Introduce yourself!

Hi, new here, but pretty active on other forums. I purchased a mint condition used PRS SE Santana today. I am primarily a Gibson Les Paul guy, and this is my first PRS since I sold my last one about 12 years ago.

Pretty impressed with the guitar.

Apparently I can’t post photos shortly after joining.
Welcome Gridlock! You best start saving for your next one, they multiply ;~)) I think you need 5 posts before you can link any photos (looks like you are at 4 as I type this so one more I believe and you will be able to link photos).

Hello, I am the proud new owner of an immaculate 2016 Custom 24 semi hollow with some kind of artist package. It's a matte charcoal burst with emerald edging. The neck PU is a 58/15tm, with a gold cover. The bridge pickup is a 85/15. The neck has outlined abalone birds. I'm not sure what the finger board is made of, but it looks like ebony. It came with the black paisley case that has a brown handle and brown ends. The case weighs more than the guitar. I had a friend adjust the action a hair and it plays very nicely.

Hello, I am the proud new owner of an immaculate 2016 Custom 24 semi hollow with some kind of artist package. It's a matte charcoal burst with emerald edging. The neck PU is a 58/15tm, with a gold cover. The bridge pickup is a 85/15. The neck has outlined abalone birds. I'm not sure what the finger board is made of, but it looks like ebony. It came with the black paisley case that has a brown handle and brown ends. The case weighs more than the guitar. I had a friend adjust the action a hair and it plays very nicely.

Congratulations on your new guitar and welcome.

Sounds like an awesome start to you PRS journey (and it will be a journey)! Welcome to the forum and be sure to share some pix with us of your beauty!!

Welcome Stella Blue!
We need to see that one! Post up some pics when you can and don’t forget to stick one into your avatar!;):)

Howdy, I’m Jay and this is my third post. I’ve been lingering for a long time but just now getting involved. I’m a long time owner of PRS guitars.
I play in a cover band, mainly 60s to 90s rock and roll. My #1 is a 2002 Swamp Ash Special. On deck is a 2006 CE-22. Both get gigged regularly. I also have a 2005 McRosie that was a gift from a girlfriend who is now my wife. The McRosie doesn’t get out of the house much as it’s too special to take to some of the dives we play. I’ve had other PRSs over the years, but these three are special lifetime friends.
Peace out, Jay

Howdy, I’m Jay and this is my third post. I’ve been lingering for a long time but just now getting involved. I’m a long time owner of PRS guitars.
I play in a cover band, mainly 60s to 90s rock and roll. My #1 is a 2002 Swamp Ash Special. On deck is a 2006 CE-22. Both get gigged regularly. I also have a 2005 McRosie that was a gift from a girlfriend who is now my wife. The McRosie doesn’t get out of the house much as it’s too special to take to some of the dives we play. I’ve had other PRSs over the years, but these three are special lifetime friends.
Peace out, Jay
Welcome Jay!
Sweet doggie in your avatar.;):)
Post some pics of your guitars when you can!

Peace out, Jay
Welcome aboard Jay! Sounds like a great harem (including the wifey!)!! Post some vids or audio of your gigging/recordings in the Studio & Stage section ;~))

Peace out, Jay

Welcome Jay. Congrats on the bonnie pooch, the wonderful lady on your life and your PRS guitars.

I am recently retired and FINALLY have the time to learn how to play guitar. What started me on this journey is co-writing two songs the past year with a much more talented cousin. The first song was a tribute to my 5th Great Grandfather who fought in the Revolutionary War and the second song was for my wife. I did the lyrics and my cousin wrote the arrangements and recorded most of the tracks. They both turned out great and inspired me to finally get a guitar (PRS CE 24) last month. So far, so good with learning some of the basics ... but as you all know it takes a lot of practice to get even to a moderate level of competence but I am determined to get there eventually. Any lesson tips for a newbie like myself would be appreciated. So far I am following Steve Stine's lessons on YouTube and also Marty Music. Going the YouTube route to learn the basics at my own pace for now.

Any lesson tips for a newbie like myself would be appreciated.
Welcome TonyT!

Quick practice tips:
Practice with a purpose, use a metronome, record yourself & play with others. But more than those, go slow and get it right, including counting out the rhythm. Otherwise you'll just just get good at making mistakes.

Also consider checking out Carl Brown:

I am recently retired and FINALLY have the time to learn how to play guitar. What started me on this journey is co-writing two songs the past year with a much more talented cousin. The first song was a tribute to my 5th Great Grandfather who fought in the Revolutionary War and the second song was for my wife. I did the lyrics and my cousin wrote the arrangements and recorded most of the tracks. They both turned out great and inspired me to finally get a guitar (PRS CE 24) last month. So far, so good with learning some of the basics ... but as you all know it takes a lot of practice to get even to a moderate level of competence but I am determined to get there eventually. Any lesson tips for a newbie like myself would be appreciated. So far I am following Steve Stine's lessons on YouTube and also Marty Music. Going the YouTube route to learn the basics at my own pace for now.
Welcome TonyT! We all still have plenty to learn!! I have owned guitars for over 30 years and I still suck ;~)) Enjoy the journey, music is the best!!!

Welcome TonyT!

Quick practice tips:
Practice with a purpose, use a metronome, record yourself & play with others. But more than those, go slow and get it right, including counting out the rhythm. Otherwise you'll just just get good at making mistakes.

Also consider checking out Carl Brown:
Thanks for that advice. I will check out Carl Brown’s videos.

Welcome TonyT! We all still have plenty to learn!! I have owned guitars for over 30 years and I still suck ;~)) Enjoy the journey, music is the best!!!
Learning the guitar seems a lot like golf. Takes practice, concentration and time to work through the learning process to get it right. There is also more than one way to get it right.

Any lesson tips for a newbie like myself would be appreciated. So far I am following Steve Stine's lessons on YouTube and also Marty Music. Going the YouTube route to learn the basics at my own pace for now.
It often depends on how far you want to take the learning process. There is lots of "technical" stuff that can easily sour a person on any instrument (can you say music theory?), but it all has it's place in the mix. What I found to be the real treat was playing along with songs you like, and You Tube is definitely your friend! That and getting together with other players that are willing to guide a newbie or a less experienced player along. Some guys are great, others will definitely let their own ego run wild and make you feel in adequate. These guys I avoid with no qualms, no matter how good they are (or think they are). Playing should be fun in order to be productive and develop your own style and sound. But dedication and practice pays off. There will be road blocks and hurdles to overcome, but never get discouraged, one day things will click. And it will happen!👌

It often depends on how far you want to take the learning process. There is lots of "technical" stuff that can easily sour a person on any instrument (can you say music theory?), but it all has it's place in the mix. What I found to be the real treat was playing along with songs you like, and You Tube is definitely your friend! That and getting together with other players that are willing to guide a newbie or a less experienced player along. Some guys are great, others will definitely let their own ego run wild and make you feel in adequate. These guys I avoid with no qualms, no matter how good they are (or think they are). Playing should be fun in order to be productive and develop your own style and sound. But dedication and practice pays off. There will be road blocks and hurdles to overcome, but never get discouraged, one day things will click. And it will happen!👌
Thanks for that advice. I am trying to avoid the technical stuff for now. Just learning the best way to play chords (for me) and some simple drills. Doing 2 or 3 practice sessions a day for about 30 minutes each. I have 6 or 7 easy songs to play along with and that has been going well. Also enjoying the different tones and effects you can get with the Boss GT1000 … it’s a blast.

Thanks for that advice. I am trying to avoid the technical stuff for now. Just learning the best way to play chords (for me) and some simple drills. Doing 2 or 3 practice sessions a day for about 30 minutes each. I have 6 or 7 easy songs to play along with and that has been going well. Also enjoying the different tones and effects you can get with the Boss GT1000 … it’s a blast.
Not sure what kind of music you are looking to do TonyT, but I have 700+ files in .txt format that are pretty easy. About 50% of them are really easy, another 45% are at best intermediate level and the remaining ones are a bit complex. I have collected these over the past few years in my learning process and cowboy chord mastery program. If you want a link to a zip file with those, let me know and I will PM it to you (or anyone else who might be interested). Here is a link to a list of the songs (list of songs is after list of bands these songs are from) for you to review.

EDIT: I have created a thread that has a link to all of this and more!

Last edited:
Back