would use 9-46 on a 25 or 25.5 inch scale, but somehow the Custom feels slinky enough. Makes life easier for gigs. Doesn't matter which guitar I throw in the bag, I have spare strings regardless.

About to set up my Strat type (25" scale) with 10-52 for E flat.

I go with the good ol' XL. I've tried the NYXL, but am not sold on the benefits for the price.

I haven't broken a string in years. Closest thing was I recently had a defective 9 gauge that unraveled at the ball end.

Another D'Addario fan of the coloured ball ends here, - EXL110 10-46 on PRS, and EXL120 9-42 on Strat, no breakages and last for ages (got dry hands)

Back when I started playing all the different brands of strings were all made with Mapes wire.

you can still get the good stuff direct from the manufacturer at a pretty good discount.

https://www.mapesstrings.com/guitar-strings/

I tend to go with Pyramid on guitar w/o locking tuners or anything I want pure nickel
Mangan makes good strings
Elixer Optiweb for my Anderson
EB Cobalt for my JP15

D'Addario EXL 110W - .10's with a wound third. Been using them for years on all electrics, they are particularly nice on my PRS Hollowbody Spruce.

NYXL 10-52's for F# standard tuning and 11-56's for drop C...like the tension cuz I play hard :)

NYXL 10-46 Balanced Tension. Love the way they play across the middle four strings, and they last quite a while, for me about twice as long as EXLs.

I use the PRS .010s, the D’Addario pure nickel wrap .010s, and the Sono-Tone pure nickel .010s (I use both their hex core and round core, on different guitars).

The PRS have nice bite; the D’Addario pure nickels are warmer, maybe more balanced, and certainly more vintage sounding, but with less high frequency push; and the Sono-Tones have the advantages of pure nickel fullness and balance, but with a little more bite, and maybe a touch nicer bend-ability than the D’Addario pure nickels.

I’m down to experimenting with these three brands mostly, occasionally the Pyramid nickel wraps, on my guitars. I’m a more traditional player, definitely not a high gain player, so the slightly less hot tone of pure nickels works for me. But the PRS strings are nicely balanced with certain of my guitars.

My own experience is that It’s worth experimenting with different brands, as each one brings out different things in my guitars.

Back