Let's see those modded PRS's

Here is my modded 2008 CU22 Artist with an ebony board and rosewood neck (got it from John Mann at Northcoast). I removed the overly compressed and covered Dragon II pickups and put in some covered Lollar Imperials, which was better. Then I found a mint set of one of my favorite pickups---old PRS Artist pickups from the 90's with alnico 4 magnets and gold poles/screws. Fantastic sound and like the look better as well.

Then I replaced the stoptail with a Schroeder adjustable stoptail. I like the tone and appearance on this guitar. Finally, I removed the knobs and switched them for the ones on my DGT (I had an extra for the DGT).

Duncan Jazz in the neck, Duncan JB in the bridge of my 2014 S2 Custom 22.

69jWNfZ.jpg

Here's my 2011 Custom 24 with Painkillers, 2004 CE-24 with a C-bomb and Coldsweat, and my Archon with black taurus tolex and an LED/amp jewel swap to red.

if i needed a good 3-way mini toggle to irreversibly ruin a guitar, which one would i use?

There's not a huge amount of variation in quality, I don't think. I like to buy from Love My Switches because I admire their dedication to a niche. Most important is what are going to do with it. You may need an on/off/on or an on/on/on.

There's not a huge amount of variation in quality, I don't think. I like to buy from Love My Switches because I admire their dedication to a niche. Most important is what are going to do with it. You may need an on/off/on or an on/on/on.

i’m going to switch between two pickups on a 5-way rotary and a totally all by itself single neck pickup.

Last edited:
if i needed a good 3-way mini toggle to irreversibly ruin a guitar, which one would i use?

-One that actually pertains to guitars, unlike a cheesy diagram about tea etiquette.

-I've gotten spare parts from Philadelphia Luthier Tools, they should be able to accommodate supplying parts like that just fine.

Reactions: jxe
I have a new set of the hot rodded set and pearly gates taunting me. The problem is that I like my 85/15s on my S2 cu 24. I guess I’m going to need 2 guitars to install these p/u.

I bought my 2014 S2 Custom 22 used, and the previous owner had installed the Duncans. I believe this guitar originally came with the #7's (?), so I never got to hear the stock pickups in this one.

I will say though, that I really like the Duncan JB/Jazz set in this guitar.

Here is my 2003 SE Soapbar in Vintage Cherry

sig6p9J.jpg

I bought this on eBay, paying quite a lot, hoping that the condition was as good as the seller stated. However, other than surface scratches, which I was able to remove using D'Addario Restorer
uUcAq3u.jpg

there were some dents which had to be repaired before these areas became worse.
7sv7u33.jpg

Apart from these small blemishes, the guitar was in fabulous condition, so time to start modding!!

I wanted to keep the PRS character intact, but enhance the tone, sustain and make some cosmetic changes.

I changed the nut to a PRS core one, then changed the cast aluminium bridge for a machined ABM PRS style wraparound in bell brass with nickel plating. This was held down by a TonePros PRS locking system.
YHFphhm.jpg

Electrics:
the original wiring harness
puEGwlx.jpg

Actually, this looked pretty good, but experience with a Korean Hamer had shown that anything here that wasn't up to standard was going to wreck the tone, so it all came out. In it's place, CTS pots, a Jensen oil in paper cap, a Switchcraft Jack & Selector switch.
bhwOsvd.jpg

Cosmetic changes:
A change from Metric to Imperial pots also necessitated a change of control knobs. I didn't like the original 'Speed' knobs, the smooth surface was slippery and I didn't like the way they looked.
i98weQz.jpg

Choosing replacements was an easy choice, PRS Lampshades, transparent and black to compliment the 'Moon' inlays and 'Soapbar' logo on the headstock.
crlORNK.jpg

At this point, I also changed the switch tip from black to cream, then changed the black P90 pickup covers from black to Bare Knuckle cream ones.
0NawxK7.jpg

The guitar had come with a gigbag, but I preferred a PRS case to keep her in; there is something very satisfying about opening a case like this, to find a beautiful guitar waiting to be played... not quite the same feeling as opening a gigbag...
lym3G42.jpg

I tried changing the tuner buttons for grained ivoroid ones from Crazy parts, but I never got on with them, they didn't fit properly, making tuning hell! So I removed them, using the originals again!
sz8fctj.jpg

jlegzLC.jpg

Here in company with my McCarty Satin Soapbar (I changed the original Speed knobs to bronze Lampshades on this one)
ufmJpEG.jpg

Finally, with some friends!
u1FbXvB.jpg

I'm hesitant to change the original pickups, they do sound good; does anyone know what magnets they have, ceramic or alnico? Perhaps the tuners will go next? Gotoh locking?

Leave the pickups. Different doesn’t mean better. I put Hipshot open back locking tuners on mine. I love them, and they’re USA made.

Back