How To Post Photos - 2024 and Beyond Edition

james

Administrator
Staff member
To post a photo to the PRS Forums, please use an image hosting service. A popular option is Imgur.com. Below are the steps to host a photos on Imgur.com - other photo hosting sites should have a similar process.

1. Go to imgur.com and click “New Post” (or go directly to imgur.com/upload)

yrdmrCp.png

2. Drag and drop your image to “Drop Images Here” or “choose photo” and select the file from your computer.

kLQL6cu.png

3. Next to Copy Link, click the menu button and click “Get Share Links”

0a6C2zw.png

4. Copy the text from the BBCode (Forums) option

xzAWKaE.png

5. Paste into a post and you should be good!

0p2tUoi.png

Just wondering why the forum is still using an imaging host service? On another forum I'm on, you simply click on the "image" link, open the image from your computer files, and insert it. I readily admit I have no technical knowledge of this stuff. All I know is after two clicks with no copy/paste efforts, the image is in my post.

EDIT - I just saw post #9 in the "Has Something Changed..." thread, which seems to answer this question. Not sure why the two forums handle "copyrights" differently, but my question is answered.

Just wondering why the forum is still using an imaging host service? On another forum I'm on, you simply click on the "image" link, open the image from your computer files, and insert it. I readily admit I have no technical knowledge of this stuff. All I know is after two clicks with no copy/paste efforts, the image is in my post.

EDIT - I just saw post #9 in the "Has Something Changed..." thread, which seems to answer this question. Not sure why the two forums handle "copyrights" differently, but my question is answered.

I’m curious what the other forum is. Have you ever checked out the Steve Hoffman forums? Extremely popular and same policy as here for the same reasons. Maybe visibility = more of a target? I have no issue with photographers concerns of dominion over their work, but it creates a grey area for user uploaded content.

It's "Lets Talk Guild". To your point, it's privately owned by one of the members, and certainly a smaller forum.

I'm regularly on two other music forums. One allows pictures to be loaded directly (with a very small amount of space allocated for uploads), the other requires a third-party solution, like it's done here.

I get that the third-party solution requires an extra step, but it really doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. The concept itself is very simple. The complications users have had have usually been a result of how a given third-party addresses the pictures. Or, in rare cases, a user trying to use something like Dropbox as a photo-hosting site, which it is not.

So glad that the administrators have decided to update this topic. Although imgur is popular and used by many here, there are other methods of posting images here on the forum. For details on all known threads regarding posting images on this PRS Forum, go to https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/sharing-pictures-on-prs-forum.47818/ . Here you will find tutorials for imgur and other methods of posting pix including details of criteria that must be met for the images to be viewable by all users. The link to this thread has now been included in that post as well.

I was half joking with my comment because I'm sure everyone here knows how I feel about posting pictures here. No disrespect meant. I just think we should be able to upload pics directly from our devices here like 99% of forums. :)

I don’t take offense. I’m legitimately asking if you know of a solution. Many small forums allow direct uploads. Many large forums don’t, especially music-centric forums, because users upload copyrighted photos of musicians/concerts.

If we continued to allow those uploads as we did in the past, we’d be litigated out of existence (I pay the server bills and I know what the litigation has cost).

If there’s a legal workaround/solution, I’m all ears. I am not, however, ok with putting the onus on the user.

I guess I understand why, but good lord that’s a lot of work to post a pic, which is why I just don’t post pics here. This is the only forum I post on that I can’t just directly upload pics to. And again, I get it and I don’t know what other solution might exist. It’s just not worth it to me to go through all the trouble, so I just enjoy everyone else’s pics.

Back