Introduce yourself!

Hi all!

I'm a beginner. I just hastefully bought an Epiphone Les Paul traditional pro 2 weeks ago. But it's fine, I like it. I'm using Rocksmith right now but I would like to take lessons soon. I've owned guitars (bC rich warlock, Ibanez, Yamaha, etc)in the past but I always quit after a month or so, mainly because I can't learn Megadeth overnight. Now I'm a bit more mature and ready to actually LEARN how to play. haha

Now that I'm researching guitars, I've got a fever to buy another one. I want something that sounds good, quality and possibly made in the USA. PRS seems like the best option. :)
I'm just not sure which model to get. I want something that has a good metal sound. I do like the Opeth model. But I don't know anything about the Drop tuning guitars. any suggestions would be great. If my wife doesn't kill me, my budget would be $700ish, I could stretch it, if needed...
Thanks!
Ed

Hi Ed,

In my opinion, and according to my experience with PRS guitars, you can get a good metal sound with a lot of PRS models. Metal is a really wide genre and a killer metal sound can go from a big overdrive to an extreme turbo charged High Gain.
I've been working in the Music Industry since 2007 (I'm now owner of a world-class recording studio) and I used different gear chains to get great metal sounds.
Here are some exemples :
PRS SE Tremonti > MXR M151 (Double Shot Distortion) > Peavey ValveKing Head > Handmade 4x12 V30 cabinet
PRS Singlecut (PRS #7 Pickups) > Mesa Triple Rectifier Head > Mesa 4x12 Stiletto cabinet
PRS Custom 24 (PRS 59/09 Pickups) > Handmade Full-tube Highgain Head > Handmade Handmade 4x12 V30 cabinet
PRS Signature Tremonti (PRS Tremonti Pickups) > Soldano Head > Handmade 4x12 V30 cabinet
PRS Custom 24 > PRS CAD 2 Channel 50 Head > Handmade 4x12 V30 cabinet

Their is a lot of possibilities with these guitars, even if they are not all properly made for Metal sound.
A good sound is the result of an alchemy between the guitar, the cables (don't under-hestimate them...), pedals, amps, cabs and post processing effects.

Hope this helps!

As a new member of the forum, let me introduce myself.

I grew up in a French town, and am a self-educated musician (to be true, I think I'm self-educated in almost everything I do or know ^^).

My first encounter with PRS guitars was back in 2005 I think, in a music store I had the habit to go quite often.
I will always remember it. I was looking at all the guitars that were on this little store, and I got attracted by the 4 PRS's that were placed above, in the left side of a platform that overhanded the rest of the store, lost among a bunch of Fender's, Jackson's, Epiphone's, etc
At this time I had an entry level Telecaster-like Cort electric guitar, and I thought I didn't deserve these beautiful instrument.

A year later, and after hours looking at them, I decided to ask the owner if he could take a SE off the platform in order to test it, and I think that I definitely fell in love with these guitars. So my first love went to Singlecut models.

Then some months after, I got a SE.
It had some mods (#7 Pickups, graphite nut, knobs and electronics, DiMarzo Flamed Maple Pickup Rings, PRS Locking Tuners).
It stayed my main guitar to play on stage for years, then in January 2010 I got a wonderful Singlecut from 2000 with a 10 Top, birds, and hand-signed by PRS himself.
Actually I didn't played it a lot for years because I was feared by it, literally! I guess that's what some guys call "guitar MOJO", I don't know...

Then in last September I got a beautiful Custom 24 in a special custom color called "Faded Solana Smokeburst". I really like its versatility, the Pattern Thin Neck shape, and the 59/09 Pickups.

My last one is a Maple Neck Custom 24 in Orange Fade. It's a killer guitar with its ebony fretboard, maple neck and this awesome 10 Top and finish.

Now it's the job part:
Through the years I've been first a musician, then composer, writer, sound engineer, and record producer.
Now I added a string to my bow as the CEO of a world-class recording studio called Bad Eagle Studios (www.bad-eagle-studios.com).

I am here to share my "knowledges" an love for PRS guitars/instruments and music in general.
Thanks for reading guys!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Chris.

I do like the Custom 24. I've been eyeballing the SE Paul Allender too.

I just hope I'm not getting ahead of myself. Like I said, I just started in December.

You're welcome Ed!
Sure you're right.
In my opinion, PRS Guitars (even SE's) are instruments for a lifetime (and more).
I won't send my Tremonti SE for any price, even if I have higher price guitars.
So, if you have the money for a SE and you find one that matches your needs and that is agreeable to hold and play, you won't regret the choice.
I tried the Allender SE model one day. It's interesting too for sure, and it is made for more "actual" sound like Metal.

As a new member of the forum, let me introduce myself.

I grew up in a French town, and am a self-educated musician (to be true, I think I'm self-educated in almost everything I do or know ^^).

My first encounter with PRS guitars was back in 2005 I think, in a music store I had the habit to go quite often.
I will always remember it. I was looking at all the guitars that were on this little store, and I got attracted by the 4 PRS's that were placed above, in the left side of a platform that overhanded the rest of the store, lost among a bunch of Fender's, Jackson's, Epiphone's, etc
At this time I had an entry level Telecaster-like Cort electric guitar, and I thought I didn't deserve these beautiful instrument.

A year later, and after hours looking at them, I decided to ask the owner if he could take a Tremonti SE Platinum off the platform in order to test it, and I think that I definitely fell in love with these guitars. So my first love went to Singlecut models.

Then, after days of rehearsal and nights of gigs, I made some mods on it (#7 Pickups, graphite nut, knobs and electronics, DiMarzo Flamed Maple Pickup Rings, PRS Phase II Locking Tuners).
It stayed my main guitar to play on stage for years, then in January 2010 I got a wonderful Singlecut from 2000 with a 10 Top, birds, and hand-signed by PRS himself.
Actually I didn't played it a lot because I was feared by it, literally! I guess that's what some guys call "guitar MOJO" I don't know.

Then in last September I got a beautiful Custom 24 in a special custom color called "Faded Solana Smokeburst". I really like its versatility, the Pattern Thin Neck shape, and it is really lighter than Singlecut models.

My last love was for a Maple Neck Custom 24 in Orange Fade. It's a killer guitar with its ebony fretboard, maple neck and this awesome 10 Top.

Now it's the job part:
Through the years I've been first a musician, then composer, writer, sound engineer, and record producer.
Now I'm still all of that, but a added a string to my bow as the CEO of a world-class recording studio called Bad Eagle Studios (www.bad-eagle-studios.com).

I am here to share my knowledges about PRS guitars and music in general.
Thanks for reading guys!

Wow. That's an insane studio. I do voice work and metal vocals like a boss. /shameless plug

Hello everyone! I wanted to share my PRS with you. You can not play it however!

1003110_10201263529609241_43268972_n.jpg

That is AWESOME. Welcome!

Hell of a studio Chris, wow!

Jeff, I wouldn't be overly concerned(by what I can see in the pic). But, if I bought the guitar new, I might have PTC take care of that, assuming it's warranty covered...that it's not a ding and truly a "bubble" or whatever.

Welcome to all the new members! Hope you all enjoy the craziness and lust worthy content around here.

Jeff, I wouldn't be overly concerned(by what I can see in the pic). But, if I bought the guitar new, I might have PTC take care of that, assuming it's warranty covered...that it's not a ding and truly a "bubble" or whatever.

Welcome to all the new members! Hope you all enjoy the craziness and lust worthy content around here.

Thanks a lot vchizzle!

Thanks V! I sent the PTC folks an email and registered the guitar earlier this week. Hopefully they'll have an idea whether it is a problem. And yes, so much lust worthy stuff here.

A proper "hello" to everyone and Happy New Year!
my new year got off to a great start when a PRS DGT Red Tiger from Wildwood Guitars showed up Christmas morning. I was working on a January visit to Wildwood to try it out after putting a 1/3 down hold for 60 days. Little did I realize that my beautiful wife was on the phone with Troy Benns making arrangements to get it to Pgh by Christmas.Voilà, there it was! What a moment.
I have a 72 strat, 92 les paul standard, so it was time for a 2012 DGT was it not?
My gracious what a guitar.
looking forward to many happy notes this year!
best to you all
mike

So getting a PRS isn't going overboard for a newbie? :)

You know, I think that PRS Guitars are awesome instruments for sure, but also incredible pieces of Art.
So you don't need to be a musician to have PRS's. Then you don't need to be the best guitarist to play on a PRS.
As long as you can afford it, you are the one that can choose how you spend your money.
People that say "look at this newbie that holds that incredible guitar!" are most of the time jealous.

I've been selling PRS for 6 years now and I've seen all kind of people getting some, from the new guitarist to the multi-millionnaire amateur of great guitars.
There's no rule.

You know, I think that PRS Guitars are awesome instruments for sure, but also incredible pieces of Art.
So you don't need to be a musician to have PRS's. Then you don't need to be the best guitarist to play on a PRS.
As long as you can afford it, you are the one that can choose how you spend your money.
People that say "look at this newbie that holds that incredible guitar!" are most of the time jealous.

I've been selling PRS for 6 years now and I've seen all kind of people getting some, from the new guitarist to the multi-millionnaire amateur of great guitars.
There's no rule.

Excellent points Chris!

A few of my friends are giving me a hard time for getting a Les Paul to learn on, the other half love it.
I just want some variety and quality. 2013 was good to me financially and the wife said "whatever makes me happy". haha YAY! :)
I'm just going to do more research before I pull the trigger on a PRS. But as of right now I like the Paul Allender.

So many people buy a cheap guitar as a "starter", and then quit playing, because the "starter" guitar played and sounded like crap…

But once, cry once...

Excellent points Chris!

A few of my friends are giving me a hard time for getting a Les Paul to learn on, the other half love it.
I just want some variety and quality. 2013 was good to me financially and the wife said "whatever makes me happy". haha YAY! :)
I'm just going to do more research before I pull the trigger on a PRS. But as of right now I like the Paul Allender.

You're totally right!
Take your time to choose, there's no hurry ;)

Back