Lets talk strings...

I use the PRS .010s, the D’Addario pure nickel wrap .010s, and the Sono-Tone pure nickel .010s (I use both their hex core and round core, on different guitars).

The PRS have nice bite; the D’Addario pure nickels are warmer, maybe more balanced, and certainly more vintage sounding, but with less high frequency push; and the Sono-Tones have the advantages of pure nickel fullness and balance, but with a little more bite, and maybe a touch nicer bend-ability than the D’Addario pure nickels.

I’m down to experimenting with these three brands mostly, occasionally the Pyramid nickel wraps, on my guitars. I’m a more traditional player, definitely not a high gain player, so the slightly less hot tone of pure nickels works for me. But the PRS strings are nicely balanced with certain of my guitars.

My own experience is that It’s worth experimenting with different brands, as each one brings out different things in my guitars.

Pretty similar here...I use the PRS strings (tens) and the Sono-Tones(both Vintage and Classic in tens also)

I've used D'addario's forever but Les has got me thinking about experimenting
I’ve done it a few times. Just buy a few different ones and give it a go.
Right now I have a couple years inventory for electric.

I just finished trying a few sets of classical strings...and ended up preferring pretty much the same thing I decided I liked 10 years ago. Though if I wasn’t so cheap I’d use the lower 3 from one set and the top 3 from another.

I use Ernie Ball Paradigm's in 10-52 (Lotta people hate EBs, but for the nitty gritty gigging musician, you can't go wrong). Anything below that is too flimsy on a sub 25" scale guitar in my opinion. I've had the Paradigms on for about 2 months, and have yet to have any issues with rust (I live in the humid South so this is a plus). To really test them (Since they do have a 3 month or so warranty), I have had some major fun just going all out on bending strings. No broken strings yet :)

Though I'm considering going up to the .12s.

Hey Russ,

I use NYXLs 9.5 (the 9s were cutting into my fingers on high E and B strings) and Curt Mangan nickel wound 9s...

If in a pinch, I will pick up some D'addario 9s since I can find those at any guitar shop. I heard rumors about D'addarios snapping but I cant remember if those were 9.5s or 10s.

I also used to use EB Cobalts on my S2 but the strings seemed to be hurting my frets. Loved the sound but loved my frets more. So I moved on from those strings.

Maybe try some NYXL 9.5s. I buy them in bulk when they go on sale. They are bendy and shouldnt snap as easily.
Yeah unless you have stainless steel frets, Cobalts are basically murder

Yeah unless you have stainless steel frets, Cobalts are basically murder

I initially thought they were great. Loved the bright aggressive tone and the feel didnt bother me at all either. I noticed the frets 'changing' but didnt link it to the strings until I started seeing the comments online. Who knows though... Maybe its not the cobalt... Maybe it was a bad early batch or something.

After waffling between my old preferred GHS sets and NYXLs for a while, I've really settled on the NYXL .010s. I currently prefer them on both my cores. (They do feel like an improved-upon version of the standard D'Addario XL sets of days past, anecdotally speaking.) I have no brand preference when it comes to accessories really, whatever works. Still curious to try a couple of Sono-Tone sets, too, from all the glowing mentions they receive.

(edited to add gauge...)

Last edited:
I use D'addario 10-59 7-string set on my PRS SE-7 (B-Standard and Drop A).
I haven't tried the NYXL's yet on my SE-7 but I've used NYXL's on my 6-strings and love them.

I've always been satisfied with Ernie Ball Super Slinky's (9's) on my Chibson LP and my Squire Standard Fat Strat, never had a problem with breaking or corrosion. I may throw on a set on the SE in 6 months or so, I'm still breaking in the PRS 9's right now, so I want to see how they work over time. I prefer and recommend Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20 Bronze Lights on my Acoustics.

DR pure blues 9-46 nickel like the old days. Works well for that classic rock and blues sound.

For my acoustics I use Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum 12's. THey are expensive, but so are the guitars. Other strings simply do not compare,

For my 12 string (avatar), I use PRS 12 string strings. The best for this application on a HB. Tunes down great to that C tuning for playing "The Rainsong".

10-46 Ernie Ball Regular Slinky on everything. However my son got me a couple packs of the PRS 10-46 for Christmas and I like them equally as well.

D’addario 10-42 (EXL110) but considering a change to 11’s as I have always played 25.5 inch scale and a recent change to 25 inch scale is causing me to over bend. So time for a wee experiment.

11-52 d’addario phosper bronze, on the acoustic.

Used to use DRs 10-46 but seemed to break strings too frequently. Now use NYXLs 10-46. Two shows max on a set of strings otherwise they break.

For my acoustics I use Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum 12's. THey are expensive, but so are the guitars. Other strings simply do not compare,

Interesting; I see they’re inlaid with silk; presumably inside the wrap?

Back in the 70s, I tried silk & steel Martin strings on my Martin acoustics, but I found them a bit too muted sounding. How do the strings you’re mentioning compare with something like the D’Addario 80/20 bronze or phosphor bronze strings in terms of volume and brightness?

Back in the 70s, I tried silk & steel Martin strings on my Martin acoustics, but I found them a bit too muted sounding. How do the strings you’re mentioning compare with something like the D’Addario 80/20 bronze or phosphor bronze strings in terms of volume and brightness?
I remember my mum using silk inlaid strings on her classical, they were about £12 a pack in the ‘90’s so god nows how much they cost now. They had a nice tone on her classical, they didn’t take long to go dull sounding though.

I’m also wondering how they sound I’m assuming in a non-classical guitar?

I use super slinky everywhere, used to be a blue steel guy but I had so many issues with dean markley (rusted strings out of the pack, several times...) that I switched to the pinky strings (anyway, I prefer thong to string...)

Ive used boomers since 1987. They were always 9s, but I would replace the 9 itself with a 10 which would last longer. For brands, I use whatever is on sale now.

I haven't seen any love for the elixer strings in this thread, so I'll chime in. I like elixer nanoweb strings on most of my guitars. Just like the way they feel, they hold up well, and they last longer than most for me. On my PRS Hollowbody, I like the PRS 11's with the wound third.

In the middle of an experimentation phase after using just Ernie Ball 9-42s for years.

I currently have a set of D'Addario 9-40 balanced tension NYXLs on one of my PRS and a set of 8-38 NYXLs on the other plus Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42s on my LP and Strat. I tried a set of 10-46 on one PRS but they only lasted maybe two hours before being cut off - hated the feel of them. The 9-40s will probably go too as I prefer 8-38s best so far as I like bending strings:)

I've also used DR Blues pure nickel strings and liked the sound of those but the smallest gauge they make in pure nickel is 9-42. Next trial will be a set of Ernie Ball 8-38s pure nickel.

As an observation on the two D'Addario NYXL sets I've used, they seem to be pre-stretched and hold tune very well right from the off. All the other strings I've ever used have needed stretching before they become stable. I really like that.

I use D'addario 10-59 7-string set on my PRS SE-7 (B-Standard and Drop A).
I haven't tried the NYXL's yet on my SE-7 but I've used NYXL's on my 6-strings and love them.

I've been using a 9-46 six-string set, with an added 59 for the low string. I just got some 60 gauge to try out. It isn't a lot more tension (about 1/2 lb), but I'm hoping it might tighten it up the tone a little.

Back in the 70s, I tried silk & steel Martin strings on my Martin acoustics, but I found them a bit too muted sounding.
Interesting. I have one old guitar that I’ve mostly used silk and steel on for 40 years. It’s a big body deadnought and nothing else sounds quite as good for it. But I don’t use them on anything else.

Back