PRS Silver Sky SE Mod Thread!

frankencat

Guitarded
So I bought a Silver Sky SE to mod and one of the first things I am thinking of doing is trying out some different pickups. I have a new pickguard and set of my standard Dimarzio Area 61-54pro-VirtualSolo Strat pickups. I know and love this set, I like the tone and the noiseless aspect of these, however, I am thinking of maybe trying something different. They have to have some guts and punch to them but also have that sweet Strat single coil thing. The stock pickups are ok but maybe just a tiny bit generic sounding.

I also have a Mann Made brass block incoming and am going to make a custom guard and truss rod cover and do some aging. I may also refret it with jumbo frets and I might just spray some tinted nitro on the neck. It’s a fun guitar stock, I’m just having fun. :)

Let’s see some of y’all’s mods!

Heres my starting point:

The only mods I'm doing for a while are locking tuners, and they look mostly like the regular tuners. Also I don't have them yet. :)

I will be really interested to hear if you feel the new tremolo block makes a difference.

Last edited:
I too am not a huge fan of the stock seSS pickups, decent enough, but not a tone I get excited about. Supposedly there's a route for a humbucker in the bridge. I'd definitely be looking that way with it wired to autosplit when swapping pups.

I too am not a huge fan of the stock seSS pickups, decent enough, but not a tone I get excited about. Supposedly there's a route for a humbucker in the bridge. I'd definitely be looking that way with it wired to autosplit when swapping pups.
I've thought about changing the pickups out, but...it's a wait and see proposition for me. I don't know what I would change them out for. I'm not sure I'd want more of a strat sound, or a slightly warmer sound. The stock pickups have the quack that I wanted to get from this guitar, and I wouldn't want to lose that.

There's a utuber, Dylan Does Tone, who does a set of replacement pickups for the Silver Sky (both SE and US), and they sounded interesting when I heard them on the video, but I have no real world experience with them.

Edit: he also does humbuckers and loaded pickguards. But again, I have no real world experience with these.

Last edited:
There's a utuber, Dylan Does Tone, who does a set of replacement pickups for the Silver Sky (both SE and US), and they sounded interesting when I heard them on the video, but I have no real world experience with them.

Edit: he also does humbuckers and loaded pickguards. But again, I have no real world experience with these.
I've seen his stuff. I'm not a huge go by videos to pick a pickup. Sure, I've done it, but rarely is it what I expected through my rig in real life. Luckily, I've had enough strats over the years to have a good idea what I prefer or gravitate towards.

I'm not really a loaded pickguard guy. I like to do the work myself to get exactly what I'm after. HSS with autosplit and 60s tone usually does it for me. 50s in certain instances, but not favored. If I go HSH, freeway switch, but difficult to get the full joy of a strat neck pickup, close, but I've yet to achieve it fully.

There is not a rout for a bridge humbucker in my SE SE. Just routs for three single coils.

Altho the SE Silver Sky pickups are very good, I like the Core model SS pickups better.

I use Mike Gray's Chubtone pickups in my Strats and those are what I put in my two SE SS's. The neck and middle Chubtones sound like vintage 63 Strat pickups, but the bridge pickup (El Gordo) is smoother, hotter and thicker. Chubbier!

I also put locking tuners from John Mann on both of mine, with Gibson style buttons.

I'll probably do the new steel tremolo block from John Mann too. I Iike the SE tremolo but when I'm changing strings they get stuck pretty much every time. PITA!

Last edited:
I use Mike Gray's Chubtone pickups in my Strats and those are what I put in my two SE SS's. The neck and middle Chubtones sound like vintage 63 Strat pickups, but the bridge pickup (El Gordo) is smoother, hotter and thicker. Chubbier!

I'll probably do the new steel tremolo block from John Mann too. I Iike the SE tremolo but when I'm changing strings they get stuck pretty much every time. PITA!

I had heard that Mike Gray retired from pickup winding. Do you know if this is true or not?

I had heard that Mike Gray retired from pickup winding. Do you know if this is true or not?
Mike has started winding again.

I really like his 63/63/El Gordo set. I have a set in my SE SS. 6.3K/6.3K and 7.9K El Gordo.

His 61 set is killer for clean tones and has an overwound but still vintage sounding bridge pickup. I have that set too. 6.1K/6.1K/7K. All wound with 50's/60's style Formvar copper wire.

He has a new version of the Gordo bridge pickup and he sent me one to try but it's not here yet.

Last edited:
So Round 1:
Installed new custom mint pickguard made for me by the good folks at WD Music

Old:

New:

Installed a brass block from John Mann

Installed some Dimarzio Area pickups - '61-'58-Virtual Heavy Blues 2

I created and installed a custom wiring harness using CTS pots, CRL 5-way, Gavitt vintage style wire, and a vintage .1u tone cap supplied by my good friend Tony Bruno

Stock:

New:

I am definitely please with the result. The brass block has added sustain and fatness to the acoustic tone of the guitar. The pickups have added some grunt and are centered more around mid frequencies that I prefer than the stock Silver Sky SE pickups. The stock pickups aren't bad but these take it to a place that I like a lot more. I am a huge Dimarzio pickup fan and I run Dimarzio Areas in all of my S-style guitars so it's no surprise that these sound more like home to me. ;)

Overall it went about as expected but I did run into a couple of issues, first, like in my SE 594 upgrade thread, I ran into the issue of the holes that the wires are routed through are stupidly narrow. The one I ran into is the one from the output jack to the electronics cavity. The wire I used is standard cloth style tinned wire and I couldn't get two wires through the hole without re-drilling it. Why they do this I don't know but it is annoying and for a person that doesn't have the right tools this would probably stop you in your tracks.

The next issue I ran into was that the new Switchcraft jack wouldn't fit into the jack cavity. I had to deepen it a but and I just used a 1" Forstner bit and had at it. All good after that.

The install of the brass black went smoothly as expected but when I strung up the guitar, I ran into an issue that I did not expect. When I reinstalled the bridge it sat flat on the body and the knife edges were not in the grooves of the studs. If you have ever worked on a PRS bridge or even any 2-post style trem bridge you have probably experienced this. I didn't think much of it and usually I can just push down slightly on the back of the block and the bridge will pop up and the knife edges will seat in the grooves on the posts. Well not with this bridge and this soured me a little on the design of the SS SE bridge. It's difficult to show what happened and these pics are after the fact and the second issue I had with the bridge

What happens is that the plate gets stuck underneath the area where the groove is and it is very difficult to get it up and into that groove, even with the strings slackened. I had to remove the springs from the back and lift up the plate with a screwdriver and insert some cork underneath to keep it above the groove. That is what these pictures show

To make it even more of a pita whenever I tried to pull up on the bridge to get the plate edge in the groove it pulled the studs out of the body! So it was a balancing act of getting the plate up, putting some cork under it to keep it up, and tapping the studs a little bit to get the bushings seated back in the body. Talk about a PITA! Next time I have it apart I will leak a little CA glue in there and reseat the bushings. BTW the studs are a little sloppy in the bushings as well but nothing major and the bridge does stay in tune very well.

So all in all it was a lot more work than I anticipated but I got it done over the course of a couple of hours on the bench. This time it was about the body, bridge and electronics. Next time I will focus on the neck and do some fretwork and change out the tuners and possibly the nut. Heck I may even throw some jumbo frets in it, who knows?

Until next time, Slamo out. ;)

Before:

After:

So...a few days ago I made a thread asking for pickup options for a HSS mod on a Silver Sky SE. Here's the end result:

silver-sky-se-hss.jpg

Mods so far:
1. Seymour Duncan Seth Lover on the bridge (bought a custom pickguard from eBay)
2. One tone pot to rule them all... (also didn't like the original volume pot placement)
3. Some Graph Tech saddles. Can't remember the exact model.
4. 3D-printed truss rod cover attached with a small magnet

Switching the pickup was my first "serious" mod, but it went fine. Getting some nice humbucker tones from the bridge now. While soldering isn't really among my strongest skills, I managed to put it all together (aside from making an accidental volume pot bypass first 😅). I might return to improving the wiring a bit at some point because the 5-way switch may need to be replaced, as it makes some cracking noises regardless of cleaning the contacts.

The saddles are about 10x more comfortable than the stock ones, which (both the saddles and the screws) were so sharp they would have cut into my flesh (no joking here, they were _sharp_). I tried to shorten the screws on the originals and file some edges, but ended up switching. I used to have a SE Custom 24 which had really nice saddles, but for some (vintage?) reasons the SSSE has different ones.

The truss rod cover...well, let's just say that the guitar wants to look like it's more expensive counterpart 😎

Last edited:
Nice! I have done a couple of additional mods to mine since then. Mainly, I changed the pickups to Dimarzio Area 61 neck, Area 54 Pro middle, and Tone Zone S in the bridge. The Tine Zone S cured my desire to put a full size humbucker in the bridge. Aside from that I have been playing the guitar a lot. It has become my go to church guitar and I take it to jams and rehearsals a bunch too. I have tons of other guitars including US made PRS, Gibson, Fender, and others including custom built stuff but somehow this guitar just feels like home. I would love to try a US Silver Sky but at this point I am in no hurry.

ok now that my SE CE24 mods are complete, I need to start looking into mods for the SE SS. I definitely like that pickguard! I just need to figure out what I want with pickups. I really don't think in 40+ years I have ever owned an SSS guitar, all have been HH with some tappable, others not. I guess I need to start researching single coil pickups.

Back