How To Post Photos - 2024 and Beyond Edition

I guess I understand why, but good lord that’s a lot of work to post a pic, which is why I just don’t post pics here. This is the only forum I post on that I can’t just directly upload pics to. And again, I get it and I don’t know what other solution might exist. It’s just not worth it to me to go through all the trouble, so I just enjoy everyone else’s pics.
I used to post a lot of pics but now am the same as this member. Wish I could just easily send a pic/message to the group directly from my phone in a few seconds. I'd be sharing a lot then! Oh Well.

I don’t take offense. I’m legitimately asking if you know of a solution. Many small forums allow direct uploads. Many large forums don’t, especially music-centric forums, because users upload copyrighted photos of musicians/concerts.

If we continued to allow those uploads as we did in the past, we’d be litigated out of existence (I pay the server bills and I know what the litigation has cost).

If there’s a legal workaround/solution, I’m all ears. I am not, however, ok with putting the onus on the user.
See my reply to xfcclassic. Please make posting pics easy whatever it takes. Check out PRSGOW. Simple uploads from the phone.

Yes. It's so nice to just hit the pic on my phone and it goes directly easily to the group site. I have hundreds I sent there, I'd love to show some here but anyway! You would be a hero here and add many more good shots from members I bet if you duplicated what they do. Thanks.
i'm sure you can imagine that I don't have the staff of engineers and lawyers that Meta/Facebook does. i'm sorry for the inconvenience.

i'm sure you can imagine that I don't have the staff of engineers and lawyers that Meta/Facebook does. i'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Maybe your hiring demands are too stringent?

main-qimg-b2c2da7ba0b68f8e98e554b7100ea54c

More interesting - and more appropriate to the subject - than just typing 'ducks'!

If copyright violation is the driving force behind not allowing pictures to be uploaded directly to the PRS Forum, it would seem there must be a workaround on that issue. A paragraph in the "Terms And Conditions" of the forum should suffice to keep at bay, any responsibility that could be thrust upon PRS. And even if there was a violation (a copyrighted photo gets posted), most copyright disputes start with a cease and desist letter and if complied with, there is no legal case that makes it to the courts AFIK. Complying with such a letter is simple, remove picture from sight and maybe warn (or in persistent cases ban) user that posted it about the ramifications of copyright violations (as in read TOC again or GTFO). All that said, I find it unlikely that even 0.1% of pictures posted here would raise such hackles considering that the overwhelming majority of pix posted (from what I see) are of members instruments (have at it Alan, low hanging fruit there)!

I would note as well, that there is more to the picture stuff here on the site that simple upload direct. I have been a web programmer for 30+ years and have built custom forum software from the ground up. I have modified dozens of forum software packages to provide custom functionality that is not available in the stock program. When I first joined this forum, I had troubles even when using my own server to host the pix. Why? Because number one, it has to be at a https site. That is not mentioned ANYWHERE that I know of other than the tutorial I put together. It also must end in a web image extension (.jpg, .gif, .png, etc.) which is why google drive (a very secure platform) can not be used as your third party picture hosting service. I also have never seen this qualification mentioned anywhere other than my tutorial and my comments on this topic. This goes beyond the limitations of "must use a third party so we are not liable for copyright violations" and brings in whole new set of elements regarding WHO and HOW can a third party host material to be displayed here. This issue would be resolved without any additional efforts if direct uploads were implemented.

Finally, I think PRS misses an opportunity here in not letting others upload pix here. If the TOC had the proper wording ("PRS Corp. reserves the right to utilize in marketing and other promotional endeavors, all images uploaded to the PRS Forum. We do not own the copyright to your image, but we are reserve the right to use your image for our corporate marketing and promotional purposes. If you do not agree with such conditions, do not post any pictures here on the forum.") , all pictures uploaded here could be used by the PRS marketing department. What could be better than the enthusiasm of your users and their praises/pix of your product? It is in my perspective, a marketing treasure trove that is being passed over. And you do NOT get such rights when people are "linking" the pix from other sites (although wording could be fashioned to give PRS such rights I would imagine, but then you are just taking advantage of people IMO).

Any arguments about the "cost" of storage of the pix is uninformed! I would bet my bottom dollar that the storage space necessary to host the pix uploaded by users would amount to a fraction of the cost of a SE guitar. I get 8TB drives for $120 (and have been for several years). One of those drives would hold ~8 million photos at 1MB each (and many photos are going to be 10% of that file size if that). My server account where I host my websites has UNLIMITED storage available at no additional charge (and that costs me $20/month).

I LOVE my PRS guitars and my enthusiasm has undoubtedly helped to influence other to whom I have sung my praises. I LOVE that PRS is a small private corporation and keeping the product pure. I do believe however, without any expectations, that the picture situation could be overcome with some legal wording/software adjustments and it would make many users more comfortable with usage of the forum. It may even increase usage which would increase exposure to the product line which could increase sales, blah blah blah ;~)) I am here regardless of how the pix are done! Like I have said for the past 3 years here on the forum "Once you PRS, you won't settle for less!" ;~))

If copyright violation is the driving force behind not allowing pictures to be uploaded directly to the PRS Forum, it would seem there must be a workaround on that issue. A paragraph in the "Terms And Conditions" of the forum should suffice to keep at bay, any responsibility that could be thrust upon PRS. And even if there was a violation (a copyrighted photo gets posted), most copyright disputes start with a cease and desist letter and if complied with, there is no legal case that makes it to the courts AFIK. Complying with such a letter is simple, remove picture from sight and maybe warn (or in persistent cases ban) user that posted it about the ramifications of copyright violations (as in read TOC again or GTFO). All that said, I find it unlikely that even 0.1% of pictures posted here would raise such hackles considering that the overwhelming majority of pix posted (from what I see) are of members instruments (have at it Alan, low hanging fruit there)!

google the DMCA. a common issue for forums like us. for example, the much more heavily-trafficked Steve Hoffman forums (with 30-40 million posts and 120K+ members.

it's not about likelihood or speculation: we used to allow user uploads and that caused problems regardless of what you put in the terms and conditions.

I would note as well, that there is more to the picture stuff here on the site that simple upload direct. I have been a web programmer for 30+ years and have built custom forum software from the ground up. I have modified dozens of forum software packages to provide custom functionality that is not available in the stock program. When I first joined this forum, I had troubles even when using my own server to host the pix. Why? Because number one, it has to be at a https site. That is not mentioned ANYWHERE that I know of other than the tutorial I put together.

then i'm sure you understand in 2024 https:// is not exactly optional. it's the standard

It also must end in a web image extension (.jpg, .gif, .png, etc.) which is why google drive (a very secure platform) can not be used as your third party picture hosting service. I also have never seen this qualification mentioned anywhere other than my tutorial and my comments on this topic. This goes beyond the limitations of "must use a third party so we are not liable for copyright violations" and brings in whole new set of elements regarding WHO and HOW can a third party host material to be displayed here. This issue would be resolved without any additional efforts if direct uploads were implemented.

yes, to display an image in this html page you probably need to use an image file extension.

Any arguments about the "cost" of storage of the pix is uninformed! I would bet my bottom dollar that the storage space necessary to host the pix uploaded by users would amount to a fraction of the cost of a SE guitar. I get 8TB drives for $120 (and have been for several years). One of those drives would hold ~8 million photos at 1MB each (and many photos are going to be 10% of that file size if that). My server account where I host my websites has UNLIMITED storage available at no additional charge (and that costs me $20/month).

As I've stated, the cost and tech lift has nothing to do with it. We'd be happy to foot any bill (expect being sued) to make uploading images slightly easier.

I LOVE my PRS guitars and my enthusiasm has undoubtedly helped to influence other to whom I have sung my praises. I LOVE that PRS is a small private corporation and keeping the product pure. I do believe however, without any expectations, that the picture situation could be overcome with some legal wording/software adjustments and it would make many users more comfortable with usage of the forum. It may even increase usage which would increase exposure to the product line which could increase sales, blah blah blah ;~)) I am here regardless of how the pix are done! Like I have said for the past 3 years here on the forum "Once you PRS, you won't settle for less!" ;~))

like I said, I'm open to suggestions and would run them by our team if a workable one was proposed. I don't have access to DRM, AI content crawling/validation, a content review team, etc. A DMCA takedown request process would be the most potentially workable. it's been a few years since we've visited that and i'll look into it again. at the time, that was not what was advised.

I used to post a lot of pics but now am the same as this member. Wish I could just easily send a pic/message to the group directly from my phone in a few seconds. I'd be sharing a lot then! Oh Well.
Include me with all these sentiments. No desire to post pics if it's going to be a pain. It's too bad because I just got a strap based on the recommendations from this forum, and would love to show the group. Things like posting pics shouldn't involve multiple steps and outside services.

Point taken, but if, like me, you don’t have an existing account with an image hosting service it’s a bit more of a pain. Not the end of the world but since this forum is the only reason I’d ever use it… well, obviously my annoyance at having to set one up hasn’t yet been overcome by my desire to post a few pics here. I only have four PRS guitars anyway lol.

Point taken, but if, like me, you don’t have an existing account with an image hosting service it’s a bit more of a pain. Not the end of the world but since this forum is the only reason I’d ever use it… well, obviously my annoyance at having to set one up hasn’t yet been overcome by my desire to post a few pics here. I only have four PRS guitars anyway lol.
I opened a account on imugr just for this forum. It's so easy to post a pic on this forum. I even use the imgr app when I'm just on my phone. It's very very easy.

As I Have Said Before... I Would Post Way More Content If It Were Easier To Do. I Have ZERO Interest In An Outside Hosting Site To Do So. Hiring Moondog (Who Has Been Very Gracious And Kind To Help Me In The Past) Would Cut Into My Gear Problem And He Is Worthy Of Top Dollar Pay But None Of My Companies Are Hiring.

Back