SE Paul's Guitar my favorite PRS

nicotele

Just wanted to know your different experiences with different PRS's

I've had 7 PRS in total, and currently own 4.

I had before a Core 594 McCarty Semi Hollow DC, a USA Silver Sky and an SE Silver Sky.

Currently own a Paul's Guitar SE, a 1999 McCarty Soapbar, a 2013 DGT and a 2016 Singlecut S2.

All of them have played absolutley fantastic, PRS is just amazing on how well they are on playability, HOWEVER, for some strange reason I still cant figure out why, form all 7 the one that had the edge is the Paul's guitar SE.

There is something about this one that just plays so so well. Actually this guitar was responsible for me to grab the other 3 I currently have because when I got this one at the beginning of the year I had 0 PRS's at the moment. then grabbed 3 more in like a window of 5 months, lol.

Each one is great on its own and play really good, and for sure, the Core ones feel more premium at the hand and they DO sound better. The McCarty has Lollar P90 and sounds very veyr good. the DGT love the bridge pickup! And the S2 I put some Heritage 225 picups (the ones that comes in the custom core, that are low output ALnico II PAF) and the S2 Sounds amazing!

The Paul's guitar is y least favorite in tone, cos the pickups are kind of more modern and kind of hotter to my preference, but still sounds very good, and since I have already many guitars with that lower output very vintage style tone, the Paul's Guitar SE brings somethig different to the tble so for the moment the pickups are great and the single tones in this are very very good actually!

But with my great experience of this SE, I am feeling less attached to the Core models actually. Cos even though are great, the SE and the S2 as well are so good and play so well, that kind of prefer getting a DGT SE, sell the DGT and have the extra cash. Could even grab also an Ibanez AZ Premium as well, and would still end up wth more cash and with 2 guitars, including a DGT even if its the SE model.
And the McCarty I love that one, but P90 is not my main pickups, plus Im gassing over a Telecaster custom shop (that was the best one ive played) so could sell the mccarty, my current tele and grab that tele CS.

That means I would be without Core models, just an S2 and an 2 SE for the moment.

Anyone here had multiple cores and then ended up with just SE and S2??

Is there something wrong with me, lol.

Would love to know your experiences!

Anyone here had multiple cores and then ended up with just SE and S2??

Is there something wrong with me, lol.

Would love to know your experiences!

No right or wrong answer here. True, most are the opposite, but all that really matters is what works for you.

For me, I do a lot of A/B playing, because I like to tweak out on my guitars. I mod lots of them core, s2, or se. It's what I do. Typically not a fan of se/s2 electronics, but sometimes like the pickups in a certain guitar and will leave those. To me there is a difference between the levels across all boxes. I usually notice it most playing the "higher" tier guitar after the "lower: tier one vs the other way around. Not sure why, but it works that way with my ear.

Been GASing for the new SASse. I was all set to bring one home the other night, but came home and played my tweaked core SAS. Rather quickly I decided, I'm good with my core SAS, a guitar I'd never sell. The SASse is a cool guitar, and I still want one, but there's others on the list before it that would round out my tone more. Still, if this one SASse I was truly curious about hadn't sold last night, it might be with me today.

Flip side. I have a seCu24 floyd, modded as far as I can go. I've always wanted a DW Ce24. I've played a few since the final mods on my se, and honestly prefer my se, and hardly, if ever, play a DW when I see it. Still would like a DW, but it's more the asthetics thing than anything to me at this point, and one probably won't ever come home with me.

Play what you like, keep what you want, and enjoy!

Also, I'll add in my se Hb2 to that mix. Great guitar, yes. Is it core tier? No. Do I play a hollowbody much? Not really. Have I modded it? Nope. Will I get a core hollowbody? Probably not, especially at these prices. Do I dig my se Hb2? Hell yeah!

All of my PRS guitars are S2s and
they all have their original pickups.
They are excellent guitars.
Nice! My S2 when I got it already had other pickup, son very high output ones that are not my thing so couldn’t try the stock ones.

But the Paul’s guitars se pickups and silver sky se pickups found they were very good so no issues with the import pickups.
No right or wrong answer here. True, most are the opposite, but all that really matters is what works for you.

For me, I do a lot of A/B playing, because I like to tweak out on my guitars. I mod lots of them core, s2, or se. It's what I do. Typically not a fan of se/s2 electronics, but sometimes like the pickups in a certain guitar and will leave those. To me there is a difference between the levels across all boxes. I usually notice it most playing the "higher" tier guitar after the "lower: tier one vs the other way around. Not sure why, but it works that way with my ear.

Been GASing for the new SASse. I was all set to bring one home the other night, but came home and played my tweaked core SAS. Rather quickly I decided, I'm good with my core SAS, a guitar I'd never sell. The SASse is a cool guitar, and I still want one, but there's others on the list before it that would round out my tone more. Still, if this one SASse I was truly curious about hadn't sold last night, it might be with me today.

Flip side. I have a seCu24 floyd, modded as far as I can go. I've always wanted a DW Ce24. I've played a few since the final mods on my se, and honestly prefer my se, and hardly, if ever, play a DW when I see it. Still would like a DW, but it's more the asthetics thing than anything to me at this point, and one probably won't ever come home with me.

Play what you like, keep what you want, and enjoy!
I think I understand what you mean. And indeed the core has nicer things and details that you notice more after playing the SE.

And taking money out of the equation yeah, core makes sense but in my case having something that I feel satisfied and fulfill my needs. The SE does the job.

Contrary is for example MIM fenders or Epiphone, is just not there for me. Good instruments but feel the need for more for sure.

Contrary is for example MIM fenders or Epiphone, is just not there for me. Good instruments but feel the need for more for sure.

I've had some very good MIM over the years, and also some not so good. They have quite few options in the MIM lines. I have a MIM that I'd probably never get rid of that I've played the hell out of. Funny, when people come over and look at all my guitars..they choose that strat for me to play over several other strats hanging next to it. Whatever lol

Epi, has some good ones too, their custom shop line makes some very good guitars with the US counterparts electronics and/or pickups in them. People think it's a new thing, but it's been around for a long time. I have one that's like 15yrs old and the fret work is up there with the best, finish is outstanding, and came with gibson electronics. I've sold several Gibsons over that has Epi.

Last edited:
Nice! My S2 when I got it already had other pickup, son very high output ones that are not my thing so couldn’t try the stock ones.

But the Paul’s guitars se pickups and silver sky se pickups found they were very good so no issues with the import pickups.

I think I understand what you mean. And indeed the core has nicer things and details that you notice more after playing the SE.

And taking money out of the equation yeah, core makes sense but in my case having something that I feel satisfied and fulfill my needs. The SE does the job.

At the end of the day, its all down to you, your needs and whether or not the SE's are 'good enough' for you, after all for their price, they are great Musical Instruments. For some, the difference is too much, and for others not enough.

As you yourself say, there is a difference in that 'quality' you get from a core, but if that doesn't matter so much as having a great tool for the job of making music, then it's what you feel is going to give you that consistently, and an SE maybe just the right tool for you...

Back