Let's see those modded PRS's

Probably not for everyone's taste but here it is now.
mWgILRC.jpg

Qe3Q92w.jpg

Oh yeah! Love that headstock as well!

Here’s my 2009 Mira Kornia with a custom pickguard and truss rod cover I made for it.
pSabUvK.jpg

nMyIPqz.jpg

Yum! Great work on the TRC!

Not really a "mod", and I don't have pictures...but I was looking at the back of my SE Standard and noticed that the back plate that covers the electronics sits inside a lip. The back plate fits nicely, but there is a tiny gap all the way around as expected. However, the inside of the lip is not painted, so at certain angles you can see the unpainted wood underneath. Solution? I Took the plate off and used a thick black Sharpie pen to color the inside lip black and also went around the edge of the back plate with the marker to darken it. The result is no more natural wood poking through and gives overall more finished appearance.

Also, the the selector switch is silver...and can be seen pretty clearly on the front. Looks a bit industrial against the beautiful Tobacco Sunburst and georgeous cream trim. So, I took the back plate off, unscrewed the switch, pulled it out of the slot and painted as much as I could black with the Sharpie. The result is a nice, clean looking switch slot with none of the silver aluminum showing through. Thinking about also replacing the switch screws with black ones eventually.

Has anyone *dared* to rout a middle pickup in a Custom 22 or similar? I know I'm probably going to get some hate for even suggesting such a thing, but, just asking...

yeah, isn’t it horrifying? i wanted to start strong soas not to lose my nerve, and all i had on hand are the stone dremel bits for carving duck decoys. i ordered real router bits, but at exactly the wrong time it turns out.

If you have/make a pickup rout template, it will make your life a little easier.

Apologies if I’m telling you stuff you know.

PM if you want any pointers.

Vinyl Wrap on a PRS Singlecut

This guitar started out as a commemorative (?) guitar for the Rolex Cup Grand Am Racing. I never saw it in this finish. Here a couple of pictures
B5BQWcR.jpg

vepzhfz.jpg

I bought the guitar from a guy who told me "I painted the face of the guitar turquoise with a spray can finish. And I added another volume control for the second pickup." The price was cheap, so I thought why not? If nothing else it could be a project guitar. This is what it looked like when it got to me:
aloB1PE.jpg

tFZRag3.jpg

Well since the guitar has a bad finish anyway, I thought I would try vinyl wrapping the face. I bought a couple of vinyl wrap samples, and decided on a white from AveryDennison. I did some research and bought some other supplies also - cutting tape and a few cheap tools. So far about $40 into the wrap supplies. I know that pre-cut wraps are available but I didn't want to spend that much. Now a pre-cut wrap would be easier cause it is a little difficult to get the cut trimmed. Also, the paint job was a little bit down on the sides, so it was a bit more difficult to cover all the paint.
Finally I bought some guitar parts - pickup rings, knobs, a PRS headstock sticker, a new bridge, brass posts, and pearl tuner keys. (I wasn't able to use the switch knobs in the pic below). So parts wise I spent about $100.

Here are the parts, and a pic of the stripped bare guitar.
ZWr4YQf.jpg

IF1with.jpg

First I did a rough cut of the body shape, and I trimmed the face and headstock with the cutting tape. Then I applied the vinyl, lifted the cutting tape (not always as easy as YouTube makes it look!), and made some additional cuts with the razor (no pictures - sorry!).
Then I started putting it back together - install the pickups to the pickup rings, set the pickup rings, apply the headstock decal, change the tuner keys, put on the new bridge and brass poles.

So here is the finished product:
BfRuYTE.jpg
9a0QBnS.jpg
NEM40bx.jpg

Some of the tape cuts came out pretty good:
aEanCl8.jpg

And in the interest of full disclosure, some of them came out not so good:
ufK9Hu0.jpg

All in all a fun little project. And since the guitar looks nicer I am somehow thinking of it as a better guitar now. I think it even sounds better - Ha! :p

ZIRhBy4.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-UTJPHnLKE/?igshid=jyj6oq94nd0m

Mods include: stickers, decal, US Postal stamp, PRS signature, David Grissom signature, 57/08 PRS installed pickups, lampshade knobs, and a Aulson Inlay TRC.

What stamp? I never noticed that.

I have a Penguins logo sticker earmarked for my 408. I just don't remember where I put the sticker. Shawn told me how I could test to make sure the sticker wouldn't affect the finish - that was a few years ago, and then I never dug the sticker out.

Back