Just how big is PRS?

They both got me thinking about how big PRS really is in the market and the best way to think about it.

We know Fender and Gibson are the two biggest companies, though I’d say that Fender is more popular than Gibson currently, though Gibson is the only manufacturer that is in the top three for both electric and acoustic instruments.

We know that electrics go Fender, Gibson, PRS, and acoustics go Martin, Gibson, Taylor, in some order.

So is that the best way to think about it? PRS and Taylor are about the same size? I truly feel like PRS is bigger than Taylor and is really in its own class.

Actually no. Taylor Guitars, which is incorporated as Taylor Listug, Incorporated, had $155 M in sales (I think this was last year, maybe 2017). If you remember PRSi at NAMM, he reported that his company did $58 M in sales last year.

Right at 1 minute into the video Paul reports the numbers:

So strictly based on sales, Taylor is very roughly 3 times the size of PRS. This, of course, doesn't report number of guitars sold or any other metric you may want to use. This is just revenues.

Actually no. Taylor Guitars, which is incorporated as Taylor Listug, Incorporated, had $155 M in sales (I think this was last year, maybe 2017). If you remember PRSi at NAMM, he reported that his company did $58 M in sales last year.

Right at 1 minute into the video Paul reports the numbers:

So strictly based on sales, Taylor is very roughly 3 times the size of PRS. This, of course, doesn't report number of guitars sold or any other metric you may want to use. This is just revenues.

In name alone, Taylor is twice the size of PRS.

Have you noticed that F have their Rarities line? I wonder if this is anything to do with the beautiful woods that PRS use on their guitars.

Better than the Halloween offerings from G.

All I know is that after dozens of Taylor runs at GC I rather have Paul's product.
After 15 years of GAS, and around 15 core and a few SE's to spice things up, I am lucky to have 4 that are truly fine instruments.

Taylors sound great for under the hi-hat level rhythm guitar recording tracks. They have a nice bright timbre on stage too for fine chimey rhythms.
I bet The Beatles would use this tone if they had it around?

But ... I like the inspiration of song craft, and stage work that I get from PRS.

Back