Let's see those modded PRS's

My 2002 CE-22. I swapped out the Dragon IIs for a set of Suhr Thornbuckers, the Phase IIs for a set of Hipshot locking tuners with tombstone buttons, replaced the rotary with a proper 3-way toggle and threw on a pair of lampshade knobs.

TmfqEMq.jpg

mKwBUG6.jpg

rf4f5Fa.jpg

VgYHBEB.jpg

My 2002 CE-22. I swapped out the Dragon IIs for a set of Suhr Thornbuckers, the Phase IIs for a set of Hipshot locking tuners with tombstone buttons, replaced the rotary with a proper 3-way toggle and threw on a pair of lampshade knobs.

TmfqEMq.jpg

mKwBUG6.jpg

rf4f5Fa.jpg

VgYHBEB.jpg
Very classy looking!

Anyone know of a Tobacco colored truss rod cover? I'd like to continue the Tobacco color onto the head. Thanks.

TmfqEMq.jpg

mKwBUG6.jpg

rf4f5Fa.jpg

VgYHBEB.jpg

I dig it! I love the Hipshots (I have three sets), but what made you want to replace the Phase II keys?

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of any of the PRS tuners as I just don't care for the look of the lock screw being in front vs the back. Personal taste, right?

I agree. Those front side thumb screws look overly bulky and clunky...just a weird look.

Guitar 11: SE Singlecut

In the home stretch now. Modded PRS number twelve is still in progress. Will be shared when it's done.

Frankly, this was a perfectly good guitar except the nut slots were too tight. I mainly got it to try out some mods I'd been wanting to do.

I had a set of pickups I'd been wanting to try. So in went the Bootstrap Vintage Cleans with A4 magnets. Mellow vintage flavor compared to the old SE pickups. Got it into a nice LP tone zone for me. Pretty great pickups for the price, though the bridge pup felt a little underpowered.

I also updated all the electronics. Mojotone vintage taper pot; I'd used the 250k in other guitars and wanted to try the 500k. CTS push/pull for half out of phase switching; I'd done this on a couple of Teles, but not with humbuckers and wanted to give it a try. Mojo switch; I actually think the SE switch was better.

I also got a 0.22uf Dijon cap from Mojo. They don't cost much and I hadn't gone down the whole capacitor rabbit hole, so I figured what the heck I'll try to see if makes a difference. It probably doesn't.

Finally, cosmetic mods. Gotta have lampshades! I also put on a set of the core ivory rings to go for a super clean look.

Fun project!

A26Zi7Bh.jpg

All my PRS guitars have a bit of mods to em - ebony or maple switch and trem tips & tuners,lampshade knobs on older models (replacing the speed knobs). But pickups remain the same on all my Cores; my S2 workhorse however has a set of Lindy Fralins - Twangmaster bridge & noiseless Alnico Rod P90 neck, an out-of-phase option in the middle position with the push-pull tone pot, tortoiseshell pickguard. I'm considering a MannMade trem upgrade kit for more punch, although I like the current tele-like twang and snap I get from this guitar.

20200314120618.jpg

TmfqEMq.jpg

mKwBUG6.jpg

rf4f5Fa.jpg

VgYHBEB.jpg
How did you get the hipshot tuners without the ump plate? Are the screw hole placements different on CE vs S2/SE? Looks really good with out the plates.

Eddie

I love the look of vintage tuners. How easy is it to buy and change the just the tuning pegs while keeping the tuner itself assembled?

So, I took this Bernie Marsden from this:

M9altmw.jpg

Added a Mann 2300 bridge, Phase III tuners, Core nut, Amber Lamp Shades, rewired for front knob to be bridge volume, and a set of BK Abraxas pickups. One of my favorite guitars, ever. Punched so far above its weight class. It now resides with another forum member.

8WagKrc.jpg

eww4IHC.jpg

pVWnohv.jpg

So, I took this Bernie Marsden from this:

M9altmw.jpg

Added a Mann 2300 bridge, Phase III tuners, Core nut, Amber Lamp Shades, rewired for front knob to be bridge volume, and a set of BK Abraxas pickups. One of my favorite guitars, ever. Punched so far above its weight class. It now resides with another forum member.

8WagKrc.jpg

eww4IHC.jpg

pVWnohv.jpg

That looks awesome! Bernies need to come back.

Back